Old 4th October 2010, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Can I throw in something from left field. There is a plugin for hey0's mod, "poemCredits", which monetises the value of specified items as "credits". It also introduces an ATM system to the game where you can deposit specified items and buy other items. This would enable a number of items to be utilised without the hassle of matching trades or necessarily forcing someone to mine a lot to get the likes of gold. Personally I think I've only got the likes of 3 gold bars from all the mining I've done. So I wonder if gold's a bit too rare to be effective.

Thread here: poemPack mods (Page 1) - Plugins - Hey0's Minecraft Mods

I've downloaded it, but still to test it out locally here.

Quote:
poemCredits
This adds an in game economy to Minecraft. Depositable items are defined in the shop.txt file. Simply place them in an ATM and right click the block. Purchasable items are listed in the /buy command and is completely customizable by the shop.txt file.

/setatm - Sets a block location where blocks need to be positioned to deposit correctly. See atm.png for example of an atm. As admin, I stool in the gap (on top of the middle brick) of the atm and did /setatm. This sets the location of the ATM to where my feet are. I then finished the ATM by placing the wood blocks on the top and added a sign.

/buy <item> - Doing /buy will list items from the shop.txt. Doing /buy <item> will spawn the item and deduct from your account.

/pay [player] [amount] - This will transfer credits from one player to another.
Code:
### shop.txt for poemCredits
#
# Values below are for currency
# Format is: Coin:ItemID:Value
#
Coin:41:50
Coin:42:5
Coin:57:150
#
# Values below are for the shop
# Format is: ItemID:Amount:Cost:Name
#
346:1:5:Fishing Pole
1:64:5:Smooth Stone (Stack)
42:1:5:Iron Block
17:64:10:Wood Logs (Stack)
263:64:10:Coal (Stack)
2:64:10:Grassy Dirt (Stack)
12:64:10:Sand (Stack)
80:64:20:Snow (Stack)
18:64:20:Leaves (Stack)
78:64:20:Snow Covering (Stack)
20:64:25:Glass (Stack)
82:64:25:Clay (Stack)
48:64:25:Mossy Cobble (Stack)
79:64:30:Ice Block (Stack)
35:64:30:Wool (Stack)
264:3:50:Diamond (3pcs)
41:1:50:Gold Block
49:16:50:Obsidian (16pcs)
52:1:1000:Pig Spawner
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th October 2010, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8368 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Interesting...
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Average - Post: 137

Relaxed

Lets look into the mod before we go any further with material currency.

Also note that on the page you linked thermal, poem has:
Quote:
I also think I have a superior logger for people who grief servers. My poemLogger will log to server the name, object used, and coordinates of water spring, lava spring, water bucket, lava bucket, lighter, obsidian, and bedrock. In addition to logging this, anyone in the "mods" group will get messaged with the name, item, and coords and be able to use a /respond command to warp to the location as needed.
Lets look into getting that ASAP.
Vonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3676

Cynical

I agree with TI, Coal is common enough and easy to find. It has value as a fuel. But things like gold or diamonds would be worth a lot of coal.

I think we should come up with some kind of "Cost Table" that says x is worth y of z.

My main opposition to using gold is its "value" would be too high to buy lesser items in realistic quantities.

Saying that, I think the "bank" should be able to store types of resource - cobble, wood, dirt and sand excluded - as everything has some kind of value.

I would also like to see the continuation of the "here, have this, i got more" as that it the TOG way!

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
Lets look into getting that ASAP.
This afternoon there were about 3 or 4 trees alight near the end of the T intersection of my road and the road leading to Fox's castle.... As with the sanctuary fire last night, they were just burning stumps - so been burning long enough the leaves were gone... but I have no idea how long they could have been burning, since it's too far to see from my castle when I have the draw distance low.... Luckily it hadn't spread to any other trees, as it's a reasonable forest and could have burned out a fair bit... No idea how it started, since there is no lava or obvious fire sources anywhere near there....
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Part of the problem with this is that the map grows infinitely, giving us infinite resources. The only thing finite is time required to gather resources. Maybe thats not a problem, but limiting the size of the map has a few advantages, like less server load, and increasing the value of realestate.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1365 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Indeed, I think we should consider a moratorium on further expansion of the map and encourage exploration and utilisation of the current land mass. It's not like we have a shortage of space for our population - I could claim another dozen regions the same size as my current one and still not make a dent in the available land.

I also agree with the idea/plan to get something like that response script installed. I don't expect we'd need to intervene very often but it's good to have a contingency in place should we inadvertently let an undesirable have access.

ArcheAge :: Nesox
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2008

Asleep

I think the only currency that may work is diamonds, they're pretty rare (rare-er than gold) and once the fix for infinite tool health is in then diamonds will be in demand.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

then again i have to ask, would you be more liekly to make a tool with your 3 diamonds, or swap it for some other item?

most likely tools
Kazaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonder View Post
Lets look into the mod before we go any further with material currency.
Testing poemCredits at the moment, and there's a bug where you can't deposit. Someone's indicated on the forum that the associated class wasn't declared in the code. They tried to fix it quickly but it's still not resolved. I'm going to have a look at the source, but I've never even looked at java before so who knows if it'll make any sense to me. The plugin has only been out a day or two so I'd expect someone will fix it pretty shortly anyway.

As it's come up, I'll mention that there's also a plugin called HouseArrest which enforces map boundaries. It does so based upon a distance from spawn, so given that spawn currently isn't centre of the map it wouldn't restrict exploration much to the north, but could be set to restrict further southward exploration.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote