Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th April 2011, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default How is the server upgrade going?

More for interest than being pushy but I was wondering what the plan was to upgrade the servers. Are we letting the 'early adopters' sort the bugs for a few weeks?

Thanks

Splat

Old 7th April 2011, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297

I'm afraid that it is partially the same story as last time. Bukkit was updated in 4 hours, but it has taken the mods a lot longer. A number of mods were started by a 19yr old and he has generally been good at updating and improving the mods. Unfortunately, this time he seems to have vanished. While there are others who are trying to pick up the slack and fix the mods, it is a case of sitting and waiting to see if the fixes work. That takes time unfortunately.

That said, I aim to try and test them tonight on my machine. However, I can't really set a timeline for the implementation on the tog servers. At least we have happily been able to keep running the old bukkit and mods on TOG.... even if it is without the doggies.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Splat's post prompted me to have a look at how the mod updating was going and I noted there's quite a few mods that it appears we'll need to transition to an alternate fork, or possibly implement unofficial releases due to author absence.

I also came across this (Bukkit - Bug #634: After teleporting to an unloaded chunk, blocks nearby are registered as AIR by plugins. - Bukkit Project) - Based upon the dates there-in I'm gathering that it may not be in the current recommended build # 617, but not sure what release of bukkit the fix has been implemented in (if it's in an actual compiled release). I never seem to be able to find a simple changelog that details the build differences.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2775

Innocent

What are the mods we use?
Old 7th April 2011, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

We are currently using the following mods:

Plus an anti-griefing solution is in place.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
I also came across this (Bukkit - Bug #634: After teleporting to an unloaded chunk, blocks nearby are registered as AIR by plugins. - Bukkit Project) - Based upon the dates there-in I'm gathering that it may not be in the current recommended build # 617, but not sure what release of bukkit the fix has been implemented in (if it's in an actual compiled release). I never seem to be able to find a simple changelog that details the build differences.
I used to be able to read the change comments at least using dev-CraftBukkit [Jenkins] but the site crashed last night, and now it is back up, a lot of the change reports seem to have disappeared.

As Thermal said, we might have to resort to changing mods again. For instance, our first warp mod was SimpleWarp but it lost its developer for a while. Currently we are using MyWarp but its developer has not been heard from since March (also does MyHome). I have two alternate updates to try, but both come from alternative developers. iChat, Permissions and General all originally had the same developer who we lost last update so the versions we are presently using have all branches by new developers. Luckily, I think they have all updated the mods.

It's a pain, but from what I have seen of the efforts to keep hMod running (or its offshoots kMod and a child of kMod whose name escapes me), Bukkit is still our best bet.

Sorontar

Old 7th April 2011, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
We are currently using the following mods:
Note though that some of these have now branched off and are in new threads, so the new developers can have control over the first post in the thread. The names have been retained.

Sorontar

Old 7th April 2011, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8387 TOG Silver Level Supporter

What's the difference between bukkit and craftbukkit?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Bukkit is the link to minecraft. It is what allows any Bukkit mod's commands to be used in minecraft because it effectively hacks into Minecraft code.

Craftbukkit is the jarfile that interfaces between Bukkit and the mods, so it is what you "run" instead of the minecraft server jarfile. It "reads" the mod jarfiles.

Chatbukkit and HomeBukkit are semi-official bukkit mods that are being developed by members of the Bukkit development team.

Sorontar

Old 8th April 2011, 03:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Thanks for the info. I had no idea it was so involved. I'd seen the Bukkit site and thought that was the only mod we actually ran on the server.

Thermal, you mentioned online a week or so back that there was also a merchant/trader mod for allowing players to buy resources using other resources. Eg buying a quantity of iron for gold. Is anything like this on the cards?