Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th November 2010, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3676

Cynical

If the map trim mod works, then quite a small trim could be enforced, but just the nature of the gameplay will enforce that anyway. not to say you couldn't go a long way if you had the time.

If we do trim the map, just make sure we get at least one patch of each biome

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious

Last edited by Non Action Man; 24th November 2010 at 09:52 AM.
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th November 2010, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9278

I don't think a number of you are quite understanding our effort at understanding you. It is no good simply to say "yes" to mobs, etc. The game may potentially have many options for many things. We need more information if we are to understand how you would like to play the game (within the limitations of what Notch seems to be heading towards offerring). The list of points that Thermal gave are discussion *topics*, not a checklist. Please tell us more.

Why do I say this? Well, looking at mobs/animals in particular...
  • Do you want them in the game at all?
  • Do you want monsters to spawn at night?
  • Do you want animals but not monsters (or vice versa)? I am not sure whether any of this would be possible, mind you.
  • Would you like to set a limit to the spawning distance (e.g. 20 blocks from people, up to 10 blocks from spawncage)?
Re: warps/teleports, we have had previous discussions about this. There are actually various options available (with the right mods).
  • /warp command
  • /tp command
  • constructed teleport points (Runecraft)
  • commands to teleport other people to you
  • Nether portals (ie. a visit to Notch's "hell" and back)
  • /home command
  • /spawn command
I am not sure what "options" will ever be given for damage. It is looking like Notch is fixing up SMP damage to match that in singleplayer. He may end up giving options for various difficulty levels of the game. However, people normally discuss:
  • fire damage
  • drowning
  • falling
  • hurting mobs
  • mobs hurting players
  • players hurting players directly
So please consider these expanded points and many more when telling us your thoughts. A simple "yes" is not really very clear.

Last edited by Sorontar; 24th November 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add /home and /spawn
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 73

Inspired

Two servers:
Creative (current)
  • Mobs / Animals - Mobs no, Animals yes
  • Damage - no damage (damage to animals if possible)
  • Warps - 2 options, keep it how it is with warps, or setting a user limit on warps (say 5/person)
  • Teleporting (yourself / others) - /tp is essential for the creative server to show off your work, /tphere is a bit controversial though.
    The only real benefit I have found for it as a player is when someone tp's to me when I am working on something not ready for the public eye, so I quickly warp out and tp them away
  • Keep the current map

Survival (new)
  • Mobs / Animals - Mobs yes, Animals yes
  • Damage - all damage, though if possible, make falling from large heights reduce you to 1 heart instead of killing outright (may not be possible though)
  • Warps - no warps, that way there will be more focus on community transportation projects
  • Teleporting (yourself / others) - tp yes, tphere no. If it makes the world feel too small being able to /tp to each other too often, I suggest looking into a lockout timer on the command of some sort, say usable once per half hour
  • Fresh new world, and I suggest there be 24-48hrs notice before the new server starts, so we can all log in together for the first time
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Brush View Post
Full survival for me.

I get bored with just building way too quickly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and two servers.

The survival one would likely be quite small since it's better to keep everything close together and well lit.
This.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

I get what you are saying Sor, but it's a little hard to tell you what we would like when we don't yet know all the possible options - I'd also hate to wander down a path of discussion to find that ultimately it's not possible.

I think also when saying "yes" to a particular option, (or no) then it is the understood default to which we are agreeing. (or not )

might just be me though.......
Old 24th November 2010, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
I think also when saying "yes" to a particular option, (or no) then it is the understood default to which we are agreeing. (or not )
The problem is that there is no "understood default" (unless Thermal has one). That's why I would like people to say more than "yes". Otherwise, I am feeling that I can't advise Thermal on how we can best manage your wishes, because I can't understand those wishes. I repeat Thermal's posting...
Quote:
Discussion Topics (Do you want .......? Why? Why Not?)
Old 24th November 2010, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3676

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
The problem is that there is no "understood default" (unless Thermal has one). That's why I would like people to say more than "yes". Otherwise, I am feeling that I can't advise Thermal on how we can best manage your wishes, because I can't understand those wishes. I repeat Thermal's posting...
I thought understood default is what we have now.

Animals yes
mobs no
damage no
warps yes
tp yes

We don't know the many options, we simply know a on or off option.

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious

Last edited by Non Action Man; 24th November 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Action Man View Post
I thought understood default is what we have now.
That is merely how we have set up the server, given what is presently installed. There is nothing default about it.

Quote:
We don't know the many options, we simply know a on or off option.
That is why I was trying to expand your thoughts beyond the present world and mods with my dot points.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2067

Lurking

2 servers, the current one, and the one built "How it was meant to be played"

the 2nd server, with all the base options on (creatures, dragons, flying pterodactyls..) ...

Or seen this way

1 mod server (build/play)
1 non-mod server

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 73

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
So please consider these expanded points and many more when telling us your thoughts. A simple "yes" is not really very clear.

UPDATED Survival (new)
  • Mobs: All Mobs (including creepers) using the games default spawn rules
    -Reasoning: Its really not survival without this
  • Animals: All Animals
    -Reasoning: Farming animals for material will actually have a use in survival
  • PVE damage: On (fire, drowning, monster) Fall damage changed to 1 heart instead of death
    -Reasoning: Essential for a survival server, insta-death on falling could become tedious
  • PVP damage: Off
    -Reasoning: We want players working together, maybe once the server is established and the novelty of forming adventuring parties has worn off PVP can be looked into
  • Warps: No Warps
    -Reasoning: More focus on community transportation projects (boat,rail,walkways)
  • Teleporting: tp yes (limited), tphere no.
    -Reasoning: tphere should be admin only, tp should be limted by a)a usage timer and/or b)a accept/decline prompt of the player you are tp'ing to (may be entirely impossible to do)
  • New world, and I suggest there be 24-48hrs notice before the new server starts, so we can all log in together for the first time
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote