TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st March 2013, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Default Minecraft realms from Mojang?

Part of the latest snaphost includes reference to "Minecraft Realms". Mojang have released a little information about it:
Mojang | Minecraft Realms
Quote:
Some players now have access to Minecraft Realms, or have seen mention of it online. Minecraft Realms is a service that is currently in a limited, private alpha test. It is a service designed to let players play together with minimal setup.

It is not currently possible to request to join this test.
I am trying to find out more information.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 1st March 2013, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Feels like a multiplayer lobby essentially. An easy way to see what servers are available on the internet.

But as the guy in the video is saying, it's possible this is the way mojang wants to rent out servers. They sure would have a leg up compared to the competition by having direct support for it in the game. I think it would be a very smart way of adding a "subscription" fee to their game without pissing people off (well apart from existing server providers )

It would also be interesting if you could have like a HUGE minecraft server making it more like an MMO sort of thing. But I think that's unlikely.

Edit: Come to think of it, another smart thing they could do to make money, without even having to provide servers would be to require a small fee for listing your server in the game, say 1 dollar/month for example, easily baked into current server deals.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 1st March 2013 at 04:08 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1162

Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Edit: Come to think of it, another smart thing they could do to make money, without even having to provide servers would be to require a small fee for listing your server in the game, say 1 dollar/month for example, easily baked into current server deals.
That would be a very smart way of making lots of money.
D3lthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3994

Cheeky

And something very easy for them to do, without needing to go to the effort of hosting servers themselves.

The list would be huge though...
Old 1st March 2013, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

But they would also have to account for approved mods (i.e. ones using the MC API) to be attached and they would have to account for a variety of Admin tools and backbone add-ons. Minecraft as is cannot support a large server.

They would also have to employ more staff. They presently find they never have enough web staff to do all the development they plan for Mojang anyway.

Sorontar

Old 2nd March 2013, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Some details from reddit:

Quote:
[]99shadow25 2 points 1 day ago
Hmm, would Minecraft Realm just be hosting (as in the server's connection) or the actual client? So for example, if I wanted to make it FTB or tekkit, do i change my jar on it or would I not be able to?

[]Minecraft Dev Dinnerbone 13 points 1 day ago
You would not be able to. This is a service where we'll host a managed server for you, aimed at the majority of "simple" usecases - a family playing together, some schoolfriends playing a world, etc. For more advanced installations, you can turn to any other server host or host it yourself.

Old 3rd March 2013, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1162

Devilish

So simple quick access gameplay in a multiplayer setting rather than having to LAN or setup a server.
D3lthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Mojang | Minecraft Realms
Quote:
World settings include providing a name and a description for the realm, stopping the server, re-starting the server, resetting the world, inviting and uninviting players, and viewing your current subscription status

Old 13th March 2013, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

One of the Mojang staff, Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk, has been tweeting "lots" about the Realms tonight. There will be Realms for the Mobile edition and Realms for the PC edition:
Quote:
H2giulio ‏@H2giulio : @danfrisk What happens if the Minecraft Realm I was playing in crashed?I can't get the owner to restart it.

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk: @H2giulio then you're out of luck for now... I'll make it automatic later. What realm is it?

Minecraft-PE ‏@MinecraftPE__ :
@ThatTouchScreen: @jeb_ @jbernhardsson @Kappische @danfrisk how much will hosting a #MCPE realms server cost?”

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk :
@MinecraftPE__ @ThatTouchScreen cost isn't decided yet, I want learn what our costs are first.

Albi Zhaku ‏@AlbiZhaku6 :
@danfrisk Are you adding bukkit

@AlbiZhaku6 no, initially only vanilla

PotionsMinecraft ‏@PotionsM :
@danfrisk Will servers be hosted on my internet if i buy a server? or somthing else?

@PotionsM by us somewhere in a data center in your proximity.

ty-hunter thomas ‏@tyhunterthomas : @danfrisk I have an awesome server and I want to make it public but have a few questions.will the fee be monthly?

@tyhunterthomas there will be different options. But yes, probably like monthly/6 months or so.

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : Quick info: Minecraft Realms isn't built for huge public servers. The sweetspot is a group of invited friends or as a family server.

Rav Strom ‏@Rav_Bunneh : @danfrisk So about 1 - 6 players on Minecraft Realms?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @Rav_Bunneh I usually think "optimize for <10"...

@metavoxel : @danfrisk can we add server plugins or is this much like a far reaching LAN where it's only vanilla?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @metavoxel initially only vanilla

@ChrisMCMine :
@danfrisk @C0deH4cker That means IP patching will sill work! BUyyaaaaa! ^_^

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @ChrisMCMine @C0deH4cker IP patching is not convenient... But hey if it works for you!

MegaUltrafire ‏@MegaUltrafire : @danfrisk How do you in invite people using thier ingamename or ip?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @MegaUltrafire by in-game name.

♕ Tom M ‏@tomutwit :
@danfrisk is it possible to use a pre existing single player world for it?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @tomutwit not yet, but I want to add that pretty soon.

Lachlan Maclean ‏@LachlanMaclean_ : @danfrisk Will it stay at the 4 player cap?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @LachlanMaclean_ no, it will be a higher cap

soiioz ‏@Tylr_W : @danfrisk So Realms'll be the online multiplayer solution for mcpe, allow upto 10 players in 1 game? will we need to pay extra for realms?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @Tylr_W yes, and yes, the Realm owner pays something for some period of time. Right now I'm looking at month based pricing.

soiioz ‏@Tylr_W : @danfrisk Thx! So subscription is needed. One more Q: Will Realm owners have to keep mcpe running for the invited players to play in Realms?

Daniel Frisk ‏@danfrisk : @Tylr_W no the owner can be offline and invited can still play. There is option for open/close thou

Old 16th March 2013, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 11

Bashful

So this will mean my kids can play on our family server without having to text me and say 'Dad, can you turn on the server?'
minerocksmore is offline   Reply With Quote