Old 11th February 2012, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Default economy

Not going so far as to suggest we should have one, but wondered what folks thoughts were on the subject ?

Have you played on servers with them? After living on Frontier I had a stroll around Sanctuary and saw lots of peoples "shops" wich I thought was really neat, would be cool if instead of trading/giving stuff away there was a currency..
Also alot of posts of late have had people short on stuff, while others had lots.
I know its all how the game plays, but just got me interested. .
More of a musing on the subject than anything really, interested in others experience with and thoughts on,

Could get some gambling done in Admiral's hotel too
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th February 2012, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

I think that an active bartering/monetary system would be a great idea. Bartering would probably be the way to go, but rare things such as diamonds might make a good intermediary.

I know that I need more redstone to complete my gate, and would be willing to trade diamonds, but. I really only have three of those to spare right now.
Old 11th February 2012, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8367 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I've been thinking about it as well, but came to the conclusion that a pure bartering system is probably sufficient for now. Different commodities have different value for people. Maybe I need slime and have lots of diamond where someone else needs diamond but has a lot of gold, and so on. Certain items will probably always be in short supply, but someone with even a little of something they don't need tend to value it low.

Trying to centralize the value of commodities will probably be hard due to this. Having person to person bartering is probably the method most people will be happy about, although this somewhat prohibits shops and banks.

If a lot of people need to trade stuff, perhaps we should have a sub-forum for that? Like you make a post indicating what you need and some different items you're willing to pay for it, and then someone who thinks it's acceptable make the trade.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

We have asked about an economy in previous polls and surveys. Each time, the majority of people didn't support it being formalised in any way. As DA says, what is valuable for one person is not valuable for others. Also, the continually changing nature of Minecraft versions means that there cannot be any one item that can be regarded as coinage (e.g look at the history of gold, gold nuggets, golden apples). It would require a mod. I think that we can put up with bartering for now. If as DA said, we get enough that it starts to need subforum, then we may reconsider this.

Sorontar
ps. The NPCs may eventually be an additional source of items.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft

All valid points.

I was thinking of maybe something like a bulletin board as opposed to a forum?
Frontier is the only place that barter is really necessary, perhaps we could have a board like the one in spawn when you first enter and read the rules/guidelines that stuff..
It could be in the same area so players could warp there, all could read and access it easily, if we made just a wall out of something bright or eye-catching, then players could put up and take down their own signs of what people wanted or had surplus of and were willing to trade for, basically like advertising in a newspaper or on a wall at the shopping centre. I'd hope and am pretty confident that the messages would't be griefed or altered and deals could be made through /tells or PMs just use the board and signs to advertise. Taking down your sign when deals are made.
It's really the same as posting on the forums, but keeps it in-game, making the world feel abit more " alive "

Old 11th February 2012, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

Certainly worth a try. Perhaps moving all the furnaces by the stairs near the spawn exits and replacing that with a noticeboard.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft

Moved them tonight.

Just put up a big white wall where they were, with a chest with signs in it and some signs on the wall and floor letting people know what its for/about.

We'll see how it gos, the furnace wall is moved prettymuch opposite and all stacked together. (Next to the area with everyones chests, opposite the wheat farm)
Didn't want to alter anything.
May add some more sings around the paths/spawn area just to let people know its there. .

Easy enough to replace it all if it doesn't see use.
Old 12th February 2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused

The main problem with only an in-game bartering system is I am not going to travel to spawn to look at it unless I need something, I may have stuff I would give away happily, but I'm not travelling to spawn weekly/daily to view.

I would happily check a forum thread pretty regularly though.

And, in general, I am against any official form of bartering/trading. More rules = less fun = less creative
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8367 TOG Silver Level Supporter

But if we create a subway system it might even be fun to travel to spawn
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I think a bulletin board would be nice. It lets those who want to help with their surplus find those in different play times that might like what they have. Doesn't even have to be barter if the specific person doesn't want.

As far as travel etc goes I do prefer real travel systems like roads and subways. But we do have /tp spawn and /tp home. So its little to no trouble at all to just pop in see if someone has what you need, or see if you can unload real quick.