Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st February 2011, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused
Default Visibly claiming territory

Seeing as I was encroaching on quirkymonster's area my daughter and I headed out to uncharted map territory (black on the map), and have started bedding down in a pretty interesting landscape.

What is the best way of securing an area so it's immediately recognisable as claimed, as in boundaries.

Huge great walls clearly mark an area I guess but they are an eyesore to be honest. Okay if your theme is castle.

Glass walls, wow lots of glass?
Corner towers maybe?
Dig down 10 blocks rather than build up right around?
Maybe something skyward? A giant rainbow coloured boundary??? Oh colours are at a premium in this format.

Any (aesthetically pleasing) ideas?

Last edited by MadMax; 21st February 2011 at 01:20 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st February 2011, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9302

Is this for Creative or Survival, since I don't think we have formalised claims for Survival. We are just being polite and not getting in each other's road... much..

The way I sometimes do it is place torches regularly around the border. Even better, place them on top of a type of block that is really out of place, e.g. cobblestone, woodpanneling. Likewise, regularly making small constructions like sandstone on cobblestone that are out of place.

There are fancier ways of doing it. Making a "natural" stream is one. Making a road is another. Using natural landmarks like islands, cliff faces or beaches also helps since the border is already made for you; you just need torches on your side.

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2775

Innocent

I was actually asked a map on creative last night for claims by a new member - I just took them to the boundry I had placed and said"That Way!".

Not sure it is much of an issue anymore on creative - seems most people have left it behind?
Old 21st February 2011, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

The huge glass walls I think you were mentioning are the edge of the usable map rather than someones claim.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused

Sorontar I was referring to Survival.

We moved to an area that seemed vacant, but soon found that quirky had burrowed down to an area at an angle that was almost directly below our home (before we had arrived). That's why decided the only way to be sure of not encroaching was to move to a non-mapped black area on the new map, and now we don't want others to not be aware of where we want to colonise.

And now I want to map it out, in a nice way, rather than huge walls.

I might start out with torches, and maybe rivers, with torches, and rivers with sharks with frickin laser beams.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And now I want to map it out, in a nice way, rather than huge walls.
Yeah, well I used big barber poles initially, then used torches on strange blocks on the beach fronts to mark the edges. I haven't yet decided how far back I want to build. Depends what I decide to make.

Quote:
I might start out with torches, and maybe rivers, with torches, and rivers with sharks with frickin laser beams.
Sorry, the Mo' Creatures Mod has lots (including sharks), but not laser mountings (and doesn't do multiplayer ).

Sorontar
ps. you can connect pressure pads to a dispenser and fire eggs at trespassers though. Just don't expect the dispenser to last long.

Last edited by Sorontar; 21st February 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 21st February 2011, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
Not sure it is much of an issue anymore on creative - seems most people have left it behind?
Nah, just waiting for better ideas (and new blocks). I still have unfinished projects on Creative. I might even rebuild some of my existing works with coloured wool.

Sorontar
Old 21st February 2011, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Is this for Creative or Survival, since I don't think we have formalised claims for Survival. We are just being polite and not getting in each other's road... much..
With not having had a map, combined with the expectations that people wouldn't be roaming as far due to dangers / no personal warps, and building as massively considering there's no item spawning (you have to mine it all), we just sort of migrated to going with the approach outlined by Sorontar. It seems to have worked fairly well so far.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 647

Inspired

Actually Madmax that day i didnt burrow, I teleported to you to see how you were doing on your first minecraft night; I havent dug down at all; my fort is above land with no basement. I should have said something.

Last edited by Fate; 21st February 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
Actually Madmax that day i didnt burrow, I teleported to you to see how you were doing on your first minecraft night; I havent dug down at all; my fort is above land with no basement. I should have said something.
Oops.

Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote