Old 20th April 2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9300

Default Update on stickies and changes

The division's stickies will get changed to reflect the new structure. Unfortunately, like all major changes, this has to be done in stages. Requests have been send to the TOG Admins to recognise the World Architects and World Foreman (which has been done), but the changing in the forum structure is a bit more complicated. Once that has been done, we can set up the new permissions as to who moderates what subforums.

So far we have two allied servers - Phoenix and Misnik's FTB Magic World . However, more are welcome if you want to play a different type of Minecraft with Toggers. No player is restricted to any one server, allied or otherwise. At this stage, no Mumble or TeamSpeak channel is restricted to only one server. Yes, we still have a channel for Exe's Mumble server (and I believe that will remain after all) and a new TeamSpeak channel.

The Frontier server also needs to move to a new host and probably be updated to MC 1.5.1. That is yet to be done. If you wish to host it on your own (Linux?) machine for at least 10 players, please say so. Otherwise we may have to chose a cheap server host that meets the admin requirements.

The stickies will be changed to reflect all of this, but with everything in flux, may be a little incomplete and out-of-date for a week or so.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd April 2013, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 3236

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Yes, we still have a channel for Exe's Mumble server (and I believe that will remain after all) and a new TeamSpeak channel.
Excellent!!

MWO: White Bear 84 | Minecraft/Rust: white_bear_84 | BF3/BF4 - Fired_up_Bear84 | ESO: WhiteBear84 |

white_bear_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yes, the TeamSpeak channel is on the normal TOG system.

I am always in two minds about this. I realise that traditionally most players use the Mumble system and the channel on Exe's machine for Minecraft. That is great. However, some players are more comfortable with TeamSpeak. Having some players on the same server on one system and some on the other is not ideal. To some it might even seem rude as not everyone is joining in the community conversation. However, this is one area in which it is up to the Division itself which establish the social norms, not through setting rules or limitations.

With the possibility of players being on different allied servers, there may be times when there is a need to use different channels so events can be run. Having all event conversations on one system and asking all other conversations to be on another may be the way to go in such an occasion. Also, some allied servers might prefer all conversations from players on their server to be restricted to a single system to help them communicate with players. This is where the division needs to politely work with those in charge of the servers and establish what is regarded as acceptable.

Some may see it as a great way to have private conversations with your best mates, rather than using \tell in game. That is possible too if one system is not being used. However, as I mentioned about, some people may regard that as rude if done excessively. Again, work with each other and remember that access to these servers is being provided to TOG as a community.

Ultimately though, not everyone can or wants to be on either channel. Personally I sometimes have technical difficulties with Mumble that prevent me from using it. I am yet to try TeamSpeak. As far as I see it, the crucial thing is to be responsive if someone tries to talk to you in game using the chat window. That is the one method of communication that all players and server admins can be sure will always be available. Any other method is a bonus.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 22nd April 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Mumble is superior technically and commercially, and should be the tog default. It costs practically nothing to host, and could even be integrated with the tog forums without too much effort. I have provided mumble hosting in the past simply to demonstrate that it is a better, cheaper solution, and I firmly believe it should be the TOG default. I don't think I need to keep hosting it - if TOG have an official mumble server (I thought they did?) then you should use that, for unity.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

We may get Mumble hosting with where-ever Frontier ends up being hosted.

TOG did have a Mumble server hosted but there were a lot of issues with it. I don't know whether it was maintained.

Sorontar

Old 23rd April 2013, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The new forums have been added (thanks Rickety) but permissions need to be set. I have copied the posts with the vital details into each allied server forum. Hopefully soon, the World Architects will have mod rights to them and access to their Admin subforums. In the meantime, just give send me a message and I can stick or rename or delete threads.

Sorontar

Old 23rd April 2013, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

BTW, access to existing forums may be a little problematic while the permissions are set up. The existing Divisional Admin team still should have access to their forum but is presently an issue. I will be sending all the team a PM later today to discuss a few things.

Sorontar

Old 23rd April 2013, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Everyone should now have access to what forums they should have access to. However, the mod powers still need to be given to World Architects for their own subforums.

Normal members should not be able to see any subforums with Admin in their name. Please alert us ASAP if you can.

Sorontar

Old 24th April 2013, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Mod powers have been assigned. Misnik and Striker20, you are now in charge of your server's forums. You should be able to make stickies now and edit and delete posts and threads. If you ever want to run a poll though, you'll have to PM me to set it up. Only DCs have the power to activate polls.

I'll continue updating the divisional stickies in the coming days now that we have forums to point to.

Sorontar