Old 16th December 2010, 11:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
Is really as simple as:

1. Find a spot you like
2. Post a piccy (and I suggest a quick google search "free image hosting" to help you with that)
3. Check the thread for responses....
Exactly...

There are probably only going to be a few cases where someone's claimed area isn't marked on the map with a warp (which is the only time it's a problem)..... so chances are that if you pick a spot on the map that's not got a warp point near it - you're probably going to be fine claiming that for yourself. But post your intention just to make sure... It's really not that complicated!....

Quote:
You forget one thing. All users that don't want that anyone claims their already claimed land MUST log in every day to see if anyone want to. I don't want that.
This is a social game.... you're playing on a TOG server, set up to benefit users of this forum.... if you don't want to check the forums regularly - included in that is checking any new claims aren't in your unmarked areas - then you may run the risk of having people build on your land. It's the choice you take by not checking the forum every few days and participating in forumy goodness

But if your claims are marked with warps... and you've got a pic of your claim here for people to reference if they need to (if they want to build close and know where your claimed area actually covers), you should be fine.... without the need of complicated programs and plotting your exact co-ordinates.... If your warps are on the map, it's unlikely someone is going to want to lay claim to your area, because clearly someone has claimed that area... even moreso if there is an actual building on it..... Mostly people respect the fact that if there is some sort of construction happening in a spot, they won't build close to there because it's obvious someone else has set up in that area - if everyone follows that courtesy, there should be very few problems... If you're worried, pop a stone block with a torch on it, every so often around the perimeter of your claimed area so it's more visible on the map...

Quote:
figure out a service to use where you publish your pictures.
We are all computer literate people (by virtue of the fact we're here, a gaming forum, most likely using a computer to access it, and we are playing a computer game).... in this day and age, with all the gadgets and gizmos we have... and the wonder that is google... there is no excuse not to be able to learn to put a photo in a forum..... Places like photobucket and flickr offer free image hosting... you can google them... and there should be guides out there on how to use them if it's not obvious how to do so. I believe I have also offered that if for some reason people can't figure that out, they are welcome to send the claim image to me and I can upload it... not that you should need to - if you can play minecraft, you can work out image hosting. To put the photo here, it's as simple as pressing the icon of a pointy mountain on a yellow background, pasting in the url of the picture....

Last edited by Obsi; 16th December 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th December 2010, 12:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
This is a social game.... you're playing on a TOG server, set up to benefit users of this forum.... if you don't want to check the forums regularly - included in that is checking any new claims aren't in your unmarked areas - then you may run the risk of having people build on your land.

I'm very happy to check this forum regularly, don't take me wrong. We were only comparing two different solutions. Which one is the best is NOT very obvious until they are understood and tested.
joohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 04:50 AM   #53 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by exekewtable View Post
I don't think there is any technical solution that can adequately balance admin time, technical capabilities and the need of people to have their own space at the moment.
Bottom line is, watch out for your neighbours, and dial before you dig.
My thinking has also been along this line.

To date we haven't had ongoing problems with constructions / claims overlapping. The couple of issue have been resolved through discussion. There is still plenty of unexplored and accessible areas of the map that can be claimed such that there shouldn't really be a need to build within view of someone else's construction. If you are building within view it's pretty much a given that you need to have spoken to them first - the warp markers on the map should assist in identifying who's in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joohansson View Post
We were only comparing two different solutions. Which one is the best is NOT very obvious until they are understood and tested.
Quite a bit of an investment required by someone to build and test a solution however. Hey, if someone wants to come up with a working prototype then it could be considered (subject to not adding to the existing work of the server admins), but the ROI seems pretty low to me personally.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 05:49 AM   #54 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
To date we haven't had ongoing problems with constructions / claims overlapping.
Agree, but it's not a bad thing to think about the future before the problem start to occur. We are hopefully a growing community. As a new member I obviously have had some issues with all rules but I think I have understood where to build things now. The concept is very different between communities as well I can imagine, this is the first one for me though.

Last edited by joohansson; 17th December 2010 at 06:41 AM.
joohansson is offline   Reply With Quote