The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/)
-   -   Biomes video. (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/326763-biomes-video.html)

red_one 28th October 2010 11:07 AM

Biomes video.

Sorontar 28th October 2010 11:19 AM

That world is massive!

I am a little disappointed with the size of the biomes. I would have thought that the deserts would be a bit larger. The distinction between taiga/rainforest etc is harder to spot when travelling at that speed but you can see some differences in the greens used (I think) and the sky colour. I couldn't see any change due to height.

Justin Kace 28th October 2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorontar (Post 2942301)
That world is massive!

I am a little disappointed with the size of the biomes. I would have thought that the deserts would be a bit larger. The distinction between taiga/rainforest etc is harder to spot when travelling at that speed but you can see some differences in the greens used (I think) and the sky colour. I couldn't see any change due to height.

Agree. Underwhelmed but still, care factor is low due to it still being in alpha and all. I couldn't really differentiate between anything but snow, desert and temperate. There appears to be no rhyme or reason, but then I'm comparing it to biomes in dwarf fortress which are realistically generated as part of a larger overall world map, much more finite than that of Minecraft.

It'll still be cool to have a greater mixture of land types in game. :)

MMOGAddict 28th October 2010 05:34 PM

Would be nice if some real world rules could be used in terrain generation. For example anything over X height has a 50% chance of generating snow. Or have a setting of X distance from the map origin in the N and S directions starts to increase the % chance of snow terrain. With the X settings being set by the admin on map creation.

Also the ability to have a finite world, so again the admin will be able to set that the world can't be any bigger than X by Y and at the boundaries the world wraps around.

But overall, I'm liking the look of having the different terrain - that said you think he could have turned off day/night while making the damn video.

Spice. 28th October 2010 05:52 PM

Judging by his blog and twitter that video is just to show it works.
He's now working on making the biomes larger, greater colour differences between zones and smoother transitions. Also less snow. ;)

Sp!at 28th October 2010 06:08 PM

Have a look at some of his early videos. It shows the progression of the game. :)

DaedalusAlpha 28th October 2010 06:42 PM

I think their idea of the biome being able to change the world to fit it is a bit backwards. Personally I would have let the world change the biome, such as letting high mountains generate a snow biome, water proximity generate rainforests and so on.