Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th August 2013, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 478

Any pack with open peripherals makes me happy
Have to say IAF has been a blast though
any1seenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th August 2013, 05:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 317

Breezy

While I am fairly new, I am happy with whatever is decided. For me the fun is in the adventure and playing with new things. Building structures is secondary. I think my only request is if we restart, could we have a mod pack with more creatures? I briefly tried the morcreature mod and loved having so many monsters/critters to play with (sharks!). I like the other worlds (twilight, mining world) and the bees as well.

Minecraft - daoseden

Retired TOG characters
WOW -Proudmoore Priest - Morg (retired)
GW, TOG4 Pacific Eden Serina, Monk (retired)
Neverwinter - Morg, Control Wizard (semi-retired)
fireh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 05:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2991

Grumpy

Dr. Zhark has expressly forbidden Mo'Creatures from being distributed in mod packs.

It also doesn't play nicely with other mods most of the time. Most mods that add creatures perform extremely poorly in multiplayer.
Irimar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 06:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5851 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

I have liked BTW (better than Wolves) for a while now
[1.5.2] [SSP/SMP] Better Than Wolves (Now with Hardcore Nothing To Worry About) Total Conversion! [V4.891123 upd: August 12] - Minecraft Forum
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 587

Amused

Does look like it may have a certain charm.
Old 16th August 2013, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 88

Dead

How "Hardcore" is it?

I mean I didn't really dig the "Hardcore" nature of GregTech if you get me ...
Towel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 02:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

Hardcore is able to be toggled but things like if you bucket water somewhere it does not create a source block. I can find all the info for you.
Old 16th August 2013, 04:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 478

BTW is a great mod... it has 2 major downfalls though.
a) incompatible with pretty much everything
b) it's author, and drama that seems to go along with him :P
any1seenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by any1seenjoe View Post
BTW is a great mod... it has 2 major downfalls though.
a) incompatible with pretty much everything
b) it's author, and drama that seems to go along with him :P
ya, I could say the same with all mods and mod packs. Atleast the one thing you can guarentee with BTRW is compatability, and it's a hugely complex mod, there are some things with hardcore I don't like but there are things in FTB I don't like so meh.

here is a description of the major differences (sorry for the wall of text) and also a link to the wiki and the Info
[1.5.2] [SSP/SMP] Better Than Wolves (Now with Hardcore Nothing To Worry About) Total Conversion! [V4.891123 upd: August 12] - Minecraft Forum

Wiki
Better Than Wolves Wiki

Quote:
[*** Vanilla Minecraft Differences ***]

The following are changes the mod makes to the way Minecraft works in order to create a more interesting and fun play experience:

Hardcore Movement: This feature affects movement speed (for both the player and mobs) on various material types so that building paths and roads becomes an important part of the game. As a general rule of thumb hard surfaces, or those traditionally used in the making of roads (e.g. cobble, brick, gravel, planks, wool, iron, etc.) increase movement speed, while soft surface (grass, dirt, etc.) leave it unchanged, and materials that you would expect to slow you down (tall grass, snow, crops, Groth, reeds, sand, etc.) do so. All materials that provide a bonus or penalty do so by an equal amount so as not to discourage construction out of a variety of materials. It also removes potions of swiftness from the game (the recipe has been removed and existing potions will cease to have any effect) as these significantly decrease the value of both rail networks previous to this change, and to roads with it, and require very little effort on the part of the player to create.

Hardcore Buckets: This feature basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks in buckets. This makes fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power with Water Wheels, and the transportation of items via water flow) far more interesting to work with without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Later in the tech-tree water may also be transported vertically through the use of Screw Pumps.

Mossy Cobble Farming: This mod makes changes to the way monster-spawners work, so that any cobble stone in the vicinity of spawners will slowly convert into mossy cobble with time. This allows for the creation of automated mossy cobble farms, particularly when Buddy Blocks are employed to detect the growth.

Animal Breeding Tweaks: In order to facilitate the automated breeding of animals, this mod makes a few tweaks to the behavior of animals. First, they are capable of eating loose wheat that is laying on the ground nearby in item form, and enter "love mode" just as if they had been fed by hand. This allows them to be periodically fed from the output of automated wheat farms. Also, they will always attempt to breed with the closest animal also in "love mode" to prevent them getting stuck trying to breed with animals behind walls and such. Lastly, if the animal they are trying to breed with breeds with another animal instead, they will select a new target for their affections instead of just continuing to pursue a lost cause.

Babies Can't Jump: To help with the separation of babies from adults in automated breeding facilities, this mod changes the height to which baby animals can jump to only be half that of adults. This makes it possible to "filter" out adults through the use of a simple one-block high ledge around an animal pen that will only allow the adults to jump out and into the loving arms of your mechanical contraptions.

Hardcore Sheep: This feature causes all sheep to regrow wool in their original color, with dyes only affecting current growth. Babies will also have a color dependent upon the original color of their parents rather than their dye color. This feature also implements a system of cross-breeding and mutation, left for the player to explore and discover, that will determine the color of any offspring. All told, this feature is intended to make sheep-breeding much more interesting, to increase the value of dyes within the game, and to make the discovery of uniquely colored sheep of actual use rather than just a momentary surprise.

Hardcore Chickens: This mod feature attempts to correct some of the nonsensical chicken breeding behavior found in vanilla by *only* allowing chickens to hatch from eggs. Additionally, it changes them so that they will consume seeds rather than wheat, and will only lay eggs if they have been recently fed.

Hardcore Grinding: Given that this mod features a Mill Stone specifically for grinding down substances, it also removes vanilla recipes associated with doing the same thing with a Crafting Table, or which don't make a whole lot of sense in combination with a dedicated grinding machine being in the game. This affects the recipes for bone to bonemeal, wheat to bread (since wheat can be ground into Flour, and then cooked into bread), wheat to cake, sugarcane to sugar, and flowers to dye. This both helps balance the tech tree, and serves to encourage automation through the increased use of the Mill Stone at early stages. ( Thanks to Sarudak for originally proposing this idea, and for going so far as to create a BTW add-on mod that convinced me of what a great idea it is Posted Image )

Hardcore Info: The "F3 debug info" screen has had a very unfortunate effect on gameplay in Minecraft. Despite the game having been "released" for some odd reason Mojang decided to leave an easily accessible debugging tool in the end product, and leave information displayed in it that provides the player with a distinct in-game advantage. In particular, the player co-ordinates provided effectively makes compasses and maps useless, while demotivating players with regards to building roads, rail networks, tunnels, and other infrastructure to connect their various building projects. As a result, BTW disables any information on this screen that provides an in-game advantage while leaving information strictly related to performance tweaking intact. Also, the mod adds an additional display for indicating how close the player is to a chunk boundary since this information can be useful in bypassing vanilla bugs related to blocks resting on chunk boundaries (particularly redstone devices).

Hardcore Bedding: Beds were simply a bad addition to Minecraft. While convenient, the ability to teleport back to a specific location upon death removed much of the impact of death from the game, and more importantly, largely removed any motivation for building rail networks and other means of transportation between bases. Similarly, the ability to skip night largely removed above-ground monsters as a factor from the game, and along with it, much of the need to build defensive structures to counter them. In addition to the above, it also removed weather as any kind of significant aspect to play. In a game largely about building, this is obviously a bad bad thing, and the net result was that MC became far less fun when they were put in the game. To counter this, BTW outright removes both of these abilities. Beds will have a future use within the mod, but for the time being they are strictly decorative.

Hardcore Spawning: Going hand in hand with Hardcore Bedding, Hardcore Spawning adds further weight to death, which is particularly important under anarchy or PvP SMP circumstances as it prevents players from constantly running back to the same location upon death, and discourages "gamey" behavior like intentionally starving to death to gain a full hunger bar. It also encourages exploration, building of multiple bases, and restores some of that "new world" feeling to the game without deleting your entire world. Upon death, the player will be transported to a point some distance from the original spawn, where they will likely encounter pristine wilderness and will have to work their way back to their previous location with time.

