Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th March 2013, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky
Default A History and tour of the TOG Minecraft Division

With so many new players, I thought I'd revisit the history of the TOG Minecraft Division. Want to know how it started? What we've been doing over the last 2 years? Want to see some of the cool stuff that has been going on? Well sit back and enjoy the tour! (The links will take you to relevant posts, most have pics of the events)

2010 - Minecraft Alpha

Looking back at our old threads, it was Red-One who first posted about this new game called "Minecraft" in July 2010 - after having seen it mentioned on the Team Fortress 2 blog.

22nd Sept - The first TOG server was set up by Fate. Some TOG members jumped in to see what all the fuss was about.

24th Sept - This is the first map photo from the server. Spawn is the beach area. Foxman's huge castle is the big lit up area to the lower left. You can see Guryon's castle to the below right of spawn.
(You have to click the image, then click to seer the "raw image" to get the full view)

Back then the server had no monsters, no damage from falling/fire/etc., we were able to drop tools to replenish their durability Buckets didn't work for some reason, so to get water we had to spawn it with a "!kit" command. With a fraction of the blocks we have today, it's a wonder we were able to create the magnificent things we did, but I guess we also considered a cobblestone and wood construction to be the height of fashion

25th Sept - My first night playing was one I'll always fondly remember.... I joined the server on the beach, and was shown the ropes by Mixa... I Wandered off to make myself a little dirt house, what seemed like miles from anything (but in Minecraft terms ended up being just over the hill from everyone else). Then all hell broke loose when NAM angered the Gods and started a volcano, whose lava threatened to burn the whole server down It was an eventful night that's for sure!

Map from that first night I was on (My place is where the torch lit road leads to a small beach, just to the right of Foxman's castle. Not sure what the arrow is pointing to )
(You have to click the image, then click to seer the "raw image" to get the full view)

29th Sept - Poor Fate's server couldn't cope with the rigors of Minecraft any longer, so Exe started us up a server on his host. YAY, lag free play!!!

1st Oct 2010 - we got our minecraft forum! A step towards becoming a Division. Previously we'd been posting all over the place. Now we had our very own home. As some players were under 25 and thus not able to join TOG, we had to decide whether to have the forum as public or TOG members only (like most other division forums). We decided to go public forum with a private sub forum, so that all our players could access the main forum.

6th Nov Thermal Ions becomes the DC and on the 9th Nov we're officially recognised as a TOG Division!

In November I did a bit of a tour of the server, showing off some of our buildings and highlights - Welcome to TOGville

23rd Nov - As Minecraft plans to fix up some of the issues with mobs/damage on SMP, we start discussions on if we should add a second server, a "Survival" server, to have mobs and damage.

20th December - Minecraft Beta is released! At this time there was also a few problems with the main mod we were using not being updated and Minecraft being updated so regularly the mod makers had trouble keeping up.

25th Dec - Our First Survival server is unveiled, as a temporary/test server. We now have monsters and damage! For the first time we need to employ the use of cactus and lava to make monster-proof moats around our buildings, and have to fend off spiders climbing the walls. Unfortunately it seems we don't have any pics of this world

2011 - Minecraft Beta

1st Jan - The new Survival World started - . One of the early projects for us was building the TOGosseum

3rd Jan - We added the "Obituaries" mod, which brought up messages when a player died. This is now the norm, but at the time it was hilarious and interesting. "Obsi fell to a clumsy and painful death", "Skoville hugged a cactus" etc.

15th Jan - We had some issues getting all our mods updated (again), so we had a temporary Creative server set up ("Creative" as in SMP without mobs) - and our temporary Survival server was reinstated.

18th Mar - Sorontar becomes our Vice Division Captain

9th April - (The first) Firey disaster hits the Bazztonian Dirigible Co. - . Followed not long after by the 8th May's similar "Hindenbazz disaster"

13th May - Minecraft gets weather! Creative Spawn is blanketed in snow and we get rain for the first time!

