Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th January 2013, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

I visit the Dadsrfunny fan server occasionally, as my kids watch their youtube channel. That is fairly difficult to get whitelisted as you need to build a substantail house as a guest, then get its construction approved by a mod, while also avoiding getting murdered by all the other guest players.

If you manage to get whitelisted its quite a nice server.

Old 9th January 2013, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
In Memory
Ace - Post: 8622 TOG Legend

Relaxed

what there are other servers other than TOG ??? haha

Thank you Chiack

Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18238

Breezy

I googled and found mcau.org.

Its well developed PvE but i dont understand the rules (/help and /rules gives nothing) and their forum is non-existent. I found a place in the wild and dug a mine. I dont have permission to chat and "permission denied" when i try to place a lockette [private] sign next to my chest as others have done. Im not even certain my mine or inventory will exist in the morning.

I might find a server that is better documented.

Its a jungle out there!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9302

Some servers work by a more complex hierarchy than we have, based on donations and promotions. Perhaps new members to mcau are allowed to do enough to survive but may be limited in many other actions.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

they state the server is in temp mode while they work out how to manage versions. Even tog has that issue. Their downfall is explaining nothing in game or forum. I shall google others.

What is the plan for upgrading frontier server so new blood can join? soon, later, or 'not a priority'?
Old 10th January 2013, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

New players are welcome to join the Frontier server, it's just that Frontier isn't updated to the latest version because we're waiting for our mods to all be updated. Because we run several server-side mods to make our admin jobs easier and provide some additional benefits to players that vanilla minecraft doesn't offer - we have to wait for all those mods to be updated before we can use them (and we have to test them). We have been delayed with this for a few reasons, one being some mods have been slower to update and need additional testing to see if they work, we have been extra busy with Xmas and getting the FTB server set up.

You're also welcome to join the FTB server (which is where most of us are playing at the moment, so Frontier might be very lonely for a while), that is modded, but very easy to install. My beginner's post should help give info about how to use it.

If you've updated your client to the latest version, and want to go on Frontier, you can always use MC nostalgia to backdate your Minecraft to 1.3.2. I personally use Minecraft Profile Manager to handle multiple versions of Minecraft, so I can play the newer versions for Single Player with any updated mods, and I can keep older versions for connecting to the TOG servers or using any mods that haven't been updated. (So what you would do is create a new profile in Profile manager, which will be the most recent version, then backdate that with Nostalgia to 1.3.2)

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ml#post2967475 (Post about using Profile manager, and info on MC Nostalgia is at the bottom of that post)

Last edited by Obsi; 10th January 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

thx obsi. that profile thing isn't obvious in the 101 thread. I'd be less hesitant to try nostalgia with a profile manager in place. If my offer to play test updated mods is of value then happy to help.
Old 10th January 2013, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5856 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

You can always play ftb without the tech it has everything basic mc has
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

There's no real danger messing about with nostalgia (or any mods either for that matter). If worst comes to worst and something gets messed up, you just delete your minecraft.jar and when you launch the game it will download you a shiny new unbroken one (If you have singleplayer savegames, it's best to back those up periodically though)

Quote:
that profile thing isn't obvious in the 101 thread.
Well it's the second post - in the interest of keeping things neater and less confusing, since it was a large bit of text about the one subject, I thought it best to keep that as a separate post. But I can reference it in the post above linking to the post below to make it more obvious.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown

Breezy

Ya - the significance of running multiple profiles means any new comer has a route to the TOG servers. I just didn't join the dots ...

1) install profile manager
2) create a profile for each minecraft version you intend
3) run nostalgia in each profile accordingly

I shall do this right now and give mcau the flick!