Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Minecraft (Public)

Minecraft (Public) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th November 2014, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2066

Lurking
Default Nuclear Reactor control circuit

Hello,

yes, I know a few don't like Routers cause they have problems, I have yet to find... but here is a control circuit I have designed, its not fool proof, as in logging off will not stop the reactor in a "safe" step... but I have a Lever which when allowed to cycle far enough before logging off disables the whole reactor until its re-enabled next time..

Sorry about white on black, screen grab from draftsight (free AutoCAD program)

if you want a DWG file -> http://www.rods.id.au/minecraft/Reactor_Control_V1.dwg

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th November 2014, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5786 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

nice
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lurking

Here is a picture of the actual reactor, I have built the chambers, but I have not populated them with cooling components as yet, so I have not placed Red Alloy Wire across them to "Enable" each unit, there are approx 13 chambers around the site (far enough up to not remove land if it decides to vaporize again...

In the drawing above..
Timer - T=4s, this is the ON time of each step in the cycle

Counters - N=1 (top) is the INC Step, N=-20 (bottom) is the DEC Step
As the DEC step is only a single pulse from the max point, this is used as the reset pulse, once reset, the MIN output is used to enable the reactor.
T=1.....13 this is the Reactor Number, each reactor is enabled for 4 seconds before cycled to the next unit and allowed to cool down, this value was preset in the counter using a lever

Last counter N=1, N=1000, this is a 1000 step counter and is used in the refresh cycle.

2nd last counter N=1, N=10, this is the refresh cycle counter, time period = NxT (N=10 x T=4) = 40 seconds.

The 1000 counter once hits max count auto resets to Zero, this output is used to reset the N=10 counter, this counter when in MAX or MIN count will have either output to the NOR gate, the output of that will enable the INSERT Routers filling the reactor cavities with quad cells (6 in total) and disable the EXTRACT Routers from the single input NOR gate (Inverter), on the next count after reset, both outputs of the N=10 counter will be low, disabling the INSERT Routers, and Enabling the EXTRACT Routers, the extraction process has 40 seconds to extract all the quad cells, each router is setup to only extract from a single SLOT, so, therefore, each router will pull a single quad cell from each reactor.

If I set the Routers to pull say from the bottom, it will be too busy pulling every component from the reactor, and 40 seconds it will not pull enough cells out, then you will have to have enough Routers to fully rebuild the internals of each reactor...... ONLY the quad cells need to be replaced.

I have no need to check if the fuel cells are depleted or not, this circuit is just a load-unload circuit, the fuel cell manufacturing plant looks after building the quad cells, and converting the depleted cells to quad MOX cells, I'm not running a breeder reactor as yet, have to work out a automatic way of controlling the temperature of the reactor, will get there...

postcount=++
Old 9th November 2014, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lurking

Here is a picture of the Reactor loaded, it may not be as efficient as it could be, but this is the minimum I could find, I did try a reactor design java script, but it didn't really handle the Component Heat Vents, including them or removing didn't make a difference,, that must be a glitch in the program, cause you use them to cool the Advanced Heat Vents and the LZH-Condensators

The Advanced Heat Vents will allow the reactor to run for about 16 seconds before they burn out, the LZH-Condensators take much longer, but I'm running a 4 second cycle ON time, this isn't really an issue, the Advanced Heat Vents are expensive taking 1 diamond per vent, but the LZH's take a hell of a long time to build, the Component Heat Vents are not much shorter in time

I tried the coolant, but their not as good in the cooling as the advanced, and I think they heat up faster than the advanced.

This combination will give you 360EU/t stacking the reactors as I have done will give 720EU/t for about 52 seconds, then 28 seconds zero output, this can be shortened... bit of a pain at the moment...

postcount=++
Old 9th November 2014, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 426

There are a few other things you could try as well. Like pulling out reactors cooling parts, replacing with fresh ones, and moving the older ones into reactors with no fuel rods in for cooling.
I believe computercraft may treat reactors as a peripheral with open peripherals, maybe giving some more information like temperatures. I do know they can read the EU in a mfsu.
Looking into something other than routers is recommended since they have actually been removed from factorization.
Glad I'm not the only one who busts out logic design/sim software for redstone circuits :P
any1seenjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Lurking

nah I don't use logic sim circuits, the only thing I tried was the reactor design script, the Logic gates is piss easy, .... having a basis in electronics and Advanced Dip. Engineering - Electronics does help

postcount=++
Old 9th November 2014, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Minecraft

dip. in electronic engineering myself. I still like to test things in various ways. The sim software I used to use mainly for vanilla redstone, since with project red, it's easier to just go into creative mode for testing.
Maybe I should convert my essentia control system on nightmare to a schem
Old 9th November 2014, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5786 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

to help with cooling (and it has been a while since I did nuclear reactors with IC2) have you tried pumping ice into the unit, that used to provide a tone load of cooling!
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
to help with cooling (and it has been a while since I did nuclear reactors with IC2) have you tried pumping ice into the unit, that used to provide a tone load of cooling!
That hasn't worked since minecraft 1.2.5.... I miss my snowmen cooled reactors

Now the closest you can get is pulling the hot components out and putting them in other reactors with no fuel to cool
Old 9th November 2014, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lurking

this is why I went with reactor cycling, so the components have cool down time, but I maintain the power delivery, ok, takes a lot more components, but less chance of digging holes :P

postcount=++