Old 5th March 2013, 03:01 AM   #551 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

How often does it run turtle.detect() though? I take it that is inside some main loop? In that case I would suggest not running that more often than let's say every 60 seconds.

Step two would be to have the turtle keep track of 4 trees in a circle around it.

Step three could let the turtle keep track of a large forest area and handle the logging itself, removing the need for a logger altogether. But that would require some fancy coding.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th March 2013, 03:30 AM   #552 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2912

Grumpy

That was intended as a code fragment, not a whole program. You are, of course, right, you'll want a delay on how often that runs.

You could plant trees all around and use turtle.detectLeft(), turtle.detectRight(), etc.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:00 AM   #553 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2372

Cynical

The Steve's cart tree farm we have at home only works with vanilla brand trees. Definately doesn't do rubber, and I doubt it does the spruce etc.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 08:38 AM   #554 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5609 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

you can use Forestry Mod's tree farms for the standard tree's oak, birch and Spruce
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:20 AM   #555 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3002

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by OranjeJus View Post
The Steve's cart tree farm we have at home only works with vanilla brand trees. Definately doesn't do rubber, and I doubt it does the spruce etc.
- OJ
- Looks like forestry it is - Duck, do you know if forestry will harvest FIR/Redwood etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
That was intended as a code fragment, not a whole program.
You could plant trees all around and use turtle.detectLeft(), turtle.detectRight(), etc.
Uh oh, how tough are the programs to write? I know visual basic and python so it cant be that hard right?? right??

On a side note - i like your suggestion above, what is the command to detect in the space in front? Can use that to detect if there is an object in front of the turtule, if a negative is returned it runs the code to plant the sapling.

In regards to the forestry mod, is there a set height (i think 21 spaces?) and does it chop the trees from the top down?? Also curious to know if it chops the leaves i.e. to aquire new saplings??

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:29 AM   #556 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

sadly it only handles the standard tree's
Old 5th March 2013, 09:41 AM   #557 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9194

Theoretically, you can program a set of turtles to move around tree sites. One checks for missing trees and plants new ones. One chops down grown trees. Both would need to check their fuel level ocassionally and fill up when needed. Both would need to be able to be turned off when you aren't in the game.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:43 AM   #558 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3002

Amused

Looks like im going to have to build an array of turtles then.....found this useful code for climbing a tree to fell it, i could integrate the planting of the saplings. I would probably modify it so it checks if there is a block above, keeps going up until there isnt then chops down, can get it to trim leaves on the way down too theoretically.. ..which should collect saplings..

Turtle Lumberjack (tutorial) - ComputerCraft Wiki

How do you actually write the code? Is that all it requires?

Also, how are they turned on/off?

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

Last edited by white_bear_84; 5th March 2013 at 09:46 AM.
white_bear_84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 10:05 AM   #559 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2372

Cynical

Forestry is where I started and so:

Arboretum also only handles vanilla trees. It chops them down from bottom up. Leaves decay normally and the logger picks up the fallen saplings automagically.

Personally, I would suggest: Steve's carts for all valid vanilla trees, turtles for the others.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 10:23 AM   #560 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

fyi my reactyor set up will be
IndustrialCraft Reactor Planner v3