Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st January 2013, 11:54 AM   #211 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5782 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

take time start off as normal minecraft, and gradually start dabbling in the FTB stuff.

My Recommendation is to start off with a Iron Furnace, then gradually work towards a bat box and generator, then eventually you can jump into the deep end with solar cells etc.

In the short term you have several workshops available.
Mine
Admirals
Daed and more

these all have stuff like macerators that allow you to double your ore, (macerate ore to dust, then smelt dust to ingots
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st January 2013, 11:56 AM   #212 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9277

restarted

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 12:43 PM   #213 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I made a quarry in the myst world Just a bit to the south of the portal and map rooms. In there I have apparently hit a big slime chunk and have had many slime spawning in there.

I went ahead and added an extra myst portal in my house next to the basic myst portal if anyone needs to go get some slimes.

Last edited by Misnik; 1st January 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 01:26 PM   #214 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

Quote:
these all have stuff like macerators that allow you to double your ore, (macerate ore to dust, then smelt dust to ingots
Ahh, I did not know that!

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:36 AM   #215 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8366 TOG Silver Level Supporter

That server is really unstable, but it's so much fun to play on that you really can't complain
Keep up the good work Sor
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 01:46 AM   #216 (permalink)

Cheeky

It's definitely a tradeoff

Old 2nd January 2013, 10:21 PM   #217 (permalink)
Master of Squee
Elite - Post: 3066 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Relaxed
Default Link Modifier - Community Project FTB

I'm pretty keen to make/have access to a Link Modifier. If nobody has made one (and jeez you are good if you have!) I thought it might be a good community project given it requires some 70 odd diamonds (insane right?).

Even if we could all donate a few stacks of coal to start with (to be turned into diamonds) I'm sure we'd have what we need in no time. I'm happy to throw 5 diamonds into the mix straight up.

And why bother? Having access to this table has 2 major advantages - you can make it so that you don't drop your books when teleporting AND you can teleport within the same world!!! It's pretty OP and would certainly make getting around a breeze.

Let me know what you all think.

Hoathy
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:53 PM   #218 (permalink)
Master of Squee
Elite - Post: 3066 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Relaxed

72 Diamonds to be precise. So we would need 72 stacks of coal or 72 diamonds or some combo of the two.

Imagine having a few books in you inventory allowing you to go anywhere in any world whenever and as often as you wanted? Makes the portal gun look like a pretty decoration and nothing more!
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:06 AM   #219 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8366 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I will participate with one diamond block. I'm also planning on making a fully automatic diamond making machine (input coal in one end and get diamonds out at the other).

Unfortunately one can't use charcoal to make diamonds, so make sure to use charcoal for everything you can use that for (torches, fuel), leaving the valuable coal to make diamonds out of.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:20 AM   #220 (permalink)

Cheeky
Exclamation FTB Server - Be mindful of what you leave running!

A few of us have just spent an incredibly frustrating few hours trying to deal with an extreme lag situation caused by too much stuff happening in someone's plot of land.

So a general reminder to everyone - Please be aware that leaving machines running and having large amounts of running water does contribute greatly to server lag.

In this particular incident anyone loading the chunks where that house lot was, were effectively frozen with lag and unable to move. They needed to be teleported out of the area by an admin. This was a very serious case of lag - far more than a mere inconvenience.

While it's convenient for you to leave quarries and things running while you are offline - leaving those things running is keeping chunks loaded which can cause lag on the server for everyone else. Please turn anything off that is not needed while you are not on the server - be kind to your fellow players!

Also be mindful of what your machinery set up is, so that you are not causing too much lag in your area. Remember that we've got a lot of people's stuff going all the time. Try to keep your impact on the server as small as you can.

And a note on water in quarries. While it's useful to turn any lava into cobble/stone/obsidian - only one water source is needed (as the quarry digs further down, the water will spread) - and you'll only need it further down the quarry where lava is likely to be. The further water falls, the more lag it creates, so if you can place it lower down, please do so.

Last edited by Obsi; 3rd January 2013 at 12:23 AM.