Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

View Poll Results: What mod pack do we want on Serenity next
FTB Unleashed 5 22.73%
Direwolf 20 16 72.73%
FTB Unhinged 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th August 2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2942

Grumpy
Default The next mod pack for Serenity

Everyone likes options, right?
I'm listing what seem to be the most viable options for where we're going with Serenity next. I'll leave the poll open through the end of next weekend.
Irimar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 24th August 2013, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 948

Mellow

nvm. listening to recording.

Last edited by Deweyoxberg; 24th August 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 317

Breezy

I've been trying to figure out the differences between the three and found this chart for Unhinged/Unleashed: Ultimate vs Unleashed/Unhinged - Pastebin.com
I also found this one that compares Direwolf as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pUnBRTXc#gid=0
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.

Minecraft - daoseden

Retired TOG characters
WOW -Proudmoore Priest - Morg (retired)
GW, TOG4 Pacific Eden Serina, Monk (retired)
Neverwinter - Morg, Control Wizard (semi-retired)
fireh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 317

Breezy

I've been trying to figure out the differences between the three and found this chart for Unhinged/Unleashed: Ultimate vs Unleashed/Unhinged - Pastebin.com
I also found this one that compares Direwolf as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pUnBRTXc#gid=0
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.

Minecraft - daoseden

Retired TOG characters
WOW -Proudmoore Priest - Morg (retired)
GW, TOG4 Pacific Eden Serina, Monk (retired)
Neverwinter - Morg, Control Wizard (semi-retired)
fireh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 2170

Fine

nice find fireh, Looks like unleashed has everything direwolf has and more.. so the question i guess is do we want the "more" lol
Old 27th August 2013, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

I did find at least one possible error in that comparison. Both the official mod list and the FTB wiki do not list PowerConverters for the Direwolf pack. Given that Petroleum Generators are also out, it looks like it will take a more complex path from Fuel/Oil to EU. Solar panels will be cheaper though, so maybe that will be the way to go, even early on.

I also just noticed that the GraviSuite mod is out of Direwolf, so no advanced lappacks or advanced electric jetpacks, etc.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Grumpy

The included mods for each pack are listed in the description in the FTB launcher.
That list at that link isn't entirely accurate, you're better off checking the launcher yourself.

There are a few other things to consider:
1) More mods is not always better
2) While Direwolf20 and Unleashed both have MFFS, they are different implementations that forked from the same original project. They are not identical.
3) Direwolf20 has Compact Solars. Unleashed has Advanced Solars. Some people prefer one over the other.

Last edited by Irimar; 27th August 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 27th August 2013, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 569

Amused

Hmm, none of the above! I don't think that gives us anything over where we are other than the removal of GT and thus making things a little simpler. I wonder if we should wait for more packs to be added to ftb for 1.5.2/1.6.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Grumpy

Cheith, Ultimate is dead. There will never be another update for it. These are the modpacks currently actively supported by the FTB folks. It's time for a world reset, so it's time to move to an actively supported modpack.
Old 27th August 2013, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2891

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
Cheith, Ultimate is dead. There will never be another update for it. These are the modpacks currently actively supported by the FTB folks. It's time for a world reset, so it's time to move to an actively supported modpack.
This is why direwof20 is the better choice, it is the only modpack to have been consistently updated since FTB first came on the scene, and it's the best choice to avoid further chopping and changing in the future. And one of the most balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I did find at least one possible error in that comparison. Both the official mod list and the FTB wiki do not list PowerConverters for the Direwolf pack. Given that Petroleum Generators are also out, it looks like it will take a more complex path from Fuel/Oil to EU. Solar panels will be cheaper though, so maybe that will be the way to go, even early on.

I also just noticed that the GraviSuite mod is out of Direwolf, so no advanced lappacks or advanced electric jetpacks, etc.
There are no power converters (as in power bridges, consumers and producers) in DW20

The modular power suits can charge all electric tools so bat packs are not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
Hmm, none of the above! I don't think that gives us anything over where we are other than the removal of GT and thus making things a little simpler. I wonder if we should wait for more packs to be added to ftb for 1.5.2/1.6.
On the contrary it actually makes things harder to an extent.
Gregtech brutally punishes you early game but can be easily overcome by a handfull of players combining resources, once you are over the resource hurdles it is exponentially easy, being able to punch out UU to make Ultimate solars (anything really) is easy mode.
In contrast without gregtech, for every ultimate you want, you are going to need the resources to make 512 standard solar panels, there are no shortcuts.