Old 23rd July 2012, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9298

Default TOGlympics sports

There are many sports we could set up for the TOGlympics. Some can be "similar" to the real Olympics. Others can be more unique to Minecraft. I'll list them first, then explain them in subsequent posts.

Tell me which ones are your favourites.
Suggest any new ones you can think of.

Traditional sports
  • running - track
  • running - relay
  • running - crosscountry
  • hurdles
  • long jump
  • shotput
  • swimming - individual
  • swimming - relay
  • boxing
  • fencing
  • archery
  • single kayaking
  • single rowing
  • golf
  • waterpolo

Minecraft sports
  • spleef
  • fire spleef
  • villager tennis
  • precision diving
  • archery diving
  • cart race
  • sumo balancing
  • wall climbing
  • obstacle course
  • switch swimming
  • fowl basketball
  • snow netball
  • fowl polo
  • tower destruction
  • mob arena
  • farm fishing
  • redpin bowling
  • tnt-trampoline
  • art critic
  • fowl hockey

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd July 2012, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Traditional sports
  • running - track: run round an oval track
  • running - relay: run round an oval track, then throw your coloured block or torch to a relay teammate
  • running - crosscountry: race across terrain along a path marked by a torches. No blocks should need to be placed or removed
  • hurdles: run along a straight track, "jumping" over single block hurdles
  • long jump: run and jump over pressure pads
  • shotput: throw snowballs
  • swimming - individual: swim the length of a pool and press a button or lever
  • swimming - relay: swim the length of a pool and press a button or lever to open the gate for a relay teammate
  • boxing: hand-to-hand combat in an arena (like in the Wild West tent)
  • fencing: sword fighting on a thin rectangle floor
  • archery: fire arrows at a coloured target
  • single kayaking: steer a boat through turbulent water
  • single rowing: steer a boat through placid water
  • golf: mini-golf like near spawn
  • waterpolo: waterpolo with snowballs

Last edited by Sorontar; 23rd July 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Minecraft sports
These are partially based on the sports suggested at Yog-Olympics and Criswelympics
  • spleef - we all know this one but it could be done as teams or individuals
  • fire spleef - based on Criswelympics Pyromania, use fire to destroy blocks and any wooden blocks placed
  • villager tennis - based on Minecraft Tennis - YouTube, using villagers as balls and striking them with enchanted shovels
  • precision diving - diving from heights into a small pool
  • archery diving - based on Yog-Olympics Diving, fire arrows at a target whilst falling from a height
  • cart race - not sure how best to do this, perhaps best as part of a swim-cart-run triathalon
  • sumo balancing - based on Yog-Olympics sumo, pushing your opponent off a single row of elevated blocks
  • wall climbing - based on Yog-Olympics climbing, climbing cliffs of ladders and blocks and waterfalls
  • obstacle course - a mixture of pistons, hole-jumping, climbing, lava and fire, archery traps and anything else you can think of (see Yog-Olympics Obstacle course)
  • switch swimming - timed event, activate levers in a pool
  • fowl basketball - based on Criswelympics basketbawk, throw eggs into your basket, they score if they become chickens
  • snow netball - throw snowballs from player to player and try to get them in the net
  • fowl polo - based on Criswelympics pig-pollo, ride pigs and throw eggs into your goal
  • tower destruction - based on Criswelympics building boom, build a tower to a chest of tnt, set the tnt and redstone to destroy the tower in one blow.
  • mob arena - fight mobs in an arena
  • farm fishing - using fishing rods, race against your opponent to lift animals into your pen
  • redpin bowling - based on mini-golf and Criswelympics slip'n'slime, "throw" snow-balls at torches
  • tnt-trampoline - based on Criswelympics Tri-Nitro Trampoline Jump, use tnt to launch players as high as possible
  • art critic - based on Criswelympics Dart Critique, from a minecart shoot paintings without hitting any animals
  • fowl hockey - based on Criswelympics Clucky Puck, throw snowballs at a chicken to force it into the goal

Last edited by Sorontar; 23rd July 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Okay, added the descriptions, which are by no means final. I just want to give you ideas of what we could build and am open to variations or other suggested sports.

Sorontar

Old 24th July 2012, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 495

Wow alot of great events you have listed. Im honestly up for any of those sports and willing to help build anything i can
Aveege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveege View Post
Wow alot of great events you have listed. Im honestly up for any of those sports and willing to help build anything i can
I am just giving you an idea of what we could do. What we make depends on those who want to build them.

Sorontar

Old 24th July 2012, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master of Squee
Elite - Post: 3153 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Lurking

Spleef is obviously good to go. I've pretty much finished my nether-spleef arena (aka Spleef Club) which is designed specifically for triple-level spleef (which is like double level only funner...)
Old 26th July 2012, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I have been thinking that perhaps we need a triple jump - hop over a single block hole, step for a couple blocks, then jump as long as possible. Like for the long jump, we can measure the jump using pressure plates and redstone circuitry. The first pad you activate is your distance. If you jump too late, you set the first plate off. If you stumble on landing, touching multiple plates, then only the closest one to the start counts.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 26th July 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I had a test run of the Criswelympics tonight. I think there events are much more fun than the Yogs-Olympics ones. Even with Creative mode on, trying to get animals into holes, especially when on the back of a pig is really hard and chaotic. The TNT trampoline was cool. Parts of the redstone circuitry for some of the events doesn't quite work as well as the spawners, but with the spawn eggs and dispensers we can fix most of those if need be.

So it is a good backup world if not much gets made on our own world. The main problem with Criswelympics is that it is placed in the middle of hills so it is hard to know where to go for each event. That is one of the advantages of making our own world.

Sorontar

Old 27th July 2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

Pre constructed looks the way to go. The div is a bit quiet pre 1.3 and we can add a few of our events.