Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

View Poll Results: Which FTB variants would you prefer (can select multiple)?
Ultimate 16 69.57%
DireWolf20 6 26.09%
YogCraft 1 4.35%
MindCrack 14 60.87%
MagicWorld 2 8.70%
TechWorld 1 4.35%
Lite 1 4.35%
Retro 0 0%
Voxel 0 0%
VoxelBrony 0 0%
RPGImersion 1 4.35%
Ampz 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th March 2013, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2824

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldknight View Post
I wouldn't mind greg tech if it increase in difficulty. EG. the first quarry you build is normal then each one after that gets harder and harder till it gets to the difficult stage. That way it increases in complexity as you play.
Well, Greg has decided that you need a diamond drill to build a quarry now, and that takes titanium. There are a few other fun ones in the current version, but that stands out to me. Although I just use turtles now anyway, so it really doesn't bother me.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st March 2013, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 279

Bored

I've ben using that quarry receipe for ages. Thats why I was complaining when OJ, Nas and my quarries kept disapearing.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

The idea behind Gregtech is to make things like quarry end game, to try and extend the life of the game opposed to allow the mods to take over.

Still like Direwolf.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318

Lurking

I hated gregtech when I first started the FTB server.

My personal server doesn't use it, so I was used to the simple forms of things.

But after using it for a while now, I kind of like it. It adds to the challenge, gives you more to work for, which gives a better sense of accomplishment.

I have always had the issue of quitting games who were too easy. I feel Gregtech helps extend this feeling by giving me more time to work for things.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 02:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

I would say most of gregtech seemed decent to me. I makes most of the machines stepped into different tiers. Before Greg you just got to the end and be done, after it you actually have to use a bit more machines and items to get to that point. So I did feel a better sense of accomplishment as well.

I do like the comment made that we could outlaw mass quarries in the main the world, and use a myst world that is the strip mine world. I would say something like we were originally going to do world in that X number of blocks around the spawn/portal point no quarries are allowed. You can use this area to make bases/warehouses etc though. Then delete/regenerate the area past X every few months as felt needed to refill resources. [note: I still think you should be able to use turtles etc for making/clearing of actual constructions, bases, or tunnels in any world under supervision.]
Old 1st April 2013, 03:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 785

Mellow

That is what I've experienced, Misnik: a sectioned off area with a regen on the rest of the world outside of the borders.
Deweyoxberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9133

I have seen some servers that have placed an outright ban on quarries, mining lasers, computers, turtles etc. Tell us if there are any FTB elements you think should be banned and why.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1194

Devilish

Honestly imo if a server was to ban certain things that the modpack had available, would it not be better to play a different mod pack that doesn't allow for types of advancements.

As for the OP I would choose Ultimate & Fresh start so that we can all work on a new spawn together.
D3lthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lthar View Post
Honestly imo if a server was to ban certain things that the modpack had available, would it not be better to play a different mod pack that doesn't allow for types of advancements.
Under normal cirsumstances I would agree, but this is FTB and it's hardly normal no matter how hard we try. What I mean is, certain elements may have to be removed or restricted for server quality since not everything plays nice together or some items when used incorrectly can cause server wide problems, both with stability or with misuse of that mod. Rubber Boots was another example.

I don't think that we should try to find a pack that is perfect otherwise we'll end up having to make our own.

That said, I did see something in the launcher that mentions Private Pack. I've not yet looked into what that it, but I'd hope it would give us a change to decide what we want on the server then create a private pack, share the code with the division and let the launcher do all the setup for us. It's probably not how the private packs works but it would be nice.

I'm not sure on the distribution rules but we could also setup at the least a self extracting winrar/zip file that if you choose the path of the FTB folder it will put all of the additional mods we need (when chosen) in the correct location to help TOGers get setup?
Old 1st April 2013, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 279

Bored

I agree with D3lthar, if your not going to use a mod pack set of items then don't use that mode pack. Mod packs are designed arround each item to add playability so if you start removing a item or two you are just crippling the game play.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote