Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st March 2013, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Total bandwidth for tog.swoit.as is around 700G in + out/month. That is split between minecraft, webserver with fast download mirror, TF2 servers, mumble. The breakdown if I had to guess would be hard to do, but TF2 is rarely used, and mumble is pretty much nothing.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st March 2013, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 587

Amused

That is good to know, it is much less than I would have thought. Most of the hosting I have seen (based on the memory we require) talks about 3000 - 5000GB/month.
Old 31st March 2013, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
That is good to know, it is much less than I would have thought. Most of the hosting I have seen (based on the memory we require) talks about 3000 - 5000GB/month.
Australian bandwidth is like 100 times more expensive than US bandwidth.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 647

Tired

Will we be sharing the server with another division again or is it going to be MC only?

(I'm still catching up on the recording and reading all the other posts, sorry if the question is already answered.
Old 31st March 2013, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 647

Tired

We've got a XenServer sitting at the old office doing nothing until we can find a new tenant then I'll be ripping it out. It's only got Windows VMs at the moment but I can install anything we'd need. It's hosted on the Gold Coast but is only on a 24Mbit ADSL2+ connection so uploads aren't that good.

The problem is I could have to remove that tomorrow (well I won't, I'm going to take my public holidays for once!) if there are new tenants and we've only got an Internet hookup until June (when the contract runs out) but in all honesty I hope we have tenants to take over the lease well before then.

It's not an ideal situation but as a, perhaps Plan C (I wouldn't even give it a B) it's an option.

Even if we aren't sharing a server with any other division, If we could raise the bank (I would gladly contribute what I can although we're not talking big numbers at the moment) a VPS would give us the flexibility to do what we want rather than only doing what we "can".

I've recently done a lot of research for hosting in Australia because one of our software applications is a Windows Only app. We were looking for the minimum viable product to make it cross platform and we were looking at selling hosting online so the client would login to a webpage which would basically be a remote connection to a VPS where multiple users would be able to login to Windows and have the App run from there. The testing worked great even on tablet devices. Phones not so much, screens were too small.

Local hosting however is so expensive compared to overseas that at the end of the day it will be cheaper and less hassles for us to rebuild the program as a web app (which is a big deal).

So much for minimum viable product... Undone again by the premium we have to pay here for everything (although this is another debate for somewhere else).

Last edited by Akira Doe; 31st March 2013 at 09:46 AM.
Akira Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9298

Thanks Exe. The hosting wouldn't need to be shared with DODS or TF2, the main divisions who we shared Exe's machine with.

I haven't had time to do much of a look around but some overseas servers have Australian machines. For example, Multiplay has machines in Sydney but I haven't checked out their reputation or what they offer.

Minecraft Game Server Rental | Buy MC Server Hosting - Multiplay Gameservers

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 587

Amused

4GB memory for Minecraft (with supposedly ftb mindcrack as an option) is about 80 USD per month for up to 30 players. No mention of bandwidth and for a Sydney server.

The real question is - is that for 30 concurrent users, or 30 users.
Old 31st March 2013, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 309

Bored

Concurrent users at the same time.

Emeraldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 01:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1016

Mellow

Other than proximity and number of TOGGers residing there, is there any other reason we are going with Aussie focused servers?

If the service is right, the cost is right, and all is a right fit, would it matter where it is hosted? Obviously something that isn't in Antarctica but with good peering and connectivity points.
Deweyoxberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 09:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9298

Not really but we know some players like Daed find the distance from client server does make a difference currently. Not sure about your connection Dewey. While a US-based server may be more "centralised", it may then add to the problems for more players. So it makes more sense to me to try and get something good in Australasia.

We will learn from experience. If we keep the contracts to short term initially, say monthly, then we will be able to change if the connection is too bad.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote