Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th September 2013, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Default Machine setup best practices

I remember from the TS meeting on the future of Serenity, someone stated that they would create a best practices list based on how to minimize lag and build smartly when building shops and quarries and such.

Well, I'm about to start laying out my new shop, and I was wondering if the discussion could be started.

Since I don't have a lot of experience (I'm pretty sure that my last shop with 100s of meters of redstone wire to control it was not lag efficient), I'll start with a bunch of questions.

My first question is around Buildcraft/Thermal Expansion machines and ideal power routing. I'll probably start out with just a few machines being directly driven by steam engines, but eventually I'd like a central engine powering a grid. Is this bad to do, and if not, what is the best way to route that power. I had problems when I tried this with BC conductive pipes as the power would frequently get "stuck" when I ran two or more engines and eventually the pipe would explode. Is there a better way to do this? How can I make the engine or pipe not blow up if it is running and the machines have stopped.

Second, for my last shop I used a lot of redstone wire to control the operations, adding in a master power switch that shut down all grid taps, controllable machines, and the main power generators/engines. This seemed to me to be a bit laggy, and I am hoping that the rednet conduit and controller make things easier and less laggy. Does anyone have advice on this approach? Since I plan on using a lot more solar on this go-around, should I break the connection between the panels and the main storage when the master power is off, or is it safe to leave them charging it. Is there a recommended side of the transformers that I should add the EU-splitters?

Finally, I plan on using a lot of the Forge multi-part microblocks. Should I be concerned with their use as far as lag is concerned?

Any other ideas for a low-lag build? I did see a suggestion to use the extra-utilities low-lag lava pump in the nether when gathering lava to run machines (I like lava as a back up power source). What other machines/blocks should be avoided or preferred? What is a good indicator lamp to use since redpower lamps are out?

-Brew

Old 26th September 2013, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8353 TOG Silver Level Supporter

1. I would recommend using Redstone Energy Conduits instead. They are a bit harder to build, but can not overload and will not accept power if none is needed.

2. I think rednet conduit is nicer on the lag. Personally I use ComputerCraft and wireless modems to turn on and off different parts with no need for lines. But that requires some programming.
As for the solar panels I don't know. I don't think they will do anything if the battery they charge is full.
For transformers I'd imagine it would be best to cut them off on the side that receives power to make sure as much as possible of the network is cut away.

3. I don't know anything about microblocks.

For lag reduction... no loops in IC2 power lines, reduce amount of pipes as much as possible (ME storage system I think is pretty humane to the server). Use liquiducts for liquid transfer. Minimize amount of redstone used. Avoid having machines turn on and off frequently (like every second). Reduce amount of animals you own. Avoid growing too many trees (growing trees and especially decaying leafs seems to lag a lot from my experience). I'm sure there are more things to think of as well
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 574

Amused

Some additional things to note:
1) Liquiducts (at least for complex setups) appear to be bugged and occasionally lose their contents. (Lost a couple hundred buckets of ethanol that way).
2) Forestry machines always draw at least some power, even if connected using redstone conduits
3) Buildcraft lasers also always draw some power
4) Conductive pipes have been redone to pull, rather than push, power in the same way as conduits. They are good for triggered power, but don't work as well as conduits is not actively triggering the power.
5) Use pipe wire (if using pipes) rather than redstone or use the new rednet.
6) Build hierarchical power networks to avoid loops
Old 26th September 2013, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
Some additional things to note:
1) Liquiducts (at least for complex setups) appear to be bugged and occasionally lose their contents. (Lost a couple hundred buckets of ethanol that way).
2) Forestry machines always draw at least some power, even if connected using redstone conduits
3) Buildcraft lasers also always draw some power
4) Conductive pipes have been redone to pull, rather than push, power in the same way as conduits. They are good for triggered power, but don't work as well as conduits is not actively triggering the power.
5) Use pipe wire (if using pipes) rather than redstone or use the new rednet.
6) Build hierarchical power networks to avoid loops
I think quarries is another of those machines that constantly draw power even if they aren't used currently.

Speaking of power networks, if one were to place several IC2 energy storage units (MFSUs or such) parallel with each other (the charging energy line divides into each of the storage units, and all the storage units outputs go in to a single line) do you think this would create packet routing problems or can IC2 handle that?
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 26th September 2013, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 309

Bored

Using a bat box/mfe/mfsu in a chain is fine as long as the direction of travel is set correctly. The main issue with IC2 power is loops in the power cables. I had 15 MFSU's in a 's' shape for storage.

Conductive pipe on the new server don't seem to explode though the machines sending power into the pipe will if the power doesn't have an outlet.

Large ME networks will cause an issue on the server TPS as the ME control is the unit controling all the import and output cables so will be high on the list of machines working. Its better to have multiple smaller networks than 1 large one.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

What I did with my ME network was that due to it using so much power when I wasn't even using it, I simply turn it off if not in use. So whenever I access it I stand on a switch which turns it on, then when I leave it turns off again

(It also has a timer that turns it on for 10 seconds every 3 minutes to take care of stuff that happens in the background, such as mining input)

Aside for being beneficial for my power consumption I imagine it also helps the server.
GW2 characters:

Old 27th September 2013, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3508

Relaxed

Im curious as to what people can be possibly building that requires 15 MFSUs daisy chained. I have never needed more than one, surely you are better off having one MFSU and balancing the power input so that you are never draining it?

I am still a noob at MC tho, so I'm sure there is something I'm missing.
Rourke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 05:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

On the last Serenity, I had a fairly basic shop, and I got to the point of needing two MFSUs. It had less to do with power storage and more to do with output power. With just a few Macerators and furnaces with optimized maximum overclocker upgrades (for me it was 11 for each macerator and 5 for each furnace) as well as an industrial blast furnace, a few centrifuge extractors, electrolizers, etc, one MFSU at 512 EU/t wasn't able to power it all if I was trying to crank out a lot of resources (such as when I was making a lot more overclockers. ) By adding in another MFSU, I was getting 1024 EU/t out on my 512 EU/t bus (the cables only care about the energy packet size (V), not how many the cable is carrying (A)). If you have even more machines, especially overclocked ones, than more parallel MFSUs are better.