Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st August 2011, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Server Maps being updated tonight

Just a heads up that I'm in the process of getting the rendering of the server maps to run completely on the server itself, rather than the old process of doing them offline. Exe's kindly heped by installing the necessary OS packages.

As a result, you may find the maps do not display correctly tonight. All should be right in about 2-3 hours once the initial production render on each world has completed.

Future renders should be fairly seemless as they use a cache and only update changed tiles. The plan is to schedule them to run regularly without requiring any manual intervention.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st August 2011, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 46

Relaxed

That sounds awesome. I sort of wish it could be one of those interactive maps like I have seen before though where you could see who all is currently online at the time, could give them a shout out before going online yourself, and could see their movements in real-time. Meaning you could see them moving around on the map as they were moving around in the game. It was cool.

Just a thought. :>

~Debra
WebDebSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9278

Yes, they would be nice, but given previous troubles we have had with mapping software and our worlds, and the fact that we are once again relying on the generosity of Exe and his machines to access these maps, I think we will just stay with what we have.

Also, some people don't like others knowing where they are. That is why that sort of information is only available to Admins at present.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Initial render for the creative server is taking quite a bit longer than I'd anticipated, so it may be down for another couple of hours. The Survival map render has however completed.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

Cheers Thermal.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25537

Amused

Big Bro's watching you!

*crawls back into his underground cavern*

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post

Also, some people don't like others knowing where they are. That is why that sort of information is only available to Admins at present.
That is pretty silly, but I guess I can understand it. I have known some that wished to keep their where-abouts secretive as well.

~Debra
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDebSpider View Post
That is pretty silly, but I guess I can understand it. I have known some that wished to keep their where-abouts secretive as well.
Well, I for one was trying to keep Dr Moriarty's Plan C secret whilst I was working on it. Generally I had to /home before I logged out so that any new map didn't show where I had been working. That didn't always work.

Others have been known to have secret chambers etc. For while, warp points were shown on the map for Creative. We had to have a way of distinguishing between 'secret' warp points and non-secret ones. Now, the warp mod we use has private and public warps, and the mapping program can show certain signs, so we don't need to make such a distinction. People can use the signs to tell us about the main places of interest and players can use /warp search TERM to search for a suitable public warp.

Sorontar

Old 2nd August 2011, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Relaxed

Yeah, understandable. *tapping finger to chin*. Hmmmmmmm.......isn't most places on here pretty secretive? For the most part anyway. Never mind, don't mind me.....it is getting sort of late over here for me, and I have to be up in 7 hours. Gonna get off my device before it takes over....... As the iPad says "muhahahahahahahahaha....never, I will never let you go."

Yeah, its time for sleep. Too silly even for me.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The mapping is now set to occur weekly. As indicated by the times on the index page TOG Minecraft Server Maps , it is done on early Sunday morning. It is now fully automated so if you spot any hiccups, please alert the admins.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 22nd August 2011 at 12:09 PM.