Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd September 2011, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9278

Default What do you want near the Peaceful spawn point?

On Creative, we quickly started a spawn village. It has grown over the last (almost) year (anniversary on 22nd Sept). The existing village has
  • a tavern of items for newcomers
  • a newcomer's mine
  • paths and streetlights
  • simple planning rules (10x10 single-storey homes)
  • small townsquare
  • a few larger community buildings (like the library)
  • the start of two train stations
  • a canal
  • a beachfront
  • a pier
  • a temple of nether portals
So what would you want for the new Peaceful spawn village? Do you want a spawn village at all?

Do you want one person to manage the village - a mayor or city engineer of sorts? Do you want different construction planning rules?

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 3rd September 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd September 2011, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5789 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

oooh sewer system (I shall be builing one in my place hehehe)
and I would say a city hall, somehting grand like, that was we can have meetings. is it ok to be on both servers? lol
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 46

Relaxed

I like the idea of a the tavern or an "Outfitter house" where a person can get the basics and maybe a bit extra at say a warehouse where they can get supplies. Maybe a grocery store where a person can get food stuffs. IDK.... I like going to the forum and to the server(s) but need more hours in the day.... Else to get ahead on my homework, and housework to where I can justify playing and not studying.

I really miss the servers and everyone.

~Debra
WebDebSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
is it ok to be on both servers? lol
Heh, I have been on multiple servers with multiple logins when testing stuff. As long as you don't try to have 100 clones of yourself, there is no issues.

I don't know how you intend to play both yous at the same time though. But no-one is expected to restrict themselves to only one world. In the current Creative, a number of us have also built in multiple areas. The initial Peaceful world won't be terribly large for various reasons, but there should be plenty of space for everyone.

Sorontar

Old 3rd September 2011, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2977

Grumpy

Coming on to the current server, I really liked the spawn village. It gives the sense that you're involved in a community project, even if no-one else is on the server when you log in.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

I'd like to see the new spawn village be somewhat organised from the start.... like how we did the first one. I think when we start out, we need to flatten the land out to make it suitable for housing (having tiers is fine, but we need fairly flat land) and we need to set aside a large space close to the spawn point for a town hall and a large space for a rail station ... so we have space for those as we build around it. Set out some roads, and then have people build their houses.

I like the tavern... every village needs one A separate supplies building ("Outfitter house" is cool) to house basic supplies for people to take. Unfortunately food isn't really useful in "Sanctuary", so a grocery store has limited use, but hey, it's cool, and NAM has a bakery on creative So I would like to see people create little shops and things in the village.

I think we need the noticeboard that's always been cool. Maybe a community garden (for growing wheat and reeds) If we can build a nice garden or something around the actual spawn point, so you spawn somewhere nice, not just on a footpath or beside a beach or something, and then the town can spread out from that point. So the spawning point is the centre of the town

I do agree with the post in the other thread about increasing spawn village lot sizes... I think we could go to 15x15 lot size (so if you want a fence, that is on the 15x15 border and your house fits inside) with a 10 block height restriction. That would allow for double story while keeping the houses small enough to be fairly uniform

I'd like to also submit some planning code regulations - you can't build within 3 blocks from the border of someone elses property nor within 3 blocks from a path (just so it's not so cramped)... and try to keep your abode fitting within the "village" sort of theme (eg no houses built from diamond blocks), and if you build below-ground, you need to stay within your allocated lot size.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Unfortunately food isn't really useful in "Sanctuary", so a grocery store has limited use, but hey, it's cool, and NAM has a bakery on creative So I would like to see people create little shops and things in the village.
The personal Hunger or Food attribute will be a big unknown for the Survival mode. I am not sure whether we can turn it off or slow its reduction down. Therefore, until we get a mod or make some other decision, Sanctuary will have an occasioanl need for food, in order to stop people losing health due to starvation.

Quote:
if you build below-ground, you need to stay within your allocated lot size.
Yes, in Sanctuary, I personally think the spawn village should not allow tunnelling or mining outside of your designated landspace. Planned community tunnels should be the only ones allowed. Unlike Frontier, you should not need tunnels to survive. If you want tunnels, claim land outside the village space.

Sorontar

Old 4th September 2011, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

I agree with Obsi, orginized from the start. But does it need to be totally flat? In reality poeple often build villages in hilly environment (like rio de janeiro), there a few cities that are flat except New York. As you probably know I'm a fan of mountains and my hope is that there at least are some hills around or nearby. If the village needs to grow, then bring the shovel =) That is my only wish. I wish it cozy and not just a bunch of roads in a random place with no waterfalls or caves..

This place is not ideal for a spawn village (too much hills) but it's an example of a nice environment i found yesterday on creative server, probably my last visit:

joohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 04:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8368 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yes I agree, I think a hilly area gives a more interesting city structure
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Hills would give for more interesting basement doors