Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th November 2010, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
How will you be stopped from going outside the bounds? As far as I know there is no support for this in the current engine?
There are a number of mods that are designed specifically for this purpose. Depending on what is set up, you may simply have your movement prevented with a message appearing on the screen to tell you why. We don't need to have a physical barrier though I believe some mods do offer something physical (like a line on the sky or ground) as an option. If you are tunnelling.... then you shouldn't tunnel so close to the border
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th November 2010, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

I would also like to remind people that all of this can be related to what is already in a sticky (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ml#post2955117) ...

Quote:
To claim other land, we suggest you look at the current server map and do a little exploring (but try to keep within the boundaries of the existing map).
We are now suggesting making those boundaries a little stricter.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2066

Lurking

If my tunnel has an abrupt end it it, its fine with me, I'll just build out further , or...

I'll just undermine the civilisation, 1 block at a time

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
I'll just undermine the civilisation, 1 block at a time
Well it is worth noting that when people claim an area, they are making claim from bedrock to sky limit, so while they may only build above land, their claim extends below it.

It is unfortunate that explorations will be lost - however we have had discussions on map size/server strain before, and there needs to be a balance between the needs of the many, vs the needs of a few who would like to expand the map for largely their own gain. If exploring is what interests you, there is always the option to set yourself your own multiplayer server on your own machine
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1663

Amused

Im fine with this... exploring is cool and finding nice formations etc but its not the end of the world
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Im fine with this... exploring is cool and finding nice formations etc but its not the end of the world
Thanks DM. Your warps were the ones that I was most concerned about as I wasn't 100% sure when they first appeared and thus if there had been massive work beneath them, out of sight of our eye in the sky.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 73

Inspired

Looking at the area in the proposed trimming, we have only explored a third at most.

I would suggest trimming smaller again if possible, though I know the current proposal is on the edge of some players areas
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2717

Cynical

It depends whether its the current world that is causing problems or whether its the map program trying to render the current world thats the problem.

If its the render, the simple solution is not to render this world.
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R, 890J | RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2066

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Well it is worth noting that when people claim an area, they are making claim from bedrock to sky limit, so while they may only build above land, their claim extends below it.
Thats ok, I have already thought of what to do there...

If you locate whats been "claimed" I'll just dig around the claimed area, and make each claim into a Island..

Removing blocks means that the rendering program doesn't have to do anything there :P

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 12:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

actually I think the problem is the map rendering does have to do something in the empty voids.... isn't it? which is why the strain gets worse even if people only make a thin branch off the main map, where you'd think it won't add much extra. Since the actual land area of the new explorations aren't all that big - but they expand the whole area the map takes up.

I don't know MMOG... but I've noticed warping is incredibly laggy now (for the last week or so), compared to normal.... I don't know why, since you'd think if it's only loading a segment around you, it shouldn't matter how big the whole map is... but it seems maybe it does.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote