Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th January 2013, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18192

Breezy
Default Frontier Nether portals

May I build one in my house? I see many scattered around - are there any rules on this?

Also - what server difficulty is frontier set to? Hard?

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th January 2013, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

Yes, you can build nether portals in the main world, but you can't build one in the nether (in case the other end creates a portal in someone's house).

But, there's a bit of maths involved if you want to make sure your portal gets placed in a good spot in the nether. That's something I don't know about, but people like Admiral usually help people get that sorted out.

I think it might be normal difficulty. It's not hard or easy.... so it must be "normal"

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

When in the overworld, press F3, divide the X and Z values by 8 and you get the corresponding coordinates in the nether

Most likely though your portal will link with an already existing portal in the nether, although that portal will not link to your portal so you will probably end up in the spawn portal when traveling back.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 18th January 2013 at 11:38 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post

Most likely though your portal will link with an already existing portal in the nether, although that portal will not link to your portal so you will probably end up in the spawn portal when traveling back.
Bingo.

My portal goes to the 'main' portal in the nether and coming back sends me to overworld spawn. From there I /tp home.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 19th January 2013, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

That's why if you get someone to help you - they can often work it out so your portal won't interfere with another portal for you

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Tired

I did a lot of work on the portals at one point and I'm spending a bit of time in Frontier again so if I see you online I'm more than happy to lend a hand
Old 19th January 2013, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Well, we (my son is on the whitelist with permission) built the portal hoping we could port to the wild west of the untamed nether - only to find a lot of cobblestone and glass. It wa more like a viewing platform/observatorium. Surprise and confusion were our first thoughts. Then we realised that even the nether is not safe from TOG.

My son was a bit disappointed but now he's wondered around the tog portion of the Nether I think he's okay. The chests full of "take me - I'm free" seems to have sold him. I think he took some free ender pearls and an enchanted something or other and now he's happy to run around hacking pigmies. *shrug* he's fickle.

For my own learning though - are there some easy rules for portal placement? I have not even googled this at all and I'm happy to do that first. Cheers.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Old 19th January 2013, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

The good thing about the nether is you can go as far as you can go....so tell your son to pack a lunch, take a tent and go for a wander......wont take too long to get to uncharted parts.

I think the easiest way for portals is as Daed outlined - perhaps if you get the co-ords of the spawn point in the nether, you can get some idea of where a gate placed in the 'real' world will come out?

Also make sure you take a trip to the end - the Dragon has been defeated, but there are a couple of excelent ender man xp grinders - you can get to lvl 30 in less that a minute.
Old 19th January 2013, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

If you want to manually work out placement devide your overworld coords by 8.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

And at what point do other portals 'interfere'?

TOG Sponsor $5 a month