Old 25th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #321 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking
Default Mindcrack: MOAR POWER!!!! (WIP - PIC Heavy)

So you want moar POWER!!!!!
Maybe you have an excess of Uranium, or just need to run a shiny new machine!! Either way a sad realisation has come upon you, that solar array just ain’t cutting it anymore, your lava supplies are not sufficent, and no matter how green your thumb is Bio Fuel just aint there.
So whats left, Petro Generator (fuel) but that means relying on dead Dinosaurs, and there can’t have been many of them, of course there is Nuclear!

The Facts:
Nuclear power was once a thing of Danger, but with advancements in remote sensors, redstone etc the modern reactor is no more dangerous than a pet Creeper...err Rabbit!

The Design:
All Nuclear Reactor’s start life the same, they are 5 chambers surround a reactor, you can of course use anywhere from 1 to 5 chambers but remember that the chambers themselves offer you some cooling. So the more the better even if your going for a humble mk1 setup.
First make a casing, the casing has to be
7 Long
6 Wide,
5 Deep
The reason for this odd shape is to allow plenty of cooling around the reactor, while allowing access to one chamber face for the safety system. Reactors need loads of cooling, and while it can be done without water, the water does take the edge off.

To make sure you have water Source blocks all the way around the reactor, it is recommended you place layers of ice and break them, this will make sure no flowing water (which is useless for cooling in FTB) and is easier than using a bucket.

But before I get too far ahead, what to make the casing from?
Glass, stone and other basic materials are useless, Obsidian is good, but will only shrink an explosion by about 10 blocks, Reinforced stone or Glass is best, they will stop the explosion in its tracks, well kind of, a mk1 low yeild reactor will be stopped, but ramp up the power the explosion is greater, to stop a large explosion you need 3 thick reinforced stone!

Here is an example of a glass, stone and Obsidian Chambers (no cooling) and the respective Fall out, the stone one did not work cause it was destroyed by the glass explosion

Reinforced Glass and Stone on the other hand

(this second picture is post explosion, yes thats right no damage!)

The Safety:
For this you need a remote sensor and a remote monitor. Using an inverted redstone Signal you can power the reactor, having the remote monitor set to 500 and wired into the reactor you will make sure that the reactor won’t go boom.

Once the reactor hits 500 heat units, the redstone signal will be cut and no more heat or power will be generated.

So To Build a Reactor
Step 1 - Reactor on Block

Step 2 - make the Chambers and attach them to the sides

Step 3 - Build the Box

Step 4 - Using Ice Fill it with Water

Step 5 -Remote Monitor and Wiring
Set up your remote Sensor system (just ask I can give more detailed instructions) you wiring, to power storage etc

Last edited by DarkDuck; 28th February 2013 at 10:28 PM.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th February 2013, 07:49 PM   #322 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2344

Cynical

Sorry gang, I give up.

I've tried reinstalling, port forwarding, updating firewalls, turning them off, updating java, allocating more than 2 gigs of ram and it just doesn't work. People see me moving around in game fine and see my text as I type it, I get almost no updates back from the server then get connection reset error and kick. I'm positive it must be my router because of this, but I don't understand why it's not working when I forward the 25565 UPD/TCP ports.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 07:58 PM   #323 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

That really sucks. Hopefully we will get the chance to load up some adventure maps on Frontier in coming weeks so at least you get a game.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:36 PM   #324 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yeah, have you tried connecting to frontier? If that works then you can discard any problems that might be related to firewalls and connection issues at least.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 08:39 PM   #325 (permalink)

Cynical

I can connect to other online games like battlefield 3 without issue.

- OJ

Edit: Edit: Ok, port is open when I'm hosting a server so that suggests it's working. Really am an my wits end. Not a pleasant way to spend my evening lol

Last edited by OranjeJus; 25th February 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:43 PM   #326 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Instead of very inefficient magma crucibles, why don't you look around for normal lava? It's pretty easy to find, and in worst case you can even set up a pump in the nether.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 08:54 PM   #327 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2898

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Instead of very inefficient magma crucibles, why don't you look around for normal lava? It's pretty easy to find, and in worst case you can even set up a pump in the nether.
How do you get it back from the nether?

Also, isnt lava limited though?? how long can one supply block last?

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 08:57 PM   #328 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

to turn Cobble to Lava you need 20000 MJ
An electric Engine (without upgrades) produces 5 mj/t for 12.5 EU/T

So rough maths you need 4000 Cycles of a normal electric engine to produce enough energy so thats 50,000 EU needed for 1 Lava Source Block.

1 lava block only produces 20,000 eu so you would not be able to keep up with demand.

I still point you towards a petro generator, 300,000 eu from 1 bucket of Fuel!!!
Bio Generator
8,000 EU at 8 EU/t for Biomass
32,000 EU at 16 EU/t for Biofuel

For the Petro Generator
A bucket of Oil will make 30,000 EU at 10 EU/t.
A Bucket of Fuel will produce 300,000 EU at 25 EU/t.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 09:34 PM   #329 (permalink)
Div. Vice Captain
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2582 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

Awesome post Duck. I'm super scared of nuclear hey, might have to give it a whirl on my single player map.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:49 PM   #330 (permalink)

Cynical

In case it gives anyone some ideas while I'm asleep/at work, here's the last part of my log when I get booted:

2013-02-25 23:47:26 [INFO] [STDOUT] Loaded codechicken.wirelessredstone.addons.NEIWirelessAdd onConfig
2013-02-25 23:47:32 [WARNING] [FZ] No renderer for ID 5
2013-02-25 23:47:42 [INFO] [PortalGun] [1.4.7v2] Received world props from server.
2013-02-25 23:48:13 [WARNING] [FZ] No renderer for ID 0
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at org.bouncycastle.crypto.io.CipherInputStream.nextC hunk(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at org.bouncycastle.crypto.io.CipherInputStream.read( Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at cz.a(SourceFile:2
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at ef.a(Packet.java:166)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at cg.i(TcpConnection.java:320)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at cg.c(TcpConnection.java:540)
2013-02-25 23:48:26 [INFO] [STDERR] at ch.run(SourceFile:93)