Rotted Arrows: BTW includes several tweaks to Minecraft to help make mob-traps an integral part of the gameplay experience. Rotted Arrows help balance this out by causing Skeletons to drop slightly less useful arrows upon their death than those that are crafted by the player. Rotted Arrows will do as much damage as a regular arrow, and are just as accurate, when fired from a regular bow or dispenser. The downside is that they will shatter on impact, meaning that they can not be recollected (this also serves to make things less confusing post-battle, as you will no longer be unable to tell which arrows in the environment can be picked up and which can't because they were fired by skeletons). However, if you attempt to fire a Rotted Arrow from a Composite Bow, it will immediately shatter due to the increased pull-strength of the bow. In addition to helping balance mob-traps, this feature also increases the value of chickens and chicken farms later in the game.

Potion Tweaks: This change allows for potions to be stacked into groups of up to eight within your inventory, making the carrying of potions much more worthwhile.

XP From Villagers: Slaying villagers with this mod will produce massive amounts of XP. In the battle against the Enderdragon, the souls of the innocent/barely-sentient are the most valuable of all!

Minecart Tweaks: This mod reduces this drag on unoccupied minecarts to provide a greater boosting effect due to powered rails. For example, with this mod, storage carts are able to travel approximately 12 blocks between powered rails without losing significant speed, as opposed to 6 blocks without this mod. These tweaks may be disabled through the mod's config file if so desired.

Hatch Tweaks: This mod removes the restriction of having a side-block present so that a hatch may remain where it has been placed. This effectively allows you to place hatches in the middle of floors and in areas that were previously not possible, while not affecting the functionality of the hatch in any other way.

Limited Slime Spawning: Tired of having slimes pop up all over your underground lair while being unable to do anything about it? This change causes slimes to only spawn on dirt and smooth stone so that flooring your base in other materials will allow you to create a slime-free zone. This option may be disabled in the mod config file if you already have slime traps built out of other materials.

Limited Pig Men and Magma Cube Spawning: Isn't it annoying how it is impossible to construct anything in the nether without having Pig Men constantly spawn within your buildings? This change limits the spawning of Pig Men and Magma Cubes to netherrack and nether brick so that laying down a foundation of any other material will prevent them from spawning in an area. This is particularly useful when constructing nether-based minecart networks as you'll no longer have to worry about your carts constantly running into pig-men. However, this change may be disabled through the mod's config file if you so desire.

Visually Distinct Infinity Arrows: This mod adds a separate "magic arrow" texture to arrows fired from bows with the infinity arrow enchantment, to make it more apparent as to why they can't be picked-up once fired.

Wolf Tweaks: Tired of being able to hand your wolf pork-chops, while he will completely ignore food that's laying on the ground right next to him? This change causes wolves to consume any meat that happens to be scattered about their vicinity, healing them in the process and causing them to produce dung. Note that they will not eat in this manner unless they are either hungry, or wounded. Also, this mod changes wolf behavior so that they will no longer move to attack if they are sitting, which is extremely useful when creating automated systems involving wolves. However, an additional restriction is placed on wolves in BTW in that they will refuse to eat rotten flesh. Kibble is instead presented as an alternative means of keeping your wolves fed using various waste products.

Tabby Cats: Because the only thing better than cats, is a tabby cat. Tabby cats are cool.

Powered Cake: By popular demand, this mod allows you to power cake! Notch was obviously out to lunch when he failed to include this feature in vanilla Minecraft, so I decided to correct this glaring design-flaw and allow cake to be properly powered through redstone current, as one would naturally expect it to function.

Villagers Toss The Milk: Another huge oversight on Notch's part, BTW is always here to make up for those deficiencies.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 2186

Fine

I too am a new player to both the server and ftb, i had only previously played vanilla and im loving this mod although some of it is pretty complicated (the gregtech stuff i assume)
I know a reset and or mod change might attract more players but id be pretty devastated to lose my 3/4 built castle and all the resources ive gathered.
but i think id get over it, ive learned heaps so i think id recover pretty quick