The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/)
-   -   Minecraft Forum Discussion (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/321947-minecraft-forum-discussion.html)

Sp!at 30th September 2010 01:06 PM

Minecraft Forum Discussion

Hey guys,

There is currently a discussion here in The Desk about getting a specific MineCraft forum for us. 303 has asked whether we want a public forum or a private forum.

I'm guessing that means a public forum would be placed in here like the Pen and Paper Games sub-forum while a private forum would be placed down in The Strategy Centre. like Dawn of War etc.

If placed in here everyone (the public) will have access. If placed privately then only Toggers will be able to view it.

Please let 303 know your preference in the thread in The Desk.

FuzzNuts 30th September 2010 01:40 PM

I realise its up to you tog guy's but its probably worth considering that myself and crimetank (possibly retox?) are not currently tog members. If the forum is made private we would need to be kept up to date on teh happenings of teh server via other means.

just my 2 cents :)

Vonder 30th September 2010 01:41 PM

Well we really do need a board for minecraft regardless. Any information you guys are missing out on we can pass over mumble, or (assuming it's not sensitive) post it here.

It's going to be awesome if we can get a division :)

Sp!at 30th September 2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzNuts (Post 2915566)
I realise its up to you tog guy's but its probably worth considering that myself and crimetank (possibly retox?) are not currently tog members. If the forum is made private we would need to be kept up to date on teh happenings of teh server via other means.

just my 2 cents :)

Is it the age restriction that has kept you from joining? If you're over 25 then there shouldn't really be anything stopping you. Tog allows members from other clans to join so you don't need leave an existing clan for another game if you old wish to participate in Minecraft as an example. :)

Spice. 30th September 2010 01:55 PM

Both Fuzz and Retox can join TOG in one and two months respectively. Only people that miss out are Crime and Firelad, who can easily get info from us. Hell, Worm and Crime live in the same house!
I'm voting for private if only to keep random griefers out.

Rakshala 30th September 2010 02:32 PM

Minecraft is a creative game on a relatively private server, I see no reason the forum should be private.

I would see the need for a private board in a game where we were playing against other people where discussion of raids or tactics would need to be secure. I don't think we need this here.

Crimetank 30th September 2010 02:43 PM

I'm biased towards public, but only because i like to be able to keep up with the happenings myself at work.

I think with a white list and no public display of the actual server address (make a note for new players to pm a togger for the address), there is no need for it to be private.

*also i want to keep our locations map up to date, which means access to the map dump

Dr. Worm 30th September 2010 02:48 PM

i don't suppose we could make it private and grant access to a specific user?

MadMax 30th September 2010 02:53 PM

What about a public forum with a private sub-forum/s?

That would be ideal I think.

Sorontar 30th September 2010 03:02 PM

Obviously there is a certain degree of interest from people who aren't toggers. However, we had to restrict access to the server because of that interest. Not all non-toggers are "safe".

The question is how we can best manage the forum so that discussions about the server et al can remain private but announcements like the map updates etc can be read as public.

If we have to choose between the two, then the "safest" one (ie. one that is most helpful) is probably private.