The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/)
-   -   Season's Greetings[Competition: Proposed] (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public/470019-seasons-greetings-competition-proposed.html)

MadMax 6th December 2012 09:13 AM

Season's Greetings[Competition: Proposed]

I'd like to propose a competition to run through until Dec 24. Winner announced shortly after.

The general idea is to produce an image which is essentially a Christmas themed postcard, which is done in Minecraft. I'll leave it up to your creativity to decide how to do it, whether it's an image of a scene you build in Minecraft, or a PhotoShopped image of a xmas tree made up from MC characters, blocks etc I don't really mind. Must be all original work. Feel free to team up to build something if you wish. Preferably with a TOG logo to make it look like a xmas card to the whole TOG community from the TOG MC division. Might make a nice divisional promotion. Hell we should even challenge the other divisions to do better.

Some small prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (eg 3 diamonds, 2 diamonds, 1 diamond), or donations accepted for prizes. I will judge the winning entries, unless someone else wants to go on a judgeing comittee, or we can democratically vote. Default position being that I will be sole judge.

Subject to approval by our admins, and I don't want to tread on the toes of the house design competition, and yes I know many people are busy.

Cheers,
Max

MadMax 6th December 2012 01:01 PM

I've already received an enchanted sword, and pick, as a donation for a prize, thankyou.

P.s. You can do an entirely drawn, via paint, pencils, crayons, clay, software package, as long as it portrays minecraft somehow, in a christmas theme.

A quick Google suggests there are Minecraft Christmas mods and texture packs, so feel free to try these out, no limitations on how you create your postcard scene. The world is your cubic oyster!

segreto 6th December 2012 02:03 PM

I'm up for building a server christmas tree if anyone wants to help.

Misnik 7th December 2012 05:23 AM

Here's a basic one :)

http://imageshack.us/a/img26/7151/minecraftdec.png

A tree on the server could be nice too.

MadMax 7th December 2012 08:29 AM

Well done misnik. Nice framework hehe.

A community xmas tree sounds good too. :D We could create a divisional postcard from it, with people standing in front of it, or as one of the decorations in it.

Can't wait to see Bazz open up his lovely red gift under that tree Mis. ;)

Obsi 7th December 2012 10:53 AM

We could find a spot on Sanctuary to build a decently large tree - maybe some of the redstone wiring gurus can rig it up with nice flashing glowstone lamp lights?

segreto 7th December 2012 11:26 AM

Ill start collecting/farming wood this weekend. What do we want to make it from?

Irimar 7th December 2012 12:51 PM

I would imagine spruce logs and leaves, but others might have other ideas.

Obsi 8th December 2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The last couple of posts here went kaboom with the TOG database :) but Henri had said he's put Sanctuary back up so that we can build it there (and to access fly/creative mode, use the command "/gamemode 1")

I'd said that I created a warp on Sanctuary, called "xmastree" (so /warp xmastree) It's in the snow area on the bottom of the map. We'll have plenty of space there (we can flatten some mountains if we need more space) so we can build a nice big tree!

Espesh 14th December 2012 04:19 PM

I jumped into Sanctuary for the first time in ages and headed to the tree to meet the duck, the base of the trunk is planted and there are some nice presents for players scattered allready around below it..

I added to the tree, but only to the trunk that was there, also put some horizontal branches out just to get a feel on perspective but didn't add anything else. All can be removed easily.

Are we working from a design and have I just set us back? Is there a plan to get a crew on to "work" a shift and get the main tree up at some stage? I thought maybe if we get the main, plain tree up then players could do the decorations, lights etc. at their leisure ?

I love this idea and all our community builds so I'm all for lending a hand, I can't seem to time my game time well lately but I want to help not hinder and last night just felt like I was bumbling around abit without a plan :oops:

* I am talking of the tree here, not the comp. Still deciding what I can do for that one..
** I seem to have no permissions on Sanctuary either, I never play there so that could be why but no warps or gamemode changes for me :confused: