Old 11th May 2011, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Default Planning

Does anyone here use a structure planner type program? I assume that is fine for the survivor server as it would just be a tool to help make your imagined building or structure come together. If so, can you suggest a good one?

I worked hard on a very tall building and I felt that the idea and pattern was good. When I finished it, I am like blaahhhh.

It is mostly due to the game being new to me and not yet really being good at creating great looking objects, but I would have benefited from visualizing it more before building.

Any comments on how you plan and visualize would be helpful.

dday_0612

Old 11th May 2011, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 945

Devilish

The one I just started using is here: Minecraft Structure Planner :: Download

Its actually quite handy, hope that helps ya.

Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I like to go free hand myself but I tend to think in grids easily. Maybe many years of working with graph paper. I tend to lay out my floor in a basic pattern/grid first then see if it will line up about how I hope it will. Worked really well for my two churches. The small one on survival and the massive one on Creative.

When I get worried about space I have a little grid mapping program I use for tabletop games to sort out the layout of things like fancy windows.

But I think what you are looking for is a program like: Minecraft Structure Planner I haven't used for a project yet but have heard good things about it.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

I used structure planner to plan a building I am making on single player (because it was in sandstone, so I wanted to work out how much I'd need)... but I don't build epic buildings, so I just make it up as I go

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9316

I too work on paper. I find that I need to work out what requirements I have for the building, e.g. room height, access site, any features I want to add. I design those parts that are difficult with P&P (pencil and paper). Then I redraw the building as a whole with all these factors incorporated. When needed, I draw grids over the top. It's a good way to spend a long busy trip home in the bus (or waiting for the bus).

That is how I sorted out the dimensions of the hull of my airship and the entire design for my pagoda/refuge on Creative. I have also used it for my present project on Survival.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused

What is this thing you call planning?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
What is this thing you call planning?
It's like playing good chess. You have to think ahead more than one block.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheeky

bah! play it by ear, even if that involves moving a wall of obsidian because it's 1 block out of alignment

*twitch*

Old 11th May 2011, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
bah! play it by ear, even if that involves moving a wall of obsidian because it's 1 block out of alignment

*twitch*
I have, a lot

Just did last night on my sandstone temple complex. Was laying the wall and was like hmm this isn't right. was 1 off.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cheeky

Don't you hate that!.. and you stand there going "hmm, that's an awful lot of work to move it over one block.... I don't know if I can be bothered....would anyone notice if I left it?.... probably not..... would I notice if I left it? definitely.... will it drive me crazy? absolutely.... ok... wall removal time..."