Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th January 2011, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

Default Test Survival Server now has Bukkit and Mods

As the title says, the test survival server now runs using Bukkit and various mods, like the test creative server. However, it is a little different. For that reason, we need to also run it through a testing stage.

The basic set of commands are listed in-game in the /help list. They are:
/help
/who
/spawn
/home
/tp
/pvp
/me
We also have an antigriefing mod running and a indestructible glass border set at 1000 blocks from spawn. There is a whitelist and players belong to the same groups and colours as we originally used.

Players cannot use warps or /tphere. Monster mobs generate at night. Health does not regenerate except through eating food.

A new addition to this server is the /pvp command. Each time you login into the server, this is set to 'off'. While it is off, no other player can attack you. Nor can you attack another player. However, if you change your status with /pvp on, then you can attack any other player that has pvp on. You can never attack someone with pvp off. There is no way of telling the status of a particular player (or yourself), except through discussion or injuring them. There are no pvp/no-pvp zones. This individual pvp status can be used anywhere within the borders of the world. Your status is maintained if you respawn after being killed. It is reset to "off" if you leave the world.

So have fun. Set homes. Tp to each other. Talk to each other. PVP with each other. And tell us if anything goes wrong

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th January 2011, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3675

Cynical

Cool, thanks Sor!

I wonder if my signpost is still up then, as I put it at -1000, -1000.

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Well, that is a good test of the border mod then. Tell us if you can find the sign. It might have been changed into glass. 1000 blocks isn't too long a walk. Obsi and I both found the border in a couple of places for the creative server and warps have been set there (no warps for survival). And yes, it is a square border, so the world is confined in a 2000x2000x128 glass box (but you can see through and see the chunks beyond).

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 27th January 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 27th January 2011, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

went out to the border. looks nice.
There were poor chickens stuck on the other side shivering in the cold..i couldn't help them.
Old 27th January 2011, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

cool!
Any idea when we'll move the mods onto the non-test survival world?
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac.retox View Post
cool!
Any idea when we'll move the mods onto the non-test survival world?
Soon :^) Things are looking good so far, but I would like to see more people on the servers for longer. A number of the new mods use databases etc and I would like to test them when they have a bigger demand. I also want to hear your verdict on the PvP mod. There is an alternative set of mods to that but I *really* don't want to use them. KISS is what I say when considering systems that are still in development. Hopefully there won't be any more MC updates for a few weeks since Notch is on holidays.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 28th January 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 28th January 2011, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1469

Great work Sorontar, glad to see this is up and running. I think i am ready to unhook this mod and go back to SMP.
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3675

Cynical

I know that in the real SMP server we've just finished the pvp arena, but a few new things have come along since we started that server..... dare i suggest we start again? Though, the PVP arena looks so awesome, I would hate to see it go, or have it built again. Is there a way we could get that chunk into a new map?

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Action Man View Post
I know that in the real SMP server we've just finished the pvp arena, but a few new things have come along since we started that server..... dare i suggest we start again? Though, the PVP arena looks so awesome, I would hate to see it go, or have it built again. Is there a way we could get that chunk into a new map?
Um, yes and no. I believe there are map editors that allow you to play around with entire chunks, but I would rather not complicate things with that. Manuzza got one working well enough to crop the Creative world before we enforced the border, but we didn't shift any existing chunks.

Now are you suggesting that with the intro of lakes and blue lapis and new trees that we should have more "virgin" land added? Personally, I think that the creative world has plenty of unseen land to search in. As to the Survival server, have we really explored that far that we can't find new chunks to mine in? Or are you suggesting we delete any chunks more than X from spawn, so that the areas close to spawn are untouched?

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 29th January 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 29th January 2011, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Just to get the new lapis and new trees? I wouldn't want to have to start again....

When I had to edit my single player world to fix a corrupted chunk, I used MC edit I think it was, and with that you basically just select areas to delete.... so I cropped mine back to just around spawn, and while the size of my save folder stayed the same (so it didn't appear to have lessened the world in that regard) everywhere I went out from spawn was then "new" land and I had the new trees and whatnot...

If you were to do that though, you'd have to give everyone the opportunity to collect their belongings and go back to spawn. I don't know what happens to people who are in a chunk that was deleted, but my pegasus I had out in my single player game, seemed to be returned to my house....

If we don't want to delete it all (leaving an area around spawn), we could work out areas of unused land, mark them with pillars and delete those to give new land
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote