Old 17th February 2013, 09:51 PM   #151 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 988

Shocked

My point has been missed completely. I do not care to know what you are doing behind the scenes, that is not my business.

I will use last night as an example, whoever the 'Server' is when they chat in the FTB server said 'Server will be restarting very soon'. This is fine but typing 'Server will be restarting in 2 minutes' would be better than what was said.

When the server restarted we were all guests. When questioned we got the blunt and frankfully rude response of 'Updating, doing admin stuff, you dont need to know what we are doing'. Now I play games to relax and have fun, not be belittled and made to feel like I am a spec of dirt on the bottom of someones shoe.

It would have been much nicer and tactful to say 'Hey guys, when the server restarts we need to update some stuff and this will affect your game, just a heads up' It is nice, friendly and to the point.

I am not asking for what the admin team chat about, what you are doing, what you are planning etc, all I am saying is perhaps just give us a heads up when you are going to affect the server and game play using a small message like above. That way we all know what is going on and we can adapt accordingly.

If we got a problem, we can solve it, we just lock the thread, whilst we refuse to solve it.
Penthrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th February 2013, 10:03 PM   #152 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

Quote:
I will use last night as an example, whoever the 'Server' is when they chat in the FTB server said 'Server will be restarting very soon'. This is fine but typing 'Server will be restarting in 2 minutes' would be better than what was said.
Ok, to use last night as an example (because I was sitting there watching the admin screen too)... There was a "BTW, server will be restarting in a moment" type message, then a moment later the server put up it's automated message saying "server will restart in 1 minute" and one minute later it did restart. Then when it came back on, people were complaining that they were not given enough warning that the server would be shutting down.

DESPITE the fact that the server shuts down EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at 2:45 for a restart, and there were 2 warnings given in game as well. This should be ample warning, and complaining about not having enough warning, as well as complaining about not being informed that there would be any testing on the server, at that time of night, when the admins are staying up late in order to help make a better server for the players - yes.... sometimes people are going to be blunt.

This is the sort of thing Sorontar's message about respecting the admin team was talking about - We understand you were inconvenienced by being logged back in as a guest last night. But that was an unfortunate side affect we were not expecting, and having players complain about that and a lack of warning for the server shutting down, is not really giving proper respect or courtesy to the admins. Treat us nicely and we'll be nice back - be annoyed and angry at us and you might get a blunt/quick reply back.

We are doing the best we can

Obviously we were not expecting there to be problems when we did what we did last night - which is why we did not feel the need to tell anyone that there was going to be any change. We had hoped it would be seamless and everyone could continue on with their lives. We wanted to get it fixed asap, however, people need sleep and the decision was made to turn the server off and deal with it the following day. Which we are doing (when we're not having to come in here and justify what we're doing and why)

Had we known there would have been a problem, we would have taken the server down, tested it then put it back. Our testing on home servers had gone well, and we wrongfully assumed it would all go right on the server.

Last edited by Obsi; 17th February 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:38 PM   #153 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2945

Amused

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:56 PM   #154 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 625

Tired

I feel your pain, not because I can't play but because I've been there before. With work we rely on 3rd party data providers (namely the TAB) and to be honest their constant changes F us in the A all the time but our clients only see our product not working no matter what the issue is or even if they are given a back door glimpse as to why.

With the downsized company, not only am I the sys admin and customer support manager, but the only customer support rep... 2000+ users in Aus/NZ out for my head.

So yeah I feel your pain, good luck guys and gals.

it has given me a chance to install l4d2 again though
Old 17th February 2013, 10:56 PM   #155 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

so I take it the server is still down (and learning thaumatorgy did not work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
[1] If you can't understand that, think of what could happen if we made all our admin tools and security measures become public knowledge.
I have no idear what could happen as any one that would do anything like that would not be able to get in the server to do anything ,,,,,, could they ? isnt that what the white list is for

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 11:16 PM   #156 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

If you give away the plans for the bank, it makes the bank easier to rob...

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 12:11 AM   #157 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 515

Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Ok, to use last night as an example (because I was sitting there watching the admin screen too)... There was a "BTW, server will be restarting in a moment" type message, then a moment later the server put up it's automated message saying "server will restart in 1 minute" and one minute later it did restart. Then when it came back on, people were complaining that they were not given enough warning that the server would be shutting down.

DESPITE the fact that the server shuts down EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at 2:45 for a restart, and there were 2 warnings given in game as well. This should be ample warning, and complaining about not having enough warning, as well as complaining about not being informed that there would be any testing on the server, at that time of night, when the admins are staying up late in order to help make a better server for the players - yes.... sometimes people are going to be blunt.

This is the sort of thing Sorontar's message about respecting the admin team was talking about - We understand you were inconvenienced by being logged back in as a guest last night. But that was an unfortunate side affect we were not expecting, and having players complain about that and a lack of warning for the server shutting down, is not really giving proper respect or courtesy to the admins. Treat us nicely and we'll be nice back - be annoyed and angry at us and you might get a blunt/quick reply back.
Just so were clear, in the example of not getting much warning about the shutdown. There was only 1 message displayed ( "BTW, server will be restarting in a moment") and then about 30 seconds later the server went down. There were no other messages displayed to the players.

So if the admins are seeing that more than the one that was given, I propose that there is something wrong with the notifications. Probable cause of all the frustration and confusion in regards to this issue.

I also propose that you increase the warning to a 5min, 2 and a 1 min warning. It gives plenty of time for people to turn their machines off. Considering this such a high priority to avoid lag, it would make sense to give people more than 1 min to get back and do this as some people log off at server shutdown.

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 12:12 AM   #158 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 46

Relaxed

there was about a 2 sec warning before the server restarted last night... i read the warning and then it restarted and a heads up about the admin update would have been nice.. something in chat like hey guys the server is about to restart and the admin team is going to do some update so go make a coffee or have a break for 10 min while we do the update...something like that would have been nice.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:47 AM   #159 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9164

The code is to give the 1 min warning, sleep 60 secs, then shutdown. The warning was visible in the server console. I wrote another warning manually about 20 secs later. One minute exactly after the first warning, it shut down, as it has been doing for the last few weeks.

Players have been warned in the past in the forum and in-game that this happens but obviously this is not sufficient. People also seem to be forgetting that at 1am Sydney time the backups start and at 3am on Sunday morning the mapping starts. When we have the time, we will look at placing these details in a sticky and check the in-game messaging of an already faulty unofficially modded game.

As to the changes we instigated, we did not anticipate problems so we saw no reason to warn you of it. It was unfortunate that the unexpected changes did occur, but lucky that I was available to shut the server down.

As I have said before, this is a game full of unknowns. We cannot anticipate everything. Hiccups occur. Enjoy what we can provide you for free using a volunteer team of divisional assistants.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 18th February 2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: add 'unexpected'
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 01:03 AM   #160 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 46

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZROK View Post
isnt that what the white list is for
yes and no.. The white-list.txt file is for access to the minecraft itsself not the sever and same with admins that are add the ops.txt file with the mindcrack folder to even get access to the files to see all the sever config and mods someone would have to hack the server or know the win logon password.