Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th May 2011, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9300

Default Event, Fri 20th May 8:30pm AEST - PvP Treasure hunt

Where: Survival Server in the area set aside by Exe for PvP
When: Friday 20th May at 8:30pm AEST for at least one hour.

What: A hunt for chests containing hidden treasures, like rare blocks and items and those from the Nether. Players will be allowed to injure and kill each other (PvP) within the area.

Who: Any person on the TOG Minecraft whitelist, limited to a maximum of 24 players.

The rules will be added to this thread later.

This event may be repeated on another day at a different time to help European and North American players join in. Obsi is also setting one up on the Creative server for the junior players.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 15th May 2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Add Obsi's hunt
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th May 2011, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The rules of the treasure hunt

Aims
  • To find the hidden chests
  • To take the objects within the chests
  • To stay alive
Treasure
  • Treasure will be found in standard single chests.
  • The treasure will be many things, including rare blocks ( e.g. gold, diamonds, lapis lazuli), rare items (e.g. pumpkins), and Nether blocks (i.e. glowstone, netherrack, soul sand).
  • The chests will also contain helpful items like weapons, armour and torches.
  • Each chest will contain a pile of gravel. The number of gravel is the chest's id number, e.g. a chest with 12 gravel is Chest 12. Players are *not* allowed to remove any of this gravel from the chest.
  • Not every chest will contain the same things. Not every chest will be as helpful or rich as each other chest.
  • Chests will be "hidden" using various means
    • Placed in positions that are hard to see, like behind trees.
    • Placed in difficult-to-reach places, natural and man-made
    • Placed in caves
    • Placed in the open.
  • Chests will not be covered in such a way that they cannot be seen. However, some chests may need mining or construction in order to access them.
  • Players are not allowed to destroy, move, cover or make any chests.

Area
  • The area used will be the fenced snowy area set aside by Exekewtable for PvP scenarios and play.
  • Play will start inside the bunker that is halfway along one edge of the area.
  • Players can travel from outside the PvP area to the bunker using the warp command (/warp bunker).
  • Players can only walk, jump or swim within the PvP area. Players are not allowed to travel home (/home), teleport (/tp), warp (/warp) or travel to spawn (/spawn) while inside the PvP area.
  • Players can only leave the PvP area after walking back to the bunker, or by dying. Then they can travel by whatever means they like to store their treasure outside the PvP area. Players can then travel back to the bunker and rejoin the hunt. However, they must have an empty inventory when they rejoin!
  • The area is not well lit. Torches are placed on top of the stone fences and some buildings. Torches will also be used to hint at (but not mark) the location of some chests. Players may not remove or modify any of these torches.
  • Players can place and move any torches they find in chests, gain from other players or construct themselves.
  • Players are allowed to build and destroy any structures (physical or man-made) within the PvP area. The exceptions are:
    • the stone fence marking the edge of the PvP area
    • any part of the bunker and its cacti and steps
    • any buildings in the corners of the the PvP area
These pre-existing buildings are not to be destroyed or altered in any way.
Players
  • Players must start the hunt at the bunker with nothing in their inventory.
  • During the hunt, players are allowed to attack each other.
  • No combat is allowed inside the bunker. No camping (ie. waiting to ambush) near the bunker.
  • Players are only allowed to use weapons and armour they find or craft within the PvP area (or their bare hands)
  • Players can take and use any items dropped by any other player who dies (for whatever reason).
  • Players are allowed to give objects to other players at any time.
  • No pet wolves/dogs are allowed within the PvP area. No wolves are allowed to be tamed during the hunt.
  • Cooperation is allowed, especially when combating monsters. However, players are not allowed to continually play in groups of more than 3 players.

Last edited by Sorontar; 15th May 2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

So I anticipate players either sporadically helping each other or regularly attacking each other. At night time, the monsters are going to be an issue, so players will have to work out how to deal with them.

The other big choice for players will be whether they stay in the PvP area and keep hunting, with the risk they will die and lose everything, or whether they will walk back to the bunker, go home to get rid of everything in their inventory, then return to the bunker and start hunting again. Remember that you can build structures within the PvP area, so you can fortify yourself at night-time.

The plan is to play it for at least one hour but depending on how things go, I might let it go longer. I have included the gravel in the chests as a way that people can record which chests they have found, even if others have got to them first. That is why I ask people not to touch the gravel. If you need dirt or stone for construction, there is plenty you can mine.

Sorontar

Old 15th May 2011, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I assume thats AEST so would be these listed times for the rest of us:

Fixed Time List
Old 15th May 2011, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Thanks Misnik. It is 8:30pm AEST. Have changed the post and thread title.

Old 15th May 2011, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

God bless you people without social lives but being a friday I'll have to pass.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2775

Innocent

Well I will be there with bells on - thanks for getting this going Sor - looks well thought out and should be fun.

Cheers!
Old 15th May 2011, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Rocket View Post
God bless you people without social lives but being a friday I'll have to pass.
What you mean that getting your hands dirty and killing monsters isn't what you normally do with your friends for a lark? What is today's society coming too? Back in my day .....

Old 15th May 2011, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Wish I could join you, have fun! Hopefully we can do something like this the the NA folk.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The PVP area we will be using is out-of-bounds until the hunt. I must have time to prepare your torment <evil laughter>

When the maps are next updated, a sign marking the location of the bunker will be visible.

Sorontar