Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th May 2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297
 Sorontar's Avatar

Default Minecraft is 3 years old

Minecraft is 3 years old!

Here is Notch's early video of him of him traversing around in what would eventually become Minecraft. His text comments are spread through the video. The video was uploaded May 13, 2009.



Changed a bit, hey? What do you think were the greatest additions to the game? What would you regard as the best (or worst) game design decisions?

Sorontar
__________________

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th May 2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318
 marvelmanic's Avatar

Lurking
Default

The End was the one change that really disappointed me.

I always loved the open endedness world. But to create a "end" irritated me.

I still have not went to it.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5849 TOG Platinum Level Supporter
 DarkDuck's Avatar

Lurking
Default

Likes: the mobs skills, upside down stairs
Dislike: the End Dragon, thankgod he only appears in the end
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1745
 Rahze's Avatar

Innocent
Default

Happy Birthday Minecraft!

Watch out for the creepers disguised as candles and the cake that triggers DOOM!
__________________
Actively playing: FFXIV | GW2 | maybe anything
FFXIV: Vierane Savigny, Elezen Arcanist | 1.0 Rahze Tessaro

GW2: Rahze.6817 | Battle.net Rahze#1815
{Retired}: WoW: Rahze Troll Shaman ~ Kael'thas | TERA: Rahze Elven Priest
Aion: Sherahz & Chanene, Asmodian Chanter & "Tog Bank Assistant ~ Nezekan
FFXI: Sherahz, Mithra RDM ~ Pandemonium
Rahze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297
 Sorontar's Avatar

Default

I admit the End was a bit of a failure in that while there was lots of effort to get there, and the killing the dragon is not simple, there is little reward. And the text at the ending is too vague for the average player - children.

I think that multiplayer was the greatest addition and what helped make it so popular, even though it wasn't designed very well. The Creative mode assists it also but it has survived without it.

I wish the Skylands dimension had been kept, and I think the Nether should be made harder, e.g. make zombie pigman always fight you and/or make them lava-proof. Imagine turning around and suddenly finding a raging pigman rising out of the lava!

Sorontar
__________________

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 318
 marvelmanic's Avatar

Lurking
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I admit the End was a bit of a failure in that while there was lots of effort to get there, and the killing the dragon is not simple, there is little reward. And the text at the ending is too vague for the average player - children.

I think that multiplayer was the greatest addition and what helped make it so popular, even though it wasn't designed very well. The Creative mode assists it also but it has survived without it.

I wish the Skylands dimension had been kept, and I think the Nether should be made harder, e.g. make zombie pigman always fight you and/or make them lava-proof. Imagine turning around and suddenly finding a raging pigman rising out of the lava!

Sorontar

From what I have read recently, the "Sky Dimension" is still on the table to be added in the future.
You are supposed to be able to reach it by falling asleep.
marvelmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297
 Sorontar's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelmanic View Post
From what I have read recently, the "Sky Dimension" is still on the table to be added in the future.
You are supposed to be able to reach it by falling asleep.
The Sky dimension was in the code but not implemented. The Skylands mod used it. Then Notch changed it into the End and the mod crashed.

And yes, one of the early suggestions was that perhaps any future Sky dimension could have a chance of being visited by players if they slept.

Sorontar
__________________

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 56

Cool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelmanic View Post
The End was the one change that really disappointed me.

I always loved the open endedness world. But to create a "end" irritated me.

I still have not went to it.
I am with you on this, I don't bother with the End and I am in possession of a stronghold and End portal.
BigMik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1251

Amused
Default

Redstone, without a doubt is the single biggest attraction in minecraft, it is what brings the game to life. I doubt I would have maintained interest this long without it.

Pure genius!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8387 TOG Silver Level Supporter
 DaedalusAlpha's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Redstone, without a doubt is the single biggest attraction in minecraft, it is what brings the game to life. I doubt I would have maintained interest this long without it.

Pure genius!
Yeah I agree with that, also with the addition of pistons and powered rails.
__________________
EVE Online characters:
Daedalus II
ex-CEO TOGOA, Daedalus III slave of Daedalus II
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer


"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0