Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th May 2013, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Default Serenity Questions

I managed to log in last night for the first time, and I'm afraid that the first thing that struck me is the severe lag. I don't know if it was connection lag, since I am in the US, or server lag, but I suspect the latter since it seemed to take an hour for each day/night cycle. It took about 3-4 tries to mine each block. Is this usual for the server, or was last night particularly bad?

Also, I can't seem to load the maps that were linked in an earlier post. Am I doing something wrong or did last week's render not work?

I wandered around for a bit trying to find a nice location to set up a base, and I did find a nice candidate. It is a volcanic/forest/snow and ice mountain island to the S of spawn. I didn't see any signs of occupation except for a few pillars of smoothstone (as well as a couple of horizontal bars of smoothstone on the side of the hill. No lights that I could find. Does anyone know if someone else has their eye on this island, or can I claim a portion of it. If so, I will light it up a bit, once I get more torches together.

Old 30th May 2013, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2868

Grumpy

We're constantly working on lag busting on this server. The past couple of days have been a bit worse than usual, and it depends when you log on. We will continue to work on it.
In general, if you can't see any sign of habitation, and you can't see any neighbours, you should be good to go.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Also, I can't seem to load the maps that were linked in an earlier post. Am I doing something wrong or did last week's render not work?
With the map you need to make sure to save it to your computer. It doesnt seem to work if you just try and open it. The map is also a real memory sucker. Im new to the whole map thing so not sure if i can do anything about that but will be looking into it.
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, Thanks. I'll keep at this and see if some days are better than others on the lag. I'll probably set explore a bit more before choosing a permanent location, but I might put a few temporary markers down on the island, just in case.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, Aveege, that helped me get the map working.

The claim that I was thinking about is shown in the attached picture.

I was thinking about building inside the red circle, but from the map I noticed several smooth stone pillars (see the yellow arrows) that sort of indicate that someone may have claimed this area. There is no lighting that I can see, but unless someone posts that it was theirs and they don't want it anymore, I think that I will continue looking around for another place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serenity-Night.jpg (129.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 30th May 2013, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Cartographer
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 464

As far as i know there is no one that lives in that area. I am the island just to NW of that, that can be seen on that pic. I know duck had a place somewhere SE of me, but not sure how close or where at exactly. But yeah always good to search around and even keep waypoints of possible locations. Dont need to rush it
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5568 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

My place is/was the spec of light in the ocean. So all good here. Having fun on marvels sever atm so np from me.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 625

Tired

I love when people point out where they are... it makes things... easier...

OINK!
Old 30th May 2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2237

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Doe View Post

OINK!
lol at the OINK ... u are the piggy master
Old 1st June 2013, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 625

Tired

This is going to sound like a eally stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere, but what version of Ultimate are we using?

I've just finally got a new PC and I'm trying to set it up again for the first time. I know on my old one (which died) it was asking me if I wanted to update and I'd been selecting No, but I don't know what version of ultimate it was actually using.

At the moment I'm trying each, adding additional pipes then trying to connect. I'll get there eventually :P