Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st June 2011, 09:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25567

Amused

Tip: Beds do something special in the Nether!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st June 2011, 10:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Sorantar, did you let slip to Bazz that stone, iron and diamond tools/weapons wouldn't be available any more, in order to ramp up the survival difficulty?
I thought we just liked Things of Stone and Wood, and that you had to sing appropriate songs when mining.

Sorontar
ps. Updating now. Will announce when finished.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Survival Server is open for business with version 1.6.6.

Considering the local time here, expect the Creative later in the week, not tonight.

Thanks for your work on it Sorontar.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
Tip: Beds do something special in the Nether!
They explode?... I placed one, clicked on it and it blew up, setting me and the surrounds on fire.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Ah, but the pigmen soon took your mind off the exploding bed didn't they.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8391 TOG Silver Level Supporter

That's some pretty unhospitable beds :-/

Anyway after some experimentation with portals I'd like to request a relaxation in the portal rules, namely, if you already have a portal topside, you should be allowed to construct a portal in the nether that it will connect to.

For example, currently a distance as far as 1024 blocks from 0, 0 in the upper world will translate to the 0, 0 portal in the nether. This makes it pretty hard to make a "shortcut" in the nether if the distance topside is less than 1024. If one could put up a portal in the nether though, then the game would default to the closest portal, which would be the one you constructed and everything will work much better. As long as you don't do anything stupid, you won't break any current portal connections either.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

yup looks like may need to alter it slightly.

Even my far portal links to portal 0,0. looking on the map its roughly 1000 blocks away so still in the initial zone.

Just to make sure it wasn't an issue with it be a preexisting portal I dismantled it and put it back together a couple blocks across the room, and it still linked to 0,0.

In theory I can push it over ~100blocks and be well outside the 1024 zone. Will try that next if time allows.

edit: though looking @F3 portal 0,0 is at 0/-1 and mine was at -201/-1030 . guess need to keep trying

Last edited by Misnik; 22nd June 2011 at 03:47 AM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

The portal it hates me. Well I think the gast did actually

Moved my portal to next island to be safe. Worked like a charm. Even dropped me in between two large lava lakes. woot.

But while boxing it in a gast blew the portal door closed. So had to reignite it. this is where I started to have problems.

My old portal normal world connects here fine still. But the nether portal does not. It created a new portal @ -793/71/-1994 Well away from everyone. So I knocked a block out and closed it. Went back to my old portal seemed fine. stepped back out to the normal world again and it created a new exit in a random cave @ -796/27/-1928.

So my outer portal works as intended, but nether portal doesn't want to exit to it anymore.
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8391 TOG Silver Level Supporter

What I think happens:

When you created your first portal in the normal world, the game looked for a location to put a portal at in the nether. Unfortunately there was a lava lake in the way and the portal had to be moved a bit. All fine so far.

However when travelling back, the distance from the expected location in the normal world (being multiplied 8 times), was too large to link back with your original portal, and a new one had to be made. This won't change no matter how many times you destroy the portal that appears in the normal world.

TL;DR: nether portal got offset due to lava lake, offset proved to be too large to link to original gate when travelling from nether to normal world.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 93

Cheerful

Great work on the update all involved, cant wait to jump in tonight to have a play. Will stay away from portals for a while though until i understand them better
MTDOS is offline   Reply With Quote