Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th November 2010, 11:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Thanks for the clarification Sor - I'll expand my post above with your points in mind.

Cheers.

Old 24th November 2010, 11:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2719

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeTails View Post
2 servers, the current one, and the one built "How it was meant to be played"

the 2nd server, with all the base options on (creatures, dragons, flying pterodactyls..) ...

Or seen this way

1 mod server (build/play)
1 non-mod server
You kinda need mods on both servers, otherwise the survivial server won't have a whitelist, which I think everybody can agree with is a must. Thats one of the major points with the Hey0 mod that we use on the current server.
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R, 890J | RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
As for the survival server, I say go hard core - really turn up the heat:
Hehe be careful with this request, Notch is actually planning a Hardcore mode, which will be norespawn/limited respawn (like once / 24/48/72 hours kinda thing, or until the map is destroyed/fresh map starts.)

Old 24th November 2010, 11:09 AM   #24 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2066

Lurking

weeeeeellll ok, a mod to keep the riff-raff out (or the ones we don't know about, as most of the riff-raff are on the current white list )

So, if there is a mod.... just keep it contained to the "essentials" of the mod..

similar to the TF2 servers..
Customs Server & Vanilla

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

If you are concerned about who can do what, the present setup allows us Admins to define things like the following for each player group:
  • what blocks/items you can place or mine
  • what commands you can use
  • what /kits you can use
We can also set up server wide restrictions on the use of blocks/items, e.g. even we cannot spawn bedrock.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 358

Fine

My vote is for 2 servers the current creative and a new Survival with a similar danger level to singleplayer.

Current creative server
* Mobs / Animals No/No I have said before that the animals should stay, but really they just get in the way
* Damage none
* Warps all
* Teleporting (yourself / others) all
* Two servers yes
* Starting map(s) afresh no.

The current server become the creative/build server and can stay as it is.
I like the option to freely build without worrying about falling or creepers ect. I'm happy with the current state of mods and settings to allow people to unleash their creativity.

New survival server
* Mobs / Animals yes/yes All monsters for the danger, all animals for their resourses
* Damage all
* Warps none
* Teleporting (yourself / others) None for the general populace. admins should have some to beable to their work and investigations.
* Two servers yes
* Starting map(s) afresh Yes

I would like a new survival server with all the danger of the single player game ie all mobs, all damage, no teleporting, no kits or item creation, access to the nether ect.
I want to work with the community to defend ourselves against the hositle world. If I want to strike out myself, make a fort and built a golden throne; it should be a major effort.
I think there should be mods like the white list to keep the riff raff out. And admin mods as we have now to for stuff like anti griefing.

Played with TOG: WAR, Eve, Champions Online, TF2, Global Agenda, LOTRO, SWTOR.
Before TOG: WOW, EVE, LOTRO
Gersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 01:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

I think we're going to have to have 2 servers to best meet the needs of the 2 differing types of players.

So with that in mind, I say we keep the current server as it is, if we can trim it down in size to allow 2 servers.... and that becomes the "creative" one, with the settings basically as it is now

Two servers - I would like the ability to warp between servers, but if that's not possible I still think 2 servers are going to give better gameplay for all involved than to try to conform 2 lots of players to the one space. I don't like the idea of creating a walled off "safe" area - for the reasons someone else said about that discouraging any exploring or movement out of that area.

Starting map(s) afresh
- While I was against that idea at first, because I'd hate to see our work lost, if we need to start again to have a fresh server with imposed size restriction so it doesn't get out of hand again, then that would be ok. I think creation of a "survival" server would need to be on a new map (for the benefit of there being no buildings there to hide in etc. )

Creative server:
  • Mobs / Animals - No to all mobs. Yes to animals. Ideally I'd like to see the ability to kill the animals, and if we can drop the spawn rate so there are fewer that would be good. I wouldn't be adverse to removing the animals if thats what people want either (since they serve no purpose and are becoming annoying).
  • Damage - no to all damage
  • Warps - Yes to warps. Warps allow you to travel to key points on the map to look at what others are doing. Without that a lot of the social aspect I believe will be gone. While there is an argument for creating a rail service instead, it's not going to work. There are too many locations in too many directions to have a rail system that would service the area - not to mention the fact that you can't just plonk rail down where you want to - as people's claimed areas will fall between points you want to connect. I don't want to see a map of rail lines everywhere just to avoid the ability to warp. It seems silly to me.
  • Teleporting (yourself / others) - yes to teleporting to others, no to teleporting others to you (should be modmin use only). While I don't think it has been abused yet, the ability to teleport someone to you, against their will, I don't think is necessary.
  • Kits - as they are currently

Survival server:

• Mobs / Animals - Yes to mobs (though ideally I'd like creepers off, since they damage buildings). Yes to animals (need their resources)
  • Damage - I like Crime's idea for falls to decrease to 1 heart rather than death (though I'd prefer no fall damage). I don't like the idea of other players being able to harm or kill other players... I think that would impact on any community feel and lead to potential problems.
  • Warps - Since it seems the survivalists are against warps, I'd be happy for no warps on the survival server. Or perhaps give modmins warp ability so that warps could be created if they are later deemed necessary (like perhaps a safehouse)
  • Teleporting (yourself / others) - Again I don't think teleporting others should be on either server. I'd rather have teleporting on (for the social interaction side), but if it's decided to be off that's ok.
  • Kits - Restricted, so that you can only obtain resources from gathering them yourself (or trading with someone). That includes no admins spawning things for players.

on warps/teleporting - some argue none should be allowed so that people can't escape from danger... personally I think players should have the choice to do that or not - use it if you want, don't if you don't want....(and I think you'd have more of the "creative" folk willing to venture over if they knew there was always that option to avoid harm if they wanted)... If you respawn at a spawn point rather than where you were last when you die, I suppose you won't get into situations were it would be necessary to warp out (like being stuck in lava, encased in rock or falling off the edge of the world or something), however that is a problem on the no-damage server, where you could otherwise be trapped there forever :P

It could be argued that having a warp thing available where players can travel between servers would allow them to escape danger and potentially mine for resources in the safety of the "creative" server.... I don't know if any limit is (or should be) imposed on carrying inventory across..... (just putting that out there for thought)

Last edited by Obsi; 24th November 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 02:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen

Cynical

/home gives you 1 warp point that can be set anywhere.
/spawn gives you 1 warp point that is fixed to an admin designated spawn point.
/tp gives you the ability to warp to see other peoples work or to get to a new location.

Those three are all you should need on the survival server. Though I can see the arguement for even less than that. I really can't see an arguement for more than that on the Survival server.

I still have trouble seeing anything beyond those three really being needed on the Creative one but can live with warps on the creative server if the majority want it. My main concern with warps ont he creative server is it tends to lead to map explosion.
Old 24th November 2010, 02:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

we have things in place now to stop mass expansion though.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

yes.. anybody crossing ze invisible wall VILL BE SHOT!