Old 5th October 2010, 10:10 AM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza View Post
Personally, I could not care less about the potential for a trade currency. I would hope that in the idealised world of Togopia the standards that TOGGERS adhere to as gamers will make this unnecessary. If someone asks for a resource and I have spare, I will happily give it to someone who needs it. I would hope that other TOGGERS would do the same for me.

Vonder had a huge oversupply of glass for his dome, and when asked he gave. I am probably generating a huge oversupply of refined stone for my castle. I am not prepared to give it away until I know how much I need, but when I do I will happily give it freely. I have already done this for some other resources I had too much of.

If I genuinely need a resource that is not available I would simply mine for it, rather than mine for a more scarce resouce just so I can buy the resouce I could have mined in the first place!

If we introduce a standard currency then some might be less inclined to share from an over-abundance...

Manuzza
COMMUNIST!

Old 5th October 2010, 10:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2009

Asleep

I don't think any "currency" would work, barter may work fine however. I like the idea of credits, as it's effectively a trade system, just facilitated by the server and is therefore far cleaner than any other system. The credits aren't currency as they aren't traded between players.

I would love to be able to trade all my dirt and sand for stone (even at 10:1).

On the other side, we would (and should anyway IMO) ban the use of TNT. Half of what is impressive about projects is the amount of time it takes to clear and collect enough resources to complete them. TNT allows for massive clearing and massive collection of base resources like cobbles and sand.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

I'm fine with a ban on TNT. It was fun to play with but aside from play, I agree its a cheap substitute for hard work. Not to mention it makes a mess if you are trying to create something straight.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 11:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 73

Inspired

This credits system sounds like the way to go, and i agree that tnt should be banned for normal use.

some exceptions could be made for community projects, e.g. clearing that massive hill for spawn village
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 12:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
I don't think any "currency" would work, barter may work fine however. I like the idea of credits, as it's effectively a trade system, just facilitated by the server and is therefore far cleaner than any other system. The credits aren't currency as they aren't traded between players.

I would love to be able to trade all my dirt and sand for stone (even at 10:1).

On the other side, we would (and should anyway IMO) ban the use of TNT. Half of what is impressive about projects is the amount of time it takes to clear and collect enough resources to complete them. TNT allows for massive clearing and massive collection of base resources like cobbles and sand.
If not for TNT we never would have found the world's largest obsidian mine which is open for all to use and will not run out for a very long time. This mine is also very rich in coal and iron and gold and redstone.

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 12:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

"Hard work"? How about you do what's fun for you, and I do what's fun for me
Old 5th October 2010, 12:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza View Post
If not for TNT we never would have found the world's largest obsidian mine which is open for all to use and will not run out for a very long time. This mine is also very rich in coal and iron and gold and redstone.

Manuzza
we can easily manufacture obsidian once buckets are fixed.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_one View Post
"Hard work"? How about you do what's fun for you, and I do what's fun for me
yeah no problems. We do need to figure out the balance between anarchy and fun - I am sure griefers think its fun to set everything on fire.
Old 5th October 2010, 01:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

I don't think we need to flat out ban TNT - it can be used for good - but I do personally think that it's use contributes to some people having excesses of resources (as they can then be obtained quickly) and can contribute to faster urban sprawl as people go looking for more mountains to conquer. I think it should be limited to community projects or if there is a real justification for its use.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 01:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

Hopefully once TNT becomes craftable, we can let the natural order of things dictate how much TNT exists in the world without having to spawn any