Old 1st September 2012, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 555

Default Need some advice on a build.

I have been working on a project to build a giant maze, with all kinds of traps and monsters. The basic idea is that a player (or group of players) spawn in the middle, and then have to escape, gathering resources and building bases/defenses as they explore.
So far I have been making the walls out of bedrock, so that they can not simply be cut throe. However I find that it does not provide the best looking hallways and the pressure plates are to visible. So I may have to cover the walls/floors/ceilings with some kind of material.

That leads me to why I am posting, here. It presents me with a option for an additional feature, to cover up passage ways with the same material used for covering walls, and them leaving visual clues that something is there. (say use cracked stone brick instead of stone brick when there is an opening behind the wall).
But would doing so be to frustrating?
Erebos is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 1st September 2012, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2991

Grumpy

Have you considered building the map for adventure mode? That way, players who cannot change their game mode won't be able to mine through blocks, if I understand the mode correctly.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irimar View Post
Have you considered building the map for adventure mode? That way, players who cannot change their game mode won't be able to mine through blocks, if I understand the mode correctly.
Yes, but that would limit players to solving the problems presented to them in only the ways I imagined for them. As most creative solutions would properly involve braking/placing blocks.
It might make an fun game, but I had hope to let players take full advantage of all they know about Minecraft.
Old 1st September 2012, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2991

Grumpy

That makes sense. Adventure wouldn't work, then.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

Thought about making the whole thing out of Oak Wood ?

Makes pressure plates and trip wires a little harder to see.

Also put up signs with what blocks can and can't be broken.

Could also be fun if they hit a button and the whole thing sets on fire

There are also wooden buttons now activated by arrows.

Remember to keep a copy of your undamaged maze too.

I have also been playing with the idea of making pressure plates almost invisible in my texture pack, the same way i make glass almost disappear for filming events.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st September 2012 at 01:42 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but you could cover the whole area in pressure plates, as in, on every block, but having only a few actually wired up.

You could leave cryptic clues as to wich ones are safe or not, I wanted to do a similar thing with an Indiana Jones inpired South American temple, the floor would be covered in plates, with a map on the wall or roof, each block on the map corresponds to a pressure plate and you have to follow the map to make it across the room safely..

Last edited by Espesh; 1st September 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Hungover spelling.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
Thought about making the whole thing out of Oak Wood ?

Makes pressure plates and trip wires a little harder to see.

Also put up signs with what blocks can and can't be broken.

Could also be fun if they hit a button and the whole thing sets on fire

There are also wooden buttons now activated by arrows.

Remember to keep a copy of your undamaged maze too.

I have also been playing with the idea of making pressure plates almost invisible in my texture pack, the same way i make glass almost disappear for filming events.
I think covering everything in wood, might provide a little to much of that for building purposes. Though it would make lava traps a lot more interesting

As for the signs saying what to brake and what not to. I have seen that in many “lets play” explosions from creepers, or explosive traps nearly always damages it, often leaving the players to having to repair it or worse feel like they are cheating. The point of bedrock walls was that the “adventure” would need only 2 rules.
1) Escape
2) If you can think of it, and think you need it, then it is allowed.
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espesh View Post
I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but you could cover the whole area in pressure plates, as in, on every block, but having only a few actually wired up.

You could leave cryptic clues as to wich ones are safe or not, I wanted to do a similar thing with an Indiana Jones inpired South American temple, the floor would be covered in plates, with a map on the wall or roof, each block on the map corresponds to a pressure plate and you have to follow the map to make it across the room safely..
Currently 'hallways' are 3 blocks wide. Passageways goes under and over each other, with both loops and dead ends (and a some bigger rooms). Covering the hole place in pressure plates, would make a lot of clicking when players and monsters walked around. I will put in some dummies though, it is after all the best way to get players to lower their guard just enough for the next real trap to get them.