Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st July 2012, 05:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 495

sounds like a plan
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd July 2012, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

Would prefer to make our own events.

Here is an awesome map we could use as a venue though, the Celebrity Hunger Games 2 map
(yes it's my job to promote TOG hunger games...lol)

Download it and have a run around the city.

The Survival Games 2 Minecraft Project

Even includes an electronic countdown timer we could use for events.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 23rd July 2012 at 01:36 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9300

I found another old map that actually looks better as a backup than the Yogscast one - [Multi/Game/Adv] Criswelympics 2011.05 Beta - Minecraft Forum . I'll elaborate more on what "sports" it offers when I write a thread on the sports later. I am yet to test them as the map was created early last year.

Sorontar

ps. the commentator of the HG vid is mad!

Last edited by Sorontar; 23rd July 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

One question though. If we start building our own TOGlympics world next week, would you want an empty flat world, a terrained empty world or a constructed terrained world (like what Henri suggested)?

Flat will make it easy to build without having to clear space.
Terrained will help for events like boat races and give depth to the world (flat starts with 5 blocks worth of dirt).
Constructed terrained gives you "atmosphere" and streets already constructed.

Sorontar

Old 23rd July 2012, 02:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

A pre-made world will likely generate empty biomes around the build for us anyway, so mainly a choice between superflat and terrained.

Personally would enjoy either option....

Superflat will be good for building events quickly.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 23rd July 2012 at 02:12 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 11:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

How many poll options can we have? maybe make a poll or 2, and we can pick the most poplar (howevermany) events people like - then we know what arenas to build.

I'm presuming the event is going to take place on a new server we put up while we're waiting for the new update to be completed? So we'll likely have a couple of weeks to build it, so we shouldn't have any problem there.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 11:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The idea is:

New world to replace Sanctuary for a couple of weeks.

One week to build so we can run it during the Olympics.

One weekend to run organised games.
Rest of the Olympics to muck around amongst yourselves whenever you want.

The world will then be made publicly available for download.

As to which events will be added, that will depend on what is built. If you want to race on a kayak course, then during the build week, you need to organise people to make one (or make one yourself). If you want to do other events, then they will need to be run.

On this Friday night or Saturday morning, I will set up the new world. I intend to make it like Sanctuary, so you can be in Creative or Survival mode during the build week. Then if need be, we can reset everyone to Survival mode only during the events (so no cheating ). I might also add WorldEdit for use by Mods and Admins (though I don't think it will help much except in speeding up the construction of regular shapes like cylinders).

I am also arranging with Ulric so that we can get more articles on the homepage. I want an article on the TOGlympics to be one of them (as well as ones on Spleef and Hunger Games and Wild West and anything else). I am looking for volunteers TOGlympics correspondents to help record/screenshot the build week and the events. I might shift to nightly maps for the TOGlympics world so we can see the progress better.

Sorontar

Old 26th July 2012, 11:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Having looked at our two example maps from last year, the Yog-Olympics and Criswelympics, I am thinking that a circular path would be most appropriate. That way, we can make statues or award structures in the middle and place the events on the outside. At a spawn point, we can make a set of signs to indicate what events are being built/available and which direction they are. If the loop path isn't large enough, we can make some additional paths off.

I think a multiterrain world with large biomes might be best. I will see what I can generate with the 1.3 snapshots, then just reuse it in 1.2. I think we would want large flattish plains with mountains nearby so we can easily set any events requiring height, e.g. boat races, cross country running.

Sorontar