Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

View Poll Results: Which FTB variants would you prefer (can select multiple)?
Ultimate 16 69.57%
DireWolf20 6 26.09%
YogCraft 1 4.35%
MindCrack 14 60.87%
MagicWorld 2 8.70%
TechWorld 1 4.35%
Lite 1 4.35%
Retro 0 0%
Voxel 0 0%
VoxelBrony 0 0%
RPGImersion 1 4.35%
Ampz 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st April 2013, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

been playing in sp, I must say I prefer Direwolf and rpg over mindcrack atm, ultimate is also good.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st April 2013, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 608

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldknight View Post
I agree with D3lthar, if your not going to use a mod pack set of items then don't use that mode pack. Mod packs are designed arround each item to add playability so if you start removing a item or two you are just crippling the game play.
Are we talking about the entire pack, like Mindcrack or Ultimate, or individual items within the Mods that make up those packs?

Say rubber boots were still bugged, are you suggesting we don't use Mindcrack or FTB, or just the mod that gives us Rubber boots within Mindcrack or FTB?
Old 1st April 2013, 12:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

If we are looking at a pack, it would be ideal to accept it in its entirety instead of excluding certain aspects. If we need to start trimming and excluding then could cause faults and days upon days of meaningless debate. If there are parts of a pack we don't want, then don't even use the pack.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1194

Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
If we are looking at a pack, it would be ideal to accept it in its entirety instead of excluding certain aspects.
This is what I was talking about.
D3lthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 01:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2343

Cynical

Voted now I've examined all the options. I still prefer gregtech on hard mode and my votes somewhat represent that.

I'm interested in tiered gameplay, with industrialisation and some extra aesthetics. My personal preference at this time would be Ultimate as it has both mystcraft and gregtech (hopefully on hard, I've not played ultimate in SP to know yet.)

The reason I like gregtech on hardmode is because of the difficulty level. In a community game like this, I feel the technology tree would be conquered too easily. I liked that even after months of playing a lot, I still only had 1 piece of quantum armour due to all the other distractions and projects. (And when I built those boots, I most certainly felt I had accomplished something special.)

Without gregtech, I would have had the top tiered equipment and machines by now and less satisfaction getting there.

Would like a fresh start (due in part to my first preference being Ultimate) without a pre-defined city area in the middle. I like the idea of having group projects in a centralised area that turns into a city, but having all the plots in a set-sized area surrounded on all sides by roads feels less creative than it could be.

- OJ
OranjeJus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 01:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318

Lurking

I have to agree, the only reason a mod should be removed is if it will cause unwanted issues on the server.
Saying that, there is no reason we could not add a mod or two...for instance, Divine RPG...

I do like the idea of designing a world specifically for quarries. This would put less pressure on needing to worry about where we place them in the overworld. I'm not saying to ban them from the overworld, I'm just stating to create a world for mining.
Also, removing Quarries would be rediculous. IC2 is too ore heavy to not run quarries.

With Mystcraft, and a strong, stable server, the type of worlds we want could be endless. We could create worlds for adventuring/RPG, where no tech is allowed...or maybe purely PVP worlds, where we build Frontier's Wild West but on a grand scheme....Worlds for Mining or magic(thaumcraft), where we no longer need to worry with the flux of the overworld. And that is just a few idea's...think of what else we could come up with.

With the right hardware, all those burdens in the Mindcrack server would be gone.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Looking through the list of mods in the different packs, I'm definitely leaning towards ultimate, but could like Mindcrack or Direwolf. I do like the Gregtech difficulty, so I would prefer to keep that one.

I also like Mystcraft and made full use of the books and Portals, so I would prefer to keep that as well, which is why I lean towards the Ultimate. Ultimate also has something called flat bedrock which could help with the quarry lag.

I'd almost prefer to see if we can create a ToG specific pack with those that we all prefer as ultimate looks like it has too many mods all told (no idea if this is really even possible).

Speaking for myself only, I would prefer a new world as my recent move didn't allow me much time, and I didn't get very far on this one, but that is a fairly selfish reason.
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 608

Tired

It seems like a lot of work to get your own private pack (and there is no automation so you have to rely on the FTB Mods (moderators) to get it done) so If TOG did go down that path, I dare say that we'd have to be 100% sure of what mods we want AND all the settings/difficulties for them so it might be a down the track option when we've tested and come to as much of a consensus as possible.
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9113

At this stage, we would prefer to not make our own FTB modpack. We don't have the time to do it and under TOG rules we would have to be doubly sure of the copyright permissions. However, like we have done for MindCrack, we might add a little, trim a little, to existing modpacks, but not by much. The simplest way will still be to take a modpack as it comes if we were to run a FTB server.

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 766

Mellow

RE: modpack by TOG, I believe the idea was to assemble the latest updates into a zip file that is already given by FTB/mod authors and tested to be working.

Instead of: Steps 1 through 500, do this...

It's:

Step 1: Put this in your minecraft folder.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote