Old 5th July 2013, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 29

Mellow
Question Minecraft 2? Idea

The new Minecraft game idea, Like Minecraft, a bit, with each block representing one millimetre rather than one metre, differing grades of materials creating differing grades of creations and a tech tree reflecting this, characters made up of blood, bone and skin blocks, bushido blade style character control and health system, but with an added loss of blood blocks leading to slowed movement, blurred vision, motor control loss and eventually death. With recruitable npc's and masses of orders you can give npc's. Loads of animals, wild and tameable, ship building and cannons, eventually. Criticisms plz.

Last edited by Lastmimsy; 5th July 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Lastmimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th July 2013, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1381

Mellow

First criticism is that it would not be able to be run on any computer available today.

currently 1 block = 1m = 2 triangles per face.
at 1mm blocks = 2,000,000 triangles per meter give a view range of 100m...that's going to be way too many points to render.

As to game mechanics, personally after much time spent playing and dissecting games, my opinion is now that the more detail you put into games in terms of mechanics, the less fun the game becomes. Often a game is as much about what limitations you place on the player and how the game is played within those limits.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

On a larger scale that is why weather is so difficult to predict on a global scale or even local scale, because it consists of tiny particles moving about, and knowing where every particle in that system is and where it will move to takes enormous computing resources that even our best supercomputers struggle with.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8328 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Another interesting thing to look at would be memory consumption:

Assuming we have a modest 256 different block types (this is much less than current minecraft) and that the blocks can do absolutely nothing other than being just blocks (no extra data appended) the memory needed to store 10 cubic meters of world would be (1000 * 10) ^ 3 byte = 1 TB

Now considering most people don't have 1 TB memory and that you're likely to see more than 10 meters in front of you I'd say it'll be a bit hard to get this game off the ground. And we haven't even talked about the bandwidth needs to load the data from a server
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mellow

I should've tried to stay in a coma longer then. Not like I had a choice. Still no games that can match bushido blade in the sword fight genre and no V.R. headsets???
Old 28th July 2013, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mellow
Lightbulb

I may have brain damage but I can think of ways around some of the things that stand in the way of what I want. Aren't the 1 metre blocks made up of smaller "textures"? well your 1mm block, when viewed from a distance could make part of a 1 metre blocks "texture". Does this make it any more makeable with today's super computer? Secondly, I'm not looking to improve the "mechanics" of anything, this all started years ago, not dissecting but thoroughly enjoying every possible moment of it, all so often getting fully immersed only to find some flimsy looking piece of cloth hanging in a doorway that I can't enter, or something similar to un-immerse me. There are just so many things in computer games that wouldn't be tolerated in any other form of entertainment and if you become the person that changes that you will become very rich I'm sure.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8328 TOG Silver Level Supporter

There are other minecraft clones out there that use other mechanics than cubes, such as different meshes where you can manipulate each node and so on. You even have games such as Red Faction where you can blow holes through certain walls with explosive weapons. Although you can't build stuff in that game. There are also physics mods to minecraft that makes it a bit more lifelike with rules to how large arches and such you can build before they collapse.

But in the end, if you want a "lifelike" environment that you can manipulate freely you WILL eventually bang your head against the wall set by computer hardware.

There is also the fact that more is not always better, the saying less is more is often pretty accurate. One reason minecraft is so popular is because it's so easy to build things and make them look pretty good. Having a resolution of a millimeter just makes building a lot more complicated. More choices, more things that can look strange, harder to align things, requires incredible amount of time to make something look just right.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 11

Bashful
Thumbs up

One of the things that makes Minecraft so popular is the less-is-more principle. It's fun to try to solve problems with how things look, discover tricks and ways of making things look good. Thankfully you don't need a degree in CAD to play it - that's why we all love it!
minerocksmore is offline   Reply With Quote