Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st May 2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 495

Default "What's my light level" mod

Recently i found this mod called whats my light level.
What's My Light Level - Bukkit

In short it gives a display of current light level in upper right hand corner. I would like to request a vote to have this added to approved mod's list. Or a discussion on the matter thanx
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st May 2012, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297

Perhaps you could explain what benefit you see in using this client mod. Do you feel that it lessens the risk of Survival mode or adds to the capability of Creative mode? How does anyone else feel about this mod?

And we don't do votes on mods. Mods are sanctioned on the basis of the spirit of our worlds, not democracy. Everyone has their say, then it is down to the admin crew to discuss it. If need be, having heard all arguments, as DC I have the final say on whether it is to be regarded as suitable or not.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 602

It slightly lessens the risk of survival mode, as it shows the light level of whatever square you are standing on. Allows you to walk through your whole area and make sure you didn't have a torch off a bit and allow for stuff to spawn in your house.
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft

For me this mod doesnt change the risk anymore than pressing F3 already does since this basically uses the same info that can be found on the debug screen. The benefits from this mod are in farm creations and as warmonger said make sure your area is lit up against monsters. This mod displays it in the top left so it is much more convinient than having to walk around in debug mode

And thank you Sor on explaining the process to me.
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

I don't use any mods, so I'm not sure if I would be bothered to install it or not. I don't think that it would reduce my risk at all, since I generally just spam so many torches around that there isn't any chance of anything spawning.

That being said, using it might lower my use of torches if I can determine that I've been using too many, but to me, torches are cheap as I harvest 3-4 stack of wood every time I play to make all of the charcoal and wood that I need for my project, so that is only a minor advantage.

-Brew
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft

As for torch placement i find that on ground level every 8x8 will give me enough light as to not spawn any monsters, a lvl 8 light level in middile of the 8x8 square. Example:
TxxxxxxT
xxxxxxxx
xxx99xxx
xx9889xx
xx9889xx
xxx99xxx
xxxxxxxx
TxxxxxxT

if you place them 1 block up from floor then those middile 8's will be 7's and enough for monsters to spawn. Hope that helped those who dont want to use a mod
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 617

Yeah, I was trying to figure out the best placement early on, and decided that the best pattern may actually be one with every other row offset to the center of the torches of the prior row, but I decided that I don't know enough about the calculations used to do a good job and I gave up. I tend to place my torches every 5 now, since I always have plenty.

I suppose if I really wanted to play with the study, I could use the mod in a single player world to try and design and test an optimal setup. If I ever find the time to get around to it, that is. Honestly, I don't know that I would install it if it were approved since I don't worry about fully lighting caves when exploring, and I stick to an overuse in my project.

I personally wouldn't have issues with others using it in any case since the only time that it gives any advantage is for people building to protect their works against creepers, and that would save me embarassment and re-build time if I am visiting their work and get it blown up.....which happened to me at the Spleef arena.....darn cats didn't even lift a paw to help keep the creeper back.

As for caving and exploring, no one is going to take the time and resources to light the entire area for a short pass through, and when travelling outside, I can pretty much tell when it has gotten dark enough for things to spawn without any help at all.

-Brew
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft

Yeah i currently do them around every 5 spaces, incase a accidental torch outing lol.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5849 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

The main use i see is helping set up a mushroomfarm apart from that mobs are eady so i see this aiding farming but not taking away from gameplat.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft

Id like to add that this is client side only mod. Nothing needs to be added to the server or anything like that, so no need to worry about it being updated everytime MC is.