Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th March 2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18208

Breezy
Default Idea: Frontier community project - fun!

So I was thinking it might be good to start a community project on Frontier for kicks, giggles and fun. Something that will let the builders participate and the engineers excel.

Many of you will have seen this before

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...da-ad-300k.swf

I propose that the TOG Minecraft division builds a Rube Goldberg machine

Rube Goldberg machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the idea, anyone can sign up or volunteer and then we are each given a 20 x 20 patch of earth - somewhere in the desert - all lined up in a row so that each of our squares touch each other. Over a period of 2 weeks (or whatever) we need to construct something in that patch of dirt that can receive an item from the neighbour on your left, and transport it to your neighbour on the right, whom then does the same thing and so on. If all the neighbours machines line up correctly, we'll be able to move an item from one end to the other without any faults or restarts.

It will require co-ordination so that machine's line up, that's the collaboration bit. It can be a simple water transport system. That's the building bit. It can be a complex machine involving redstone, carts and dispensers - that's the engineering bit.

We can each claim a spot and make our own cog as simple or as complex as we like. As long as the start/end lines up with the neighbours, it doesn't matter how we design our own little cog. I'd expect the full range of simple transport to bizarre and WTF designs.

Would this be a good idea? We would need some rules, such as time frames, border sizes, 'cog' placement (need not be in a straight line). If someone claims a cog and doesn't show then we build around them so the whole machine doesn't break.

Worth discussing further? What should the goal be? To move a zombie in a cart from point A to point B? To move a piece of coal? To simply press a button at one end and play a musical tune at the other? We are limited by our imagination only.

Old 29th March 2013, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Sounds great! Pity we can't update to 1.5 yet because the redstone update would add to the possibilities.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Yeah - the droppers and hoppers would make for some fun machines.
Old 29th March 2013, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2948

Grumpy

You'll have to be careful. If it takes to long, the item will despawn. That would be a bit annoying.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Brilliant idea! I'm not sure I'd know enough about redstone mechanics to be able to participate, but I'd love to watch it in action!

Depending on how many people are involved and how long the line of spots is, we might be better to arrange the lots in a sort of square doughnut shape (space in the centre for viewing).... or a U shape.... instead of a line, because it will take up less space and if it's a too long a line, there could be problems with keeping all chunks loaded at the same time....

Quote:
You'll have to be careful. If it takes to long, the item will despawn. That would be a bit annoying.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be the same thing that gets transported along though. It could be a dropped block that sets off something that sends a minecart through that then sets off a dispenser to drop something, and so on....

But yes, that is something to consider too.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

You need not use redstone. Many of other options. Water, ice, gravity, carts ...

A U shape might be good. Perhaps non-participants can make a viewing platform?
Old 29th March 2013, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cheeky

I'm happy to grab a spot and give it a go - I can always ask for help if I can't get anything working or give up my spot to someone else who can.

So long as people don't expect anything fancy :P

Old 29th March 2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

sounds like fun, if it was worked out right could make it go up and down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Brilliant idea! I'm not sure I'd know enough about redstone mechanics to be able to participate, but I'd love to watch it in action!

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the same thing that gets transported along though. It could be a dropped block that sets off something that sends a minecart through that then sets off a dispenser to drop something, and so on....

what was that 1st bit ? " I'm not sure I'd know enough about redstone mechanics to be able to participate"

yer ya do and as ya said it ya need help ya only need to ask

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast

Last edited by TAZZROK; 29th March 2013 at 03:32 PM.
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

I believe it was you who had to help fix my attempt at making Dewey's secret staircase!

But yes, I know there are plenty of redstone adepts around to ask for help from!

Old 29th March 2013, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 280

could not even use redstone

Minecraft isn't Minecraft after playing Feed The Beast
TAZZROK is offline   Reply With Quote