Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th February 2012, 11:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Division Captain
Survivalist Games (Destiny PS4 Leader)
Dangerous - Post: 875 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
The upside down half blocks are interesting as they essentially mean you'll be able to build full height blocks at half the height offset of normal blocks (if you combine a half block and an upside down half block).
Yeah and mobs shouldn't spawn on them, which means I may redo all the floors of my hotel to suit (that will take awhile)
AdmiralTriggerH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th February 2012, 11:55 AM   #42 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9298

Quote:
The upside down half blocks are interesting as they essentially mean you'll be able to build full height blocks at half the height offset of normal blocks (if you combine a half block and an upside down half block).
Yes, if each one is in a different full block space. This will probably be the only way you can combine two different halfblocks of different materials. It won't work if you try the same trick in the same full block space. And you probably won't be able to put things like redstone dust under an upsidedown half block.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 07:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5851 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

BTW I never appreciated the new height of the world unti I just built a Tower, on Far render, I cannot see the earth below me lol
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 10:33 AM   #44 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The latest snapshot is a preview of Minecraft 1.2 (http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/minecraft-1-2-preview/):

The plan is to release 1.2 tommorrow.

Sorontar

Old 1st March 2012, 10:36 AM   #45 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2775

Innocent

And wait for mods to catch up?
Old 1st March 2012, 10:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
And wait for mods to catch up?
Yep, as per usual, but there will have to be decisions made by the Division and the admin team about how to handle things like the revamped villages and accommodate for jungles and any other changes. I don't think they will be hard decisions but I'll start threads about them in the next few days so we can discuss them while we wait.

Sorontar

Old 31st March 2012, 12:37 AM   #47 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Another snapshot is out. This is basically what will be in MC 1.2.5 but they are giving Bukkit etc a bit of an advance warning. 1.2.5 will be release next Wednesday.

Minecraft 1.2.5 Prerelease

Quote:
Unfortunately the 1.2.4 patch included a severe crash bug in the world generator, so we feel itís necessary to officially patch the game again. We are aware that many of you use modded clients or play on the bukkit server implementation, and that patches causes a lot of overhead for you. Neither are officially supported of course, but itís not in our interest to make it hard for people to play the game. The best compromise we could come up with was to make a pre-release of 1.2.5 today, and then update the game ďfor realĒ a few days later. This will give both modders and bukkit a few days to prepare for the release.
  • Client download: JAR
  • Server download: JAR or EXE
The above article also briefly discusses the two day design meeting the entire MC team had about the Mod API.

It has a huge lists of changes/fixes, but some are:
  • Made cats less eager to sit on things
  • Made cats less patient
  • Fixed world generation failing under certain circumstances
  • Removed all ghost entities under the command of Lord Herobrine

Sorontar

Old 31st March 2012, 12:48 AM   #48 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8391 TOG Silver Level Supporter

They should have a release system like:
Developer release.
Public release.

Public release would always be two weeks after the developer release, and any public information, release notes, automated client patching and so forth would not be available until the public release. That way less people would know about the release beforehand and it would seem like everything happens faster.

This way Bukkit would have the first week to fix their release version, and mod developers the second week after Bukkit is done. Then as the release goes live everything is already updated.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 01:15 AM   #49 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
This way Bukkit would have the first week to fix their release version, and mod developers the second week after Bukkit is done. Then as the release goes live everything is already updated.
There are a few problems with that. For a start, Mojang are impatient and they won't want to release a version that has been sitting there doing nothing for 2 weeks. 4-5 days they can "wait" but not 2 weeks.

Secondly, Bukkit too is an on-going project and it has been shown that yes, they can "update" to the new code within a day, but their testing and fixing takes at least 2 weeks before they release a RB. Mods then can take another 2 weeks depending on how much Bukkit has changed since the last Bukkit RB. While Bukkit too could restrict itself to just update its RBs, not its dev versions, that is not their nature.

It is unfortunate but with the IP restrictions that Mojang quite fairly places on its code, they can't really work well with outsiders (even if some of them are now insiders).

Sorontar

Old 13th April 2012, 11:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Another snapshot has been released (Minecraft Snapshot 12w15a)
Just to be awkward, this is what Mojang says about the changes that are included:
Quote:
@dinnerbone requested to keep the changelog secret, so blame him for this:
  • Censored
  • Censored
  • Censored
  • Some improvements
Dinnerbone himself said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://twitter.com/#!/Dinnerbone/status/190461684563980288
I have a feeling that when one of the features gets discovered, people will simultaneously explode with joy and implode with anger.

Well if you really must know the answer to your questions I'll tell you, but I only have 160 chars to work here. The secret f-
BeeboxVox found one of them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://twitter.com/#!/BebopVox/status/190499430464634880
YES! Dispensers now put carts on tracks and boats in water!!! Brilliant job Bukkit Mojang team!

Last edited by Sorontar; 13th April 2012 at 11:54 PM.