22nd June - The Beta 1.6.6 update brings the NETHER! (as well as trapdoors, doors making sounds, long grass) Exciting stuff. Travel is now made easier (and more treacherous) through the use of the nether.

11th July - Thermal Ions steps down as DC and on the 28th July Sorontar becomes the new DC

Sept 2011 - With a new update and a change in the way the terrain/worlds were generated, it was necessary to say goodbye to the old "Creative" and "Survival" worlds, and start new ones. To preserve memories of the fantasic creations we had, I took pictures of everything I could find on both servers. - Creative Server Archive | Survival Server Archive

7th Sept - As we were getting ready to farewell our worlds in preparation for shiny new ones, we decided to have a "blow up" night (or as I liked to call it "splody fun night") - Where everyone got to TNT their stuff and crash the server multiple times

15th Sept - A new world, "Sanctuary" was started. This was the first time players had to contend with hunger. Basically the same setup as the previous "Creative" world, an SMP server without monsters. So not using the "Creative mode" of Minecraft, you still had to gather resources. Shortly after Frontier was started, "Sanctuary" was switched over to the "creative mode" instead of a survival mode.

18th Nov 2011 - Minecraft 1.0 officially released! (We're out of beta and releasing on time)

30th Dec - "Frontier" Survival world started. This is our Survival world, with monsters.

12th march - Raennik proposed to Raeka, in Minecraft!! - Awwww

23rd March - Spleefing tournaments start

6th May - Hunger Games start. First off we had a small enclosed building in which we played - then we ended up creating a whole island and a huge city for Hunger Games play.

9th June - The Wild West comes to Frontier - We decide to dedicate a section of the world to recreating a sort of "Wild West" theme, with the community building wooden buildings around an NPC village and a pvp area where people can raid and fight.

4th August - To celebrate the London Olympics, we have our very own "TOGlympics" - with players competing in different events, created by different players on a temporary TOGlympics server.

December 2012 - Sanctuary is temporarily taken down so we can put up a Feed The Best server to give people something interesting to do over Xmas.

21st Jan - The FTB/MindCrack world is officially taking over the former "Sanctuary" server spot.

..... and that about brings it up to today.... Hope you enjoyed our tour of the history of our division!

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th March 2013, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 469

Excellent post Obsi! It was nice to learn about the days before i first joined on frontier. And very glad the division got a FTB server up and running, missed MC'ing with TOG'ers
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2390

Cynical

Very interesting read. Thanks Obsi.

Dead FTB has unintended side benefits.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Dead FTB has unintended side benefits.
Plenty of time for you go go check out the old Survival/Creative photo archives

I made a video of some highlights from Survival server, I still haven't got around to making one for Creative (it was a bit daunting lol) - I'll consider this my reminder to do it.

Old 12th March 2013, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3077

Amused

I joined after the last date you gave Obsi, from the perspective of one player, alot can be achieved in a small amount of time!!

One for february - 'Whitebear84, joins, dies 100's of times.. ..sets new record for most deaths in a month' My continual demise was all the rage on the chat at one point..

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cheeky

Hahaha, well I think you have Akira and Henri as competition on the "dying heaps of times" front... :P

Old 12th March 2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3077

Amused

The best one was on the FTB sever.. ..going to construct part of a tower over a cliff, thinking i have a jetpack on.....

...then returning to get my stuff, i pick it all up and a rat of all things knocks me into my own tower of lava.. ..lucky for me i hadnt yet picked up the jetpack so it was saved at least

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

My vote was going to go for Henri for most deaths. There was one time that we all figured that he must be testing the death messages, as he turned up ones that no one had even seen before.
Old 12th March 2013, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

yes, I'm sure that was it... just testing the death messages.... for science!

Old 12th March 2013, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Good memories Obsi Had to chuckle at the HindenBazz
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote