Old 1st October 2010, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Default Sorontar's Exploratory Expedition

Sorontar's Exploratory Expedition Kinship (SEEK) has recently set out on another expedition. They seek to uncover places of mystery, ancient architecture and other mystical locations then preserve them for the generations to come. Their present expedition covers roughly the following areas. They ask that the lands be left undisturbed so that they can apply their professional archaelogical expertise before all traces of times past are lost.

Thank you,

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th October 2010, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Thanks to those who helped me put out the fire on my airship last night. Your effort was much appreciated. I have started to reconstruct it from what was saved but this may take a week due to other time constraints.

And no, the fire wasn't mysterious. It was all my fault. I have to remember that after helping others light fireplaces I need to put the lighter back into my inventory. Accidentally using it in the captain's wood-paneled cabin should be avoided. :^/

Sorontar

ps. I have added a warp "airship" to take you to the half-stone behind the steering wheel, since warping to the airship was one of the things that would have helped the firefighting. Hopefully, we won't need to do that again.

pps. Reminder on sticky - take screenshots of what I build, regardless of whether I have finished the interior or not.

Last edited by Sorontar; 25th October 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

I feel bad since it was ultimately my laziness that caused it.... then I think I made it worse by trying to flood everything.... which didn't put out any fires, just made it really hard to move around

I 'd left my flint behind somewhere in one of my chests and asked if Sorontar happened to have his... which is why he had it in his hands when we went back to his ship had I not been so lazy and just gone searching for mine.....
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Fear not about the water, much of that was mine too. I had been building a lake so I had plenty on hand. I suspect the water prevented further blocks catching alight. At least enough of the structure and non-burnables (plus my memory) are there that I can rebuild the hull.

I have now screenshots from the map images of everything I have made, even if it isn't made of wood. I *strongly* recommend that everyone else does likewise.

Last edited by Sorontar; 25th October 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 25th October 2010, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

This thread should be titled, "um honey, I burnt the airship".
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
This thread should be titled, "um honey, I burnt the airship".
:^/ That was what I pretty much what I said to her when it happened.

Last edited by Sorontar; 10th November 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Default The travels of Benedict Twiddlebottom

Welcome to the clubrooms of S.E.E.K., Sorontar's Exploratory Expedition Kinship (/warp sorontar.seek). Normally we would meet here to tell tales of our successful journeys and what strange and ancient things we have discovered. However, today I fear I have bad news for it seems that one of our members is missing.

One Benedict Twiddlebottom, nephew of the legendary Sir Reginald Twiddlebottom, set off last month in his airship to travel east of here and update the maps. A simple matter, he should have been back after two weeks, but he has vanished.

Our rescue party has managed to locate this airship (sorontar.airship) but that is where the wierdness starts. Benedict is not aboard.

The crew's bunks are also empty.

The supplies in the hull have not been disturbed.

The engine is still warm

and the cannons are all armed and primed, yet no-one is here to fire them.

We have managed to locate the log in the captain's cabin and from that we have started to piece together where he has travelled. There are many sites that seem a little different from the original maps so we may have to visit them on foot.

He first passed over the Ancient Amphitheatre of Audacity, a simple ruin that makes use of the natural sand.

Then he travelled above the avenue of trees that led to Blockhenge, a ceremonial site that is still rumoured to be occasionally used by various groups (sorontar.blockhenge).

After that he had to turn right to avoid a mountain that loomed before him in the clouds. That took the airship over a small bay whose entrance is highlighted by the Lighthouse of Pyros, an old waymarker in tribute to the god of enflammed warriors (sorontar.lighthouse).

Heading back over land, he flew above a giant horse-like image marked on the ground using sand (sorontar.horse, cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffington_White_Horse).

That led him to the marshy delta at the mouth of a river (sorontar.marsh).

He followed the river up to these deep twin lakes which he marked on his updated maps (sorontar.sand), since the old maps only show one shallow lake.

There he turned and headed back towards the mountain that had previously been an obstacle. Approaching it more cautiously this time, he located an oriental-style building near its peak (sorontar.refuge). Carefully he docked the airship there and investigated.

It seems that this refuge has long been out of use. There are remnants of beds and cushions there but little else. High above is a bell but I suspect that that it hasn't been rung for a while (sorontar.bell).

But little else is in the captain's log. He did report that the sound of beasts was heard during the night coming from the peaks, but it seemed not to be a problem.

His last notes were that he thought he had found the entrance to a mine and that he suspects this is King Sorontar's Mine (sorontar.mine) and will have to investigate it. However, many tales have been told of this mine and Erebor, the mountain it lies within. They tell of treasures and splendour. They tell of reward and prestige. I fear that Benedict Twiddlebottom has met his end searching for a legend. For such a place will be treacherous and dangerous, for the tales also say that he who visits Erebor may not be alone.....

Here ends the tale from SEEK, for now. Various of these sites are still occasionally added to. The Mine has barely been started. The "thing" and the treasure are nowhere near ready and are not accessible, so I wouldn't waste your time looking for them. That last photo is just a teaser of what I am working on. I'll send another post when the challenge of the mines is finished. In the meantime, you are welcome to use the warps to visit my various other building and terraforming sites. Be sure to put on your pith helmet and safari suit and learn the local language. You never know what you might find in the wilderness.

Last edited by Sorontar; 15th November 2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: enlarged photos, link about horse
Old 10th November 2010, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 37

Innocent

Poor Benedict :

Fun adventure to go through I'll be sure to check out those warps ingame.
flibble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Top job
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

the shot through the air ship towards sunset is a cracker