Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th January 2012, 08:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Ohh

That happens to me in steam... I think I'm taking heaps of cool screenies, only to find they haven't worked (though I think I've narrowed down the problem to the fact that if I browse the screenshot folder with paint shop pro, it sticks a file in there, and steam then won't write to that folder... since deleting that file makes screenshots work again)

Last edited by Obsi; 27th January 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th January 2012, 08:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9300

I think that a lot of good ideas have been given on how to improve this. They include:
  • Having a huge supply of gold and iron armour at the respective bases, so the armour is always worn and is the method of team identification.
  • Giving a large supply of identical weapons at either base (but I would put better weapons hidden in the villages).
  • Allowing both teams to have iron, but no armour can be made from it.
The other issues were simple misunderstandings.

Firstly, the building was supposed to be restricted to on the bedrock base. Terraforming, building or mining the dirt outside the bases was not intended. Even I made a mistake to that when I started the entrance to the Law fort. Obsi's new design should hopefully fix that.

The aim was to have the teams make use of the resources in the villages, e.g the food and anything else found. We didn't have to mine or break the village, just find the chests.

The dropping/leaving of forbidden items was only meant for the metals (iron and gold), I think. Other items like arrows and food were fine as spoils. So that should not have held up any play. The larger supplies of armour and equal weapons should remove the need for this aspect of the scenario.

Communication was an issue. I wanted to talk to the Law team about how I thought the fort should be made, but couldn't speak to all of them privately, and not all were on Mumble. I might have to see whether it is worth getting a different chat plugin that can speak within groups, but it might be awkward to set up and would only be used for this sort of event.

The mobs I liked. They made night-time the prime time to sneak up on the enemy, but also the riskiest time. I only got into the Kelly fort after travelling via night from Law to our village to the Kelly village and waiting inside the rear village gate till dawn. Then I rushed over and tried to find my way in.

So I think it went very well for a first go. We know what worked and what didn't work. For the first team combat on the TOG servers, I think it was a success.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 10:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 695

Yeehaw

Teamspeak has whisper lists that are pretty easy to setup on the fly. We could get an admin to make us a custom channel that will simply disappear when we are finished with it. This way you can all be in the same channel and have 2 keys to talk, one to everyone and one just for your team.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The problem is that not everyone uses Teamspeak or Mumble. Text is a default system that is there so I would think that would be the better option.

There are always unused Mumble channels on the server volunteered by Solutions First. I suspect we can always "borrow" them for a couple of hours if need be.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 30th January 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: thing-> think
Old 30th January 2012, 01:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused

One thing we could do with voice comms is just have separate channels during the build phase, and then all join the main channel for the game itself so it is more social.

Those who don't have a mic, can probably still listen in mumble, and even post text messages in it.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 02:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
One thing we could do with voice comms is just have separate channels during the build phase, and then all join the main channel for the game itself so it is more social.

Those who don't have a mic, can probably still listen in mumble, and even post text messages in it.
Both very good points!

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 05:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Good point. I might have to add that to the Members sticky about Mumble.

Sorontar

Old 31st January 2012, 02:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Hmmm. I'll have to try mumble one of these days (listening only). The only time I have to play is when my son is sleeping, and his room is too close to the office, so speaking is out for me.