Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th February 2013, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5609 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

if you take my underwater city, I used 3 methods here
1) All passageways were made by making the entrance, filling it with signs, then building the next few sections, fill with sand, dig out, repeat (signs take up a "block" and create a nice air pocket.

2) the door and post! This methodf is great for area's that are largish, you create sections where you can refuel your air, allowing you to fill in larger area's.

3) the top fill, For my 140 radius dome I am using this method, filling up a stack of gravel, then removing the dirt and sending the gravel to the deep, doing this is time consuming, painful, but is faster than other methods, it also allows for tweaking the design here and there. Best for mega structures

There is also the enchants etc but all in all in Vanilla MC, the best way is fill with sand or gravel (sands best) and thats that, but it takes time to do it right
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th February 2013, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18206

Breezy

Thx guys. How about a complete fill, with no care or finese, then a complete extraction. With four dams keeping the water out, you can build on the sea floor in broad daylight for as long as you need to. The final act is removing the dam walls, let the water flow over the top and your structure is now under water.

You are filling/extracting the same volume (possibly) but have complete freedom of movement. My only concern is ensuring the water is 'smooth' after the dam walls come down.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9194

I would start removing the dam from the bottom up. That will ensure you
1) don't have to try and remove dam walls underwater (which takes longer)
2) You can make sure the water is not running on each level.

On the old Survival world, I made my version of the Nautilas (cf. In pursuit of Dr. Stefan Moriarty... (pic heavy)). My problem was that it needed to be bigger than the ocean floor, so I had to not only wall off the water, but also had to dig out a big area of the seabed, making sure the water didn't come in from above. Then I had to let it in when finished. The hardest bit was making sure that there was water under the submarine. It was hard to throw water when swimming underwater.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5120

Amused

A quick way to remove an entire column of sand is dig the bottom block and replace it with a torch. Hope that still works.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
A quick way to remove an entire column of sand is dig the bottom block and replace it with a torch. Hope that still works.
Yeah that's my favorite way of removing sand and gravel.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Quote:
With four dams keeping the water out, you can build on the sea floor in broad daylight for as long as you need to. The final act is removing the dam walls, let the water flow over the top and your structure is now under water.
That probably won't work as you intend, because you won't get flat water, it will flow from where the dam wall was.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18206

Breezy

Ya. This is my greatst fear. I really dont understand the properties of water. I have a river near my home with holes all over it with water flowing at crazy angles because ive taken water from a place i shouldnt and dont know how to fix it.

The currents trap mobs though.

TOG Sponsor $5 a month
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Water is a bit of a tricky beast..

Generally water that is only one deep will self level. So if you want to level out water, build a layer 1 block beneath, it will level and you can then remove that layer. There is another way but it is a bit difficult to explain, better to show you in game if you need it.

One thing to be wary of though is that doing anything underwater will create currents if you're not careful, and if you get stuck in a current, it is very easy to drown because it is difficult to get out.

Currents form underwater when you remove blocks. But if you remove blocks from the top down, you don't get currents, because the water can level itself.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 12:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I think the newest version of minecraft (or possibly one of the snapshots) should fix water source block regeneration, even when deeper than 1. I just don't remember where I read it.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

you would have to make air pockets to place the markers for a filler

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote