Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th February 2013, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 950

Mellow
Default Defining "Claims" within Minecraft

Hello Toggers,

Do we have guideliness on accepted methods of staking out a claim within the minecraft worlds (mindcrack and vanilla alike) ?

Do all members (including their little ones) have access to such claims postings? If not, who has limited access and how is this information communicated to them?

What is an acceptable buffer from the nearest claim signage? (ie: If I see someone marking an area with torches, what is a reasonable distance to start building?)

What is an acceptable grace period when someone has jumped in and contact is initiated prior to removing the blocks? One week? Two? I would gather this latter part would be something up to the admins to handle/authorize.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th February 2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318

Lurking

I don't think there ever has been a defining "claim".
I know when Frontier started, most would post a general area as claim but it was never a set in stone graph.

Usually, if I see something I am after, like a mine, spawn, or something...and it looks like the area is occupied by someone else, I will try to snoop out who and ask if they are using it.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

All people who have access to the server can claim some land to build on.

As space in the FTBCity is limited and almost full, we would appreciate that players who don't intend to really use their city plots or don't intend to play much, don't claim one, so that the remaining ones are free for other players to use.... but that's really the only claim-type restriction.

We have no formal defining methods for claims. A signpost letting people know that not only the area is claimed, by by whom - is a very good idea. As is marking out the boundaries (or corners) by torches and/or blocks, so other players can get an idea of how much land you are claiming (I tend to claim more than I think I'll need, since you always end up needing more )

Some people like to have the land to themselves and not have a neighbour within view - so it is courtesy to make sure your claim is not within view distance (on maximum"far" view distance) of someone else, unless you've checked with that person that they would appreciate a close neighbour.

Likewise starting a mine, treefarm or other construction you may not consider your "claim", within view distance of someone (without their ok) is impolite for the same reason - some people choose their locations because of the terrain around them, and changes to that terrain may not be well received.

For example my house is in a valley, so you could say my official "claim" is only within the walls/fences I've placed around my house - but I would be annoyed if someone chopped down the forest or mined away the mountains surrounding my valley - as it's all part of the reason I chose that particular valley to build my house in.

Quote:
What is an acceptable grace period when someone has jumped in and contact is initiated prior to removing the blocks? One week? Two? I would gather this latter part would be something up to the admins to handle/authorize.
So are you meaning how long after a player seems to have abandoned their claim, can someone else claim it? Never. A player's claim/building is always left as is, even if they have left the server and are not intending to return (with the exception of FTBCity plots). There is plenty of space, so their creations can remain untouched as part of TOGMinecraft history.

Also, people can be actively building underground, so the surface may not change, but underground may.

Or do you mean how long to leave it if you ask someone if you can build within view of them? Personally I'd say you should not build if you've not got their ok, as again, there is plenty of space and some people don't like neighbours in view.... but in the past, we've tended to have the policy whereby people post a pic on the forum of their proposed claim (from the world map image), and leave it a week for people to give any objections.

With the new mapping it is now not possible to see who has settled in a location (unlike tectonicus which showed players and beds).... so that makes it harder to see who has a particular claim... which is where signposting whose place it is, is important.

Last edited by Obsi; 25th February 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9239

As indicated, players don't have to make a claim[1], but marking out an area before construction/mining is a good idea. However, checking your surroundings for other players is also required. Then it comes down to negotiation between you and them. They may let you run your railway/aqueduct/road through their area, or may not. Likewise, they may let you mine the sand from the waterways/chop trees/gather bees or not.

We might have to add a night map for both servers to help torches be more visible. The fact that lava and beehives glow doesn't ever help things.

With test FTB city plots, they had a loose lifetime where if you leave the server for a significant time (ie. a couple of months), your city plot may be regarded as free for development. That is not presently in the division's rules for the Mindcrack city, but may be introduced in coming months if we run out of plots. Otherwise, as Obsi said, any constructions elsewhere are for the life of the world (historically 1 or 1.5 years), as are claims.

Sorontar

[1] Claims were required for Sanctuary because we anticipated larger constructions. Frontier and Mindcrack have looser controls but claims can still be made. A list of what claims have been made will be made in the nearish future.

Last edited by Sorontar; 25th February 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: claims are still required -> claims can still be made
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 634

Tired

The question was mainly spawned by bullfrog15234 asking me if he could build a bridge and connect it to ours and I said yes without realising it would intersect part of Dewey's area.

I've spoken to Bullfrog and everything is good. I'll dismantle the bridge and give him back the materials when I can and sweeten the deal with a few diamonds since he did everything right by asking before doing anything.
Old 25th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Glad to hear. There will be the ocassional mistake. The key will always to try and talk it out and resolve it. That will only happen if players actually make people aware that something is amiss.

Sorontar

Old 25th February 2013, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3077

Amused

I have started a bit of a wood plantation just outside my plot, the plot below me is currently empty and the plantation is a bit below the city walkway so the trees arent too high..

..would there be any issues with expanding this at all? At the moment i have 15 fir trees 5 in three lines 5 squares apart. The idea at the end of the day is to have an easy to access supply of wood etc for the community to access.. ..the plus with Fir trees is they are tall so provide lots of wood

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

If you are talking city plots, no player is allowed to claim more than one plot. We simply don't have the space for that. Any unclaimed plots must be left untouched for new claimants to do as they please, which could include leaving the surface alone. Therefore, no trees or flowers can be harvested from an unclaimed lot.

If your plantation is beyond the city walls, then that is just like a building site/farm being made 1000 blocks away. The only difference is that you will have the city as a neighbour (which is never a problem provided you don't block access to the city). However unless it is clearly a forestry farm, you might have someone chopping down the trees and clearing the space for their own construction.

A reminder to everyone that you can't work under the roads except to 1) wall under the edge of an elevated road or 2) make pathways to a neighbour's plot if the two of you have come to an agreement. If you are next to the outer wall, you can't tunnel under or bridge over the outer city wall from your plot.

And whenever you make a claim, include a map picture so that people know whereabouts you are talking.

Sorontar

Old 26th February 2013, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3077

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
If you are talking city plots, no player is allowed to claim more than one plot. We simply don't have the space for that. Any unclaimed plots must be left untouched for new claimants to do as they please, which could include leaving the surface alone. Therefore, no trees or flowers can be harvested from an unclaimed lot.

A reminder to everyone that you can't work under the roads except to 1) wall under the edge of an elevated road or 2) make pathways to a neighbour's plot if the two of you have come to an agreement. If you are next to the outer wall, you can't tunnel under or bridge over the outer city wall from your plot.
Thanks for the reply Sor, the plot is next to the city - i was just enquiring if it would be an obstruction to my potential neighbour to be.

I intend on allowing players to farm the trees, i will have signs up for direction etc e.g. replant plant after you fell a tree - leave some resources as gratis etc etc.. ..its still in the works, but will put a more detailed post up when its a bit more ready!!

In regards to the roads - does this including deep mining (particularly when your plot is on the edge of town and does not lead to another players plot) and what happens when you encounter caves which span under the roads?? I have always wondered about this??

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure so I thought I better answer all possibilities

If there is a natural cave under the road, there is no rule stopping you making a tunnel to it in your plot and a tunnel from it outside the city. But the rules prevent you from making railways etc from your plot through the cave and out. Basically, any player that did that would have an advantage over other players, especially those with plots in other locations.

Sorontar