TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th August 2013, 02:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8255 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Perhaps run the server with a small number of mods (a theme) for a couple of months and then switch theme every second month or so?

That way everyone gets to try a lot of stuff from many mods without new players having to feel they have to catch up, and the old players gets to explore mods they earlier perhaps avoided exploring due to other mods taking up all their time.

Like you could have
Theme 1 Buildcraft + thermal expansion
Theme 2 Mo Creatures
Theme 3 Industrialcraft
Theme 4 Mystcraft
Theme 5 Railcraft
Theme 6 Twilight forest
and so on...
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 17th August 2013 at 02:33 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th August 2013, 04:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Hmmm......

Given my low amount of available play time, I've only just now gotten the shop set up enough with an MFSU and some power generation (and a lot of redstone 2 wiring to control it all from switches). I've also collected about 250 buckets of oil that I was planning on refining to set up a combustion engine. And I finally started work on an industrial blast furnace. To lose it all will be a bit disappointing. I was trying, this world, to make everything myself rather than use someone else's shop like I did on the last FTB server, but I probably won't do that again if the servers will be changing a lot. I'll just be that neighbor who borrows your tools over and over again (right, MD?).

Not all of it was a waste, though. I learned a lot about redpower 2 stuff as well a little bit of the xxycraft tanks and power converters, so every bit I learn will speed things up on future builds that include those mods.

I could live with a constantly changing world, but my focus will have to shift from building to just getting enough resources to explore a lot, while building stuff on other folks tools/tables/etc.

I personally prefer a more stable, long term world as it suits my casual play, but I can certainly see how popular the IAF world is due to folks wanting to try new things when they play out the old. Given my schedule, a two month cycle would give me 30-40 hours of play time on any given world, so I would just have to be careful how I spend that time.
Old 17th August 2013, 06:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Elite - Post: 2662

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Perhaps run the server with a small number of mods (a theme) for a couple of months and then switch theme every second month or so?

That way everyone gets to try a lot of stuff from many mods without new players having to feel they have to catch up, and the old players gets to explore mods they earlier perhaps avoided exploring due to other mods taking up all their time.

Like you could have
Theme 1 Buildcraft + thermal expansion
Theme 2 Mo Creatures
Theme 3 Industrialcraft
Theme 4 Mystcraft
Theme 5 Railcraft
Theme 6 Twilight forest
and so on...
I'd have no objection to changing mod packs every few months, but I will not commit myself to maintaining arbitrary sets of mods in untested combinations. So, switching between different FTB packs is fine by me, but your method is, in my mind, unmanageable given the amount of time I have available.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 06:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I personally prefer a more stable, long term world as it suits my casual play, but I can certainly see how popular the IAF world is due to folks wanting to try new things when they play out the old. Given my schedule, a two month cycle would give me 30-40 hours of play time on any given world, so I would just have to be careful how I spend that time.
This is good feedback to have. Not every one has the same amount of free time to devote, and it's good that it's pointed out.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Average - Post: 195

Bored

Myself I would prefer a long term stable server as well. If IAF does the non technical and more magical while Serenity does the technical side of things I would be very happy.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 11:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

IAF is not a division server. It's my personal project and is subject to change at my whim.
Old 17th August 2013, 02:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 2144

Sleepy

does changing the mod now and then automaticly include a map reset?
Cause that would suck lol
Im not against the mod changing but having to rebuild the homestead and re-gather basic resources every month would drive me nuts
Old 17th August 2013, 02:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Grumpy

It likely would require a map reset.
It seems like it would be impractical to reset that often.
We're just kicking around ideas at this point.
Old 17th August 2013, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 85

Dead

I'd like to avoid anything that's too hardcore (like Gregtech), in terms of having things in place purely because someone thinks it used to be too easy.

For example, a lot of that BTW pack looks like someone saying MC isn't hard enough, let's make it hard by making it more frustrating. Removing features around the bed, buckets, etc .. I don't know if I totally dig that! I don't have all day to work out how to get water to my farms.

However I'm all for other kinds of difficulty, like hunger, or UHC mode, don't mind that at all. I am also liking IAF so far, it doesn't seem all that difficult once you get the hang of it all.

On another note too, what's happening to frontier? It's a ghost town right now... 1.6.2 and horses anyone?

Last edited by Towel; 17th August 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Towel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 08:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5039

Looking forward to getting back onto Frontier as i have a few projects to complete.

As for Serentity, are we looking at :

Magic or no Magic ...
Advanced machines, a few machines or no machines...
Standard creatures or some extras...
More player PvP for example...

If we can nail down a play style it goes a long way to choosing a pack / mods.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote