Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th January 2012, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9300

The problem with Bukkit is always a matter of process. They have their own internal development processes, but ultimately people put more trust in the Recommended Builds than the dev builds. The dev builds aren't totally tested. The RBs are (ish). That is why people like me are pushing them to release a new RB that we can be sure they themselves have extensively tested, rather than just relying on what users say worked or didn't work. So many times have I seen users say something was wrong, then later admit that they had the wrong Bukkit version or were using a plugin they didn't realise they had (:/ which is a bit hard to do in Bukkit). That is why I much prefer the RBs. It is also the RBs that the plugin devs use to test and update their plugins against.

So hopefully there will an RB with the fixes for these bugs this week. If not, we may have to chance it and use a dev build.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th January 2012, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Oh, I wasn't advocatating using the dev build. Just stating that since they have a dev build that fixes the issue and are considering using it as a candidate for a sooner rather than later release build, we should probably just wait for that RB.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2241

Relaxed

i agree with Sor .. lets wait, im sure it will be fixed soon
Old 30th January 2012, 06:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5853 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

On topic

I agree lets wait

On a slightly dif topic

tell me is there a bug with water/lava flow on our servers currently cause ever since I built my lava slow (and I have had similar issues with water)

it is like the air blocks are stopping it from flowing, there is no hole under the lava, there was once but not for a while, I have removed and replaced the lava so I dunno

DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 07:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2991

Grumpy

Yeah, lava's been a bit... odd. I find that sometimes picking up the source block and putting it back down fixes things.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

A new bug-fixing RB is out so I guess I'll be testing tonight

Bug fix for CraftBukkit 1.1-R1 now available! | Bukkit Forums
Recommended Build: 1.1-R2 | Bukkit Forums

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 30th January 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

The flow mechanic is a little odd yes. It will always start flowing to the closest downward edge rather than out. Sometimes it gets odd behavior. At times as well the direction I placed the lava from seems to affect the flow on some cases.

It will also feed into other lava and raise the lava level even if the other lava is diagonal behind another wall. Using that can often raise your appeared lava with less buckets. All depends on the look going for.

My biggest issue usually is bucket lag. Where it thinks it picked up lava but really didn't. Have to click on every bucket n my inventory before I walk away to make sure it really has lava.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

yeah I've noticed water behaves a bit weirdly sometimes like that too... doesn't spread like it should

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 03:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lol, now Bukkit is saying that there is a major bug that needs fixing in their bugfix. I guess we still need to wait.

Sorontar

Old 30th January 2012, 10:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Okay, a third RB for 1.1 is out, I have tested on Sanctuary and it is looking good, but I'll wait a day before permanently implementing it, just in case there are any more problems.

However, I must warn you. Some of you are going to have a white surprise waiting when you visit your sites on Sanctuary. Because one of the changes that is in 1.1 is snow on various previously non-snowed biomes. I travelled around all the warp points (including the private ones folks - admin privilege) and set off the weather, so if you visit your places on Sanctuary, you will be able to see if there will soon be some snow. I'm afraid Deep that your castle is going to be covered in it. Good English weather.

I'm afraid that there is nothing we can do about it. It really is a fix, not a bug, that we knew was coming, but never knew where it would hit. Anyway, if you feel you need to add a glass ceiling or something, you have a day or so before I finalise the switch to 1.1.

Sorontar
ps. Just to make things clear. Sanctuary now does not have snow falling on new areas as it is back to Bukkit for 1.0, not 1.1. But when testing, I did get snow to fall on new areas and the snow will still be there. If I didn't go near a chunk, it won't have had the snowfall/rainfall, so I haven't tested all parts of Sanctuary.

Last edited by Sorontar; 30th January 2012 at 11:00 PM.