Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th October 2010, 10:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
I think the only currency that may work is diamonds, they're pretty rare (rare-er than gold) and once the fix for infinite tool health is in then diamonds will be in demand.
I may be missing something but your currency needs to be something that's not extremely rare. Thinking real world, we have dollars as a currency. $1 coin isn't much (not rare) compared to $100 note (rare). If we all only had $100 notes as our base currency we couldn't buy anything that cost less than that. Diamond, or gold for that matter in my mind would be too rare to purchase more common items. Anyway, if poemCredits is a goer, it would seem a more balanced approach (so long as it's set up right).
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th October 2010, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Average - Post: 137

Relaxed

The model behind it is that the higher scarcity, the higher the inherit value. Higher value, more demand, more influential over the economy; and a currency aims for influence. At least that's what they told us in economics 10 years ago .

On the mod; did you download the latest? There were to of the economy mods in his repository, one updated only recently. I don't know if I remember correctly, but didn't Mighty know his way around java? Or was that someone else? He might be able to fix it.

If we were to use the map limiter, I think we would need to make a new map first.
Vonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Personally, I could not care less about the potential for a trade currency. I would hope that in the idealised world of Togopia the standards that TOGGERS adhere to as gamers will make this unnecessary. If someone asks for a resource and I have spare, I will happily give it to someone who needs it. I would hope that other TOGGERS would do the same for me.

Vonder had a huge oversupply of glass for his dome, and when asked he gave. I am probably generating a huge oversupply of refined stone for my castle. I am not prepared to give it away until I know how much I need, but when I do I will happily give it freely. I have already done this for some other resources I had too much of.

If I genuinely need a resource that is not available I would simply mine for it, rather than mine for a more scarce resouce just so I can buy the resouce I could have mined in the first place!

If we introduce a standard currency then some might be less inclined to share from an over-abundance...

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Relaxed

Depending on whether or not the anti griefing mod works well, we might not need a currency at all (although I think it would be cool ). The main problem we've been having is griefing, and too much admin spawning of items. The currency idea was proposed to create a fair system of admin item spawning.

I don't think anything will effect the giving nature of toggers. Even with a currency I'll still be more then happy to give people what they need.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

I think we need to find some way to limit map expansion... even if we say we won't explore, if you travel to edges, you're still going to have the potential to expand it accidentally. I really don't want to have to start a new map

Quote:
The main problem we've been having is griefing, and too much admin spawning of items. The currency idea was proposed to create a fair system of admin item spawning.
Well maybe while we work out currency, we set a limit on admin spawning stuff.... It's only been TNT, water and lava yeah? so make an XX per week limit on those things...
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 02:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Well I've got poemCredits running fine on hey0 build 100 (build I believe TOG server runs) by disabling the ability to sell resources to the ATM/Store (comment out "coin" lines in shop.txt).

In this configuration you can essentially use it as a credit limited store for players. Each player is assigned X credits (within the currency.txt file) which they can spend on whatever is available within the ATM/Store.

So if at the start of each month the players are assigned 500 credits then they can choose to spend that during the course of the month on for example 100 glass, 50 water, 10 lava, 5 tnt, 2 diamonds or any combination based upon the pre-assigned credit prices for each item (in shop.txt). Their available credits are tracked by the plugin without admins/mods having to remember who they or another admin/mod has already spawned a large amount of stuff for, and players aren't restricted to relying on admins/mods being available. At the start of the next month the currency.txt file is either reset to 500 credits per player or edited to add 500 credits per player (enabling carryover from month to month).

Should remove the need for admins/mods to be spawning any items, except in extreme circumstances.

Visitors to the server without build access would not be given access to the /buy or /account commands, thus couldn't use it to obtain items.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 5th October 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 04:44 AM   #27 (permalink)

Relaxed

In addition to monthly credit, we have decided to introduce a PPC (pay per credit) scheme. For only $49.95 a month, you will be able to unlock your creative side; with an additional 100 credits if you purchase using the codeword "togopia".

Just kidding . Anyway, I think the mod will be a really good addition if everything functions as planned.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3675

Cynical

TI sounds like a good plugin. I would like to see the credits added to your current balance, so you can save up for things. If the credits just reset at 500, then you couldn't save up for things like new diamonds for a set of tools.

oh, can we name the currency? I vote TOGgles!

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

yeah sounds like a good idea. I am tending towards thinking that I would prefer admins to never spawn anything. Really, aside from TNT, the spawning has been cos other stuff is bugged. The bugs will get fixed surely.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 09:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Ohh yeah if it works to allow you to save up - and doesn't require any admin pestering, then I think that sounds great!
